Help with "Dribble Spread"

May 23, 2016
Italy

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong ( probably is something with my middle finger but I don't understand what)

if someone could help me out and tell me what's wrong it'll be very helpful.

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
From what I can tell the cards are getting caught on your middle finger as you riffle the cards off. As you drop the cards you need to slowly loosen your grip with the middle finger. When you start your middle finger is curled in and as you dribble the deck your middle finger should move outwards so that the cards don't get caught on it. Hopefully that makes sense and helps! :D

Reactions: Bart D

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
Watch this...

By using three fingers at the outer edge, you will have better control and the cards will not rotate left or right as they fall. What Dean Magic said still applies here, you will need to roll out your fingers in order for your finger flesh to get out of the way.

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
You're giving too many degrees of freedom to the cards.
Notice that the packet is bent with the index in the middle: that allows the cards to obtain an angular momentum, in addition to the momentum provided by gravity when you release the cards, and that causes the cards to flip around the front finger.
Get rid of the pressure in the middle, and just let gravity do the work while gently releasing with the thumb, all the extra actions should be aimed at controlling the direction where the cards are falling.
I recommend starting with a narrow gap between the packets, you go too high!
Then when you get the flow of dribbling the cards right (which you can tell also by sound), you can get the packets a bit far away.
Last point: since the cards are released one after another, one mistake may collapse the form. Releasing the cards as individual as you can, in a steady manner, will help the overall structure, while having clumps while you dribbling will cause to have "heavy" packets which will dictate where the following cards are going to land.
If cards flips in one direction, the hand should slowly move to balance the non-parallel motion of the cards.

May 28, 2013
watch how you hold it with the thumb. u should hold the thumb on the other side. and use 3 fingers to hold the top

May 23, 2016
Italy
Of course, I wouldn't have been able to progress as I did without the tips that you guys have given me , so thanks a lot to everybody that helped.

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
That's much better! Congrats! Now keep practicing. You want a nice regular flow, with a nice low regular sound: frrrrrrr!

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
Actually it is very good!
You have almost erased the hard index pressure, now it's just time to practise enough to be able to release cards one at the time, that will get the dribble very smooth.
You'll find out that you can dribble from any direction, with any motion, attaining different result.
For example the "anaconda" uses just the physics of cards getting the angular momentum and dragging one after another holding eachother's shape while freefalling, and that was just what happened to you before (the physics is the same, but the technique is different).
That was a consideration of mine: some bad form, if controlled, can turn into something good.
Keep practising, you've basically done it

May 28, 2013
alot better now. can you do it slower too? like litteraly drop 1 card at at time?
i cant even do it like u do it. i have to have my pinky or ring fingr on the top corner. thats how i get more control

May 23, 2016
Italy
You mean a dribble slower like this?

If you mean this then yes (I could do it slower but it wouldn't be a dribble anymore)

May 28, 2013
well its good. now you can tell the spectator to tell you when to stop.
now you can work on height. and if you are bored you can practice releasing 1 by 1 very slow, just to see if you actually dribbling them 1 by 1 and not clumps of 2 -3 cards. you dont have to but just to see if the grip is good

May 23, 2016
Italy
well its good. now you can tell the spectator to tell you when to stop.
now you can work on height. and if you are bored you can practice releasing 1 by 1 very slow, just to see if you actually dribbling them 1 by 1 and not clumps of 2 -3 cards. you dont have to but just to see if the grip is good

Ok thanks for replying:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results