Help for a beginner

Dec 25, 2010
Hello everybody !

So I've just bought a new deck of tally ho cards to begin cardistry but I find that the cards are very slippery. Could you give me some tips to avoid that because I've some difficulties to keep the cards together ?

Also, as it's a new deck, my cards are stiff. So could you give me some tips to make them more supple please ?

Thanks,
CGraphic

Dec 25, 2010
Yes a I know that but the problem is that the other deck I had was in very bad condition and so I've bought a new one, a Tally'Ho deck.

Dec 1, 2010
To break in a new deck i dribble the cards one way 6 times, then the other way 6 times. you do that about three times.

Jul 23, 2009
I would suggest that you work it in a bit. practice spreading and fans and doing different card routines that use sleights. That should give you a chance to get used to the feel and possibly give them a little more grip. As for making them supple, you can try springing the cards. That is how i usually break a new deck in.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
A lot of people have been asking for help on how to break in a new deck and here's a fairly simple yet thorough guide:

Step 1: Wash your hands in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly...
Step 2: Open the new pack somehow...
Step 3: Remove the advertisement/sudoku/whatever cards but leave the jokers in if you want to...
Step 4: Do a nice riffle shuffle and bridge; turn the deck 180° and do another riffle shuffle and bridge. Do this again and then turn the deck face up and repeat the riffle shuffles...
Step 5: Do two LePaul spreads and turn the deck 180° and do another two LePaul Spreads. Do this face up twice and face down twice...
Step 6: Do two springs then turn the deck face up and do another two springs.
Step 7: Do a few pressure fans face up and down and throw in an "Under-pressure" or two...
Step 8: Do a few of your favourite flourishes...
Step 9: Replace the deck back into the pack and put it into a porper or under a few heavy books and leave it there for about two hours before using it again so you have a nice cool, broken-in deck...

So to recap what we have done to break in our new deck:
riffle shuffle face down and bridge x2, turn 180° and riffle shuffle face down and bridge x2, riffle shuffle face up and bridge x2, turn 180° and riffle shuffle face up and bridge x2, LePaul spread face down x2, turn 180° and LePaul spread face down x2, LePaul spread face up x2, turn 180° and LePaul spread face up x2, spring face down x2, spring face up x2, pressure fans face down, under-pressure face down, pressure fans face up, under-pressure face up, a few of your favourite flourishes, back in the deck to cool down...

All this should take less than 5 minutes to do.

Note: Everyone has a different understanding and feel of "broken-in" so what feels best for you is broken-in.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Shanku

This is copied and pasted from Decknique. Credits to Shanku.

Dec 25, 2010
S.G: I don't understand why is it usefull to replace the deck under heavy books for two hours. What happen to the deck ? I did it but a don't feel any difference.
And all your tips are usefull to make the deck more supple and it really work, but what could I do to make it less slippery ?

Thanks everybody for your advice :)
CG

May 31, 2008
S.G: I don't understand why is it usefull to replace the deck under heavy books for two hours. What happen to the deck ? I did it but a don't feel any difference.
And all your tips are usefull to make the deck more supple and it really work, but what could I do to make it less slippery ?

CG

Placing the deck under heavy books is to straighten out the cards if they are bent.

To make the cards less slippery, just keep using them, it will slowly go away.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010

CG

Pressure ends up flattening the cards more. This is after doing lots of springs and stuff.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results