Help with the Diagonal Palm Shift (EATCT)

whats up guys. I'm coming to you hoping someone can help me out with some advice on the Diagonal Palm Shift. I was working on this for a while but put it to the side and I want to*start working on it again. What*I*need help with the is*"pivot" move*that moves the card into position for the palm. What is the proper way the pivot should be done (and look). I ask because in the*version of the*EATCT*I have, the diagram isnt very detailed*and doesnt really make it easy to understand (at least for me). I guess my main concern is since I haven't seen the move (from exposed view), Im not to sure if*what I'm doing is right. I know my question wasnt really detailed but any advice that you have to offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
whats up guys. I'm coming to you hoping someone can help me out with some advice on the Diagonal Palm Shift. I was working on this for a while but put it to the side and I want to*start working on it again. What*I*need help with the is*"pivot" move*that moves the card into position for the palm. What is the proper way the pivot should be done (and look). I ask because in the*version of the*EATCT*I have, the diagram isnt very detailed*and doesnt really make it easy to understand (at least for me). I guess my main concern is since I haven't seen the move (from exposed view), Im not to sure if*what I'm doing is right. I know my question wasnt really detailed but any advice that you have to offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

whe you have your card insert in the deck , your left thumb contact the selection on the left upper corner and with the left pinky on lower right , not corner but on the right widthwise on the selection, your right hand in biddle grip just push the deck forward, but not the selection ! so the card is on the good position, then you pull back the deck, so everything move back, put your left pinky on the lenghtwise of the selection and push the deck forward again, the card pivot in your left palm, if you can , i suggest you to download this technique taught by jason England on this site, it 'll be easier
good luck

Feb 4, 2008
I know some people hate the thought of paying twice for the same effect(ie. buy EATCT and an instant download) but I too had some difficulty with that move and knowing the potential power of it I really wanted to learn it. I bought the John Carney "on demand" and the Jason England "one on one." Of the two I found Jason England's 1-on-1 the more helpful. Both give lots of visual explanations of the move but Jason went into more depth on the move itself whereas John Carney covered more applications.

As for visualizing how it should look...It should look as if you square the deck lengthwise and then come back and square again width wise.. At least that is how I try to make mine look. Gives me justification to 1st-get the card in position for the pivot and 2nd- make the pivot into the palm.

Jun 10, 2010
I know some people hate the thought of paying twice for the same effect(ie. buy EATCT and an instant download) but I too had some difficulty with that move and knowing the potential power of it I really wanted to learn it. I bought the John Carney "on demand" and the Jason England "one on one." Of the two I found Jason England's 1-on-1 the more helpful. Both give lots of visual explanations of the move but Jason went into more depth on the move itself whereas John Carney covered more applications.

As for visualizing how it should look...It should look as if you square the deck lengthwise and then come back and square again width wise.. At least that is how I try to make mine look. Gives me justification to 1st-get the card in position for the pivot and 2nd- make the pivot into the palm.

A quick note on John Carney:

While John Carney is a great performer with nicely structured effects, his palming SUCKS. I found a couple of videos of him palming (I think it was dan and dave who have clips of them all in their on-demand section) and he flashed on EVERY ONE.

I HIGHLY recommend the Jason England palming downloads, depending on your needs. The palming fundamentals is a must for beginners who need a cheap resource, and the DPS and Gambler's Cop downloads I will blindly say are superb, based entirely on England's background and previous learning experiences via PMs and 1-on-1's.

So, long story short: Stay away from Carney at first. He may have things to add, but I'd start with JE as his rhythm is great and he doesn't flash terribly in the trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
A quick note on John Carney:

While John Carney is a great performer with nicely structured effects, his palming SUCKS. I found a couple of videos of him palming (I think it was dan and dave who have clips of them all in their on-demand section) and he flashed on EVERY ONE.

I HIGHLY recommend the Jason England palming downloads, depending on your needs. The palming fundamentals is a must for beginners who need a cheap resource, and the DPS and Gambler's Cop downloads I will blindly say are superb, based entirely on England's background and previous learning experiences via PMs and 1-on-1's.

So, long story short: Stay away from Carney at first. He may have things to add, but I'd start with JE as his rhythm is great and he doesn't flash terribly in the trailers.

Just for the sake of balance, I'd like to say that I found it very difficult to grasp the DPS when learning it directly from Erdnase. It was only when I watched John Carney's palming DVD that I got it. So, for someone coming to the move for the first time, I can recommend learning from Carney, even though you may then want to go on to look at other people's perspective on the move. There are several variations in the literature, so it might be worth trying out a few sources after you get to grips with the fundamental mechanics.

Jun 10, 2010
Just for the sake of balance, I'd like to say that I found it very difficult to grasp the DPS when learning it directly from Erdnase. It was only when I watched John Carney's palming DVD that I got it. So, for someone coming to the move for the first time, I can recommend learning from Carney, even though you may then want to go on to look at other people's perspective on the move. There are several variations in the literature, so it might be worth trying out a few sources after you get to grips with the fundamental mechanics.

Fair enough, I had trouble for a bit at first too. I was merely weary based on what I saw of his palming.

To the OP, here's one tip you should remember when you're in the beginning stages of doing the DPS: The hand providing shade (the one that's also actually holding onto the deck) should move forward, rather than the hand with the (to be) palmed card moving back.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
You could also give this link a try http://www.doublefacers.com/page/2/ there is a tutorial for the DPS on that page from Tony Chang and its free.
That was pretty good for brushing up on my technique but despite how much effort I put in to this my friends and family always see the shift, I really don't understand where I'm going from with angles. I can't see it in the mirror or when my laptop is recording so I really don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
From what I understand, the best description for the DPS is in Erdnase. I'm certain supplementing with other material will help, but Erdnase is the best.

If you can afford it, take a lesson with Aaron Fisher on the DPS. His DPS is superb, and learning from him will help you. Also, I don't know if you do a bottom palm, but I was told to start with a bottom palm and then move to the DPS.

Hope this helps.

Jun 10, 2010
From what I understand, the best description for the DPS is in Erdnase. I'm certain supplementing with other material will help, but Erdnase is the best.

If you can afford it, take a lesson with Aaron Fisher on the DPS. His DPS is superb, and learning from him will help you. Also, I don't know if you do a bottom palm, but I was told to start with a bottom palm and then move to the DPS.

Hope this helps.

Not quite. It is the first publication of the DPS that most people use, however, I would never go as far as saying that the written explanation in there is the best.

I, personally, don't see a correlation between the bottom palm and DPS in terms of learning one first, as far as mechanics. Only thing I can think of is having it in a comfortable position, something you'll learn just as easily for both of them.

Jun 20, 2009
near paris

Hope this helps.

mine is not bad ! lol

Thanks for all the help guys, sorry if I don't respond specifically to every post but I appreciate the help. I actually haven't had much experiencing on the bottom palm either, ill take that into consideration. The way I'm am leaning it is actually the written erdnase explanation so ill look into the 1 on 1 and John Carney material. Thanks for the answers and all the help guys

Aug 31, 2007
I can personally recommend the DPS download from Jason England, it really helped in my learning of it. I got a chance to sit down with Jason at Magic-Con 2010 and was blown away at how smooth and undetectable his DPS was, not to mention his work on dealing and shuffle stacking. Ridiculous stuff. I'm also a big fan of Carney, but haven't had a chance to check out his downloads on DnD. Might be good to post a video of what yours looks like for us to give tips and pointers on it.

~Zach

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results