Helping Out.

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit, MI
Hey guy's WakingHollow here, as you may or may not know Christmas is a time for giving and helping other's, and recently i was doing some street magic and i was asked to preform at the Rec Center, it will be about 5 hours and the people there will be homeless and less-fortunate familes so if any magician or cardist is residing in spartanburg South Carolina or near there and you wouldnt mind coming out and helping it would mean alot to both me and all the people in attendence, you won't be paid so it is a gift from us to them.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
A SUGGESTION. . . make this YOUR annual project!

Adopting a non-profit or two within your community will take you far in the public mind, so let your talent and actions speak on your behalf.

Something to think about. . . see if you can muster up some sponsors. Go to area food stores and see if they will give you gift cards that can be worked into your magic as give-aways. . . a $10.00 or more grocery gift card can really make a homeless person's day be it for regular food stuffs or a meal at a local diner, etc. If you can weave routines around such coupons or even cash donations, you will be able to deliver some "real Holiday Magic" into these people's lives. Other such gifts would include free hair cuts or make-overs, pet care, clothing, children's gifts, books and a long list of other odds & ends.

When you start pulling these "sponsors" into the project, you start claiming it and making it more than just "the right thing to do", it becomes a matter of community focus. It WILL with time, get you media attention and for more than your time performing; you will get credit for generating $$$s in contributions that benefit these people and the way you present each simple gift (magically creating it).

Best of luck on the venture. Do your best and enjoy the opportunity, it will give to you greater value in the long run, than you can probably envision at the moment.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Oh man...Craig beat me to it. Yes. Yes. and Yes...to what Craig said. It may seem crappy and like a lot of hard work to get it built up and going, but the benefits down the road will be well worth it. You are doing a great thing.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I just posted a rather big order from theory11 and was palning on giving out some of the deck's to kid's as a thank you.

You should talk with them, the team here and other outlets; tell them what you are doing and see if they'll either match you on the investment or simply sponsor a dozen or even a half-dozen pieces. This is a very positive project and an excellent marketing opportunity for any merchant.

Another resource that might have material you could use as "gifts" is the Free Book section @ Lybrary.com. See if a local print shop would cover the cost on a dozen copies of two or three different books. . . and they don't have to be Magic related, Chris carries a ton of non-magic books on that site, so look around and see what could work. . . maybe challenge some of the contributors to donate and do the same via Lulu.com

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit, MI
I'll look into this, i always tried to help out i haver moved from all over the country and lived in hawaii at one time, i've seen people from all walks of life who really aren't bad people but they need something to lift there spirits up.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'll look into this, i always tried to help out i haver moved from all over the country and lived in hawaii at one time, i've seen people from all walks of life who really aren't bad people but they need something to lift there spirits up.

You're preaching to the choir here. . . but I'm glad to see optimism in a person. Sadly, some of us let too much of what we see in this world, beat us down and callous our hearts a bit. But it's all a part of the journey that allows us to earn greatness.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results