Help with an unknown move.

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum and, because it seems like such a splendid place, wondered if some fellow card fanatics could help me:)

So, there's a move I'd very much like to learn, but I don't know what it's called. This move was featured in an episode of The Real Hustle and is often used as a cheat in Blackjack. A description of the move is as follows:

Two cards lay face down on the table. The magician has, in some way, two cards palmed, perhaps held by the thumb - but not tenkai. His/her hand is flat. The magician sweeps in their right hand from the right and "turns" over the two cards, in the process exchanging them for the cards in his hand and stealing the two from the table. Viola. Blackjack.

Very impressive move. Very hard, too, I imagine. But I really want to at least try it, as it's such a brilliant move. I've just found a clip of the move performed rather awesomely by Paul Wilson from The Real Hustle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABTyuzkQF4I (The move is executed from about 2 minutes in)

I would really appreciate any help at all, and hope this is the right place to look.:)

Thanks

Danny

May 22, 2008
I might be wrong, but i think the palm is a FLAT PALM, and the concept of switching cards like this is called MUCKING. Not sure where you can learn it, but there's a lot out there.

Dec 18, 2009
The not so noble art of switching cards while in play is known as "hand mucking". There are several types. The one most commonly used in blackjack is the macmillan switch. If you're playing poker in the form of texas hold' em cheaters will most likely use a two card muck and switch out two cards. The technique for switching out two can be applied to switch out as many as you'd like. Hope I could help. If you have further questions feel free to pm me.

Well, I just bought the tutorial for the MacMillan switch by Jason England. Well worth it, and I've kiiiinda got the hang of it. Only problem is, I can't seem to manoeuvre the card concealed in my hand out properly. When I curl back the card from the table, my thumb seems to be pushing out the one in my hand so that the longer edges of the cards are perpendicular to each other. This makes the card catch and I can't flip it out on the table. I'm not sure if I'm holding it wrongly to begin with or what =/ Maybe it's just practice. Also, when the card gets curled back into my hand, it always seems to stick out a little near my thumb, so the only good views are from ahead and to the right.

Dec 18, 2009
Well, I just bought the tutorial for the MacMillan switch by Jason England. Well worth it, and I've kiiiinda got the hang of it. Only problem is, I can't seem to manoeuvre the card concealed in my hand out properly. When I curl back the card from the table, my thumb seems to be pushing out the one in my hand so that the longer edges of the cards are perpendicular to each other. This makes the card catch and I can't flip it out on the table. I'm not sure if I'm holding it wrongly to begin with or what =/ Maybe it's just practice. Also, when the card gets curled back into my hand, it always seems to stick out a little near my thumb, so the only good views are from ahead and to the right.
Hmm I don't know how to do the macmillan switch. However I do know other mucking techniques and what helps me is bending the corner of the card just slightly as if you are peaking at it before making the switch. And yes practice is important. You can't expect to perform this minutes after you learn it. Everything comes with practice. Good luck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results