Help with the muscle pass...

Feb 17, 2017
Hi, I need some help with the coin falling up trick. I can shoot the coin to the other hand, but how exactly do you shoot it upward? Do you tilt your hand so the coin faces upward, or is there some other way? Thanks. :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
It take a lot of practice, but when done correctly it is a beautiful move. I myself eventually gave up on it. Ha
Johnny Ace Palmer did it in front of me a few times and it was seriously like watching a coin float upwards into his hand. It should not look like a toss upwards.

Reactions: Josh Burch

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
The muscle pass in my opinion is the best coin sleight.
It looks impossible, feels impossible, and can be used in a countless amount of applications. My advice if you want to get some insane lift on your pass is to lubricate your hand. Ironically this is the one move in which having sweaty palms greatly improves it

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I never got good at it. Practiced until I had a circular bruise in my palm, and I could get a good foot sideways, but never got any decent height on it. My buddy got really good at it. He practiced until his palms bled.

I love watching it done. Just the anti-gravity coin bit looks so magical to me, watching the coin go in reverse like that. If you get really good at it, you should be able to put the back of your hand against a table or stool and still have the coin fly up. I think Jay Noblezada did a video on the muscle pass?

The most impressive use I've seen was from Shoot Ogawa. I went to one of his lectures early on my magic career, and watching that man work coins is incredible. The method is just as beautiful as the act. After the lecture a few of us were chatting with Shoot and he does one of those, "Let me show you something" kinda things, and at one point a coin vanishes and I hear a *tink!* from my bracelet. At that moment I realized he had just muscle passed a coin up MY sleeve, without my seeing it.

Feb 17, 2017
I can now do about a foot horizontally, but it won't go up a lot... Am i doing something wrong or is there more practicing to do? I have a callous on my palm, so it is slightly easier. Thanks!

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
I can now do about a foot horizontally, but it won't go up a lot... Am i doing something wrong or is there more practicing to do? I have a callous on my palm, so it is slightly easier. Thanks!

There is absolutely no difference shooting the coin up than horizontally, can you supply a video of you doing both versions of the sleight? I cant fathom a reason you are having this much trouble

Feb 1, 2017
There is absolutely no difference shooting the coin up than horizontally, can you supply a video of you doing both versions of the sleight? I cant fathom a reason you are having this much trouble

Wouldn't shooting up against gravity be harder than shooting perpendicular to it?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yes when going vertical you're fighting gravity so you won't get the same distance as horizontal.

But at this point it's probably just a matter of practice and strengthening muscles that don't normally do what you're making them do.

Reactions: Nerv
Feb 17, 2017
Yes when going vertical you're fighting gravity so you won't get the same distance as horizontal.

But at this point it's probably just a matter of practice and strengthening muscles that don't normally do what you're making them do.
oh, ok thanks! Is there a way to "hide" the fact that you are shooting it with your thumb muscles from the spectator?

Feb 18, 2015
I move my hands as if my upper hand is making the coin fly up. I am almost at 1 and a half feet :). Have not so sweaty, but not so dry hands, and keep practicing whenever you have a coin.
One of the things that is very helpful for SMALL Hands is the muscle pass for a quarter. I can just borrow a quarter and muscle pass it! I can even do a penny.

Also, there are other uses for muscle passes; coin through glass wall visually (lateral), coin teleportation, vanishes, 2 coins across, etc.

Feb 17, 2017
I move my hands as if my upper hand is making the coin fly up. I am almost at 1 and a half feet :). Have not so sweaty, but not so dry hands, and keep practicing whenever you have a coin.
One of the things that is very helpful for SMALL Hands is the muscle pass for a quarter. I can just borrow a quarter and muscle pass it! I can even do a penny.

Also, there are other uses for muscle passes; coin through glass wall visually (lateral), coin teleportation, vanishes, 2 coins across, etc.
ah, thanks!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results