High School Magic

Dec 28, 2009
arkansas
We all know that you need practice to be better at a trick. If you are in high school, how much time do you have ? You have less because you have to study and write boring crap. Take advantage of the time in high school and practice. How much during school hours do you practice your magic ?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you space everything out fine, get classes that arent too difficult, you should have time to be a student plus extra time to specd on a hobby. I perform at school & outside. And I'm in 12th grade, with a good set of tricks. started in Gr. 10, so....

just space your time out efficently and everything should find its slot. maybe just practice magic on weekends? or find some really good tricks (like 3-5), do the best you can do with them and always perform them as go tos.

Jul 14, 2008
It really depends on how your school works out. Make sure you can get your homework done earlier or take advantage of going to the library after school to get your homework done, so that way, you will have some time for yourself.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
For you guys who say you practice 5 hours a day....wow...get that out of your system before you get married and have kids because I am lucky to get 1 solid hour of practice. Ha Ha.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
We all know that you need practice to be better at a trick. If you are in high school, how much time do you have ? You have less because you have to study and write boring crap. Take advantage of the time in high school and practice. How much during school hours do you practice your magic ?

Soooo..., I can expect to pick up some french fries from your drive-thru window when you are 30 years old correct?

There is a time and a place fore everything. During your high school years, you are to study. To think otherwise, or to say that all you have to write is "boring crap" or that "practicing magic is more important than studying", is just plain ignorant and immature.

And yes, I do know what I am talking about. I have been a teacher at the University level for 4 years now. Just this past year I had a student who didn't know where Russia was on a map... and she is Japanese. It only happens to be right next to her country.

It is the general attitude of, "high school is boring," "high school teachers just teach their own opinions," "don't need to try hard, I can still graduate" is selling your life short.

Put down the cards and study. Practice on the weekends.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Tokyo,

I am with you 100% on this one. Being an educator of 10 years, it is funny to see how kids and teens view life in general and the importance of their education.

you shouldnt practice during school.
i used to and got into trouble. and throughout a school day i might have gotten 4 mins of practice, cause everyone always wants to see somethin, so you dont get practice. and cmon, highschool isnt hard. you go home, do your one worksheet, then you can practice.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
you shouldnt practice during school.
i used to and got into trouble. and throughout a school day i might have gotten 4 mins of practice, cause everyone always wants to see somethin, so you dont get practice. and cmon, highschool isnt hard. you go home, do your one worksheet, then you can practice.

one worksheet?! where did you go to high school? i want to go there! i typically have 2-3 hours of math homework every night, thats only one of my four classes.

I never really had home work either i was "Special Ed" so pretty much they didn't think i needed to learn anything.

But some day when you cant Add or Subtracted you will find a book and study it yourself haha

just go to school and practice magic when your not doing school stuff pretty simple.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Good lord.

As someone that didn't put the amount of effort I could have into high school, I can guarantee you that you'll regret it later.

In the modern economy you will not be able to get a decent job without a college degree, and you'll have a hell of a time getting into a decent college without good standings in high school. With crap grades your best bet will be community college (getting the absolute best grades possible) and transferring to a good college/university after that.

Entertainment is a perfectly respectable career goal, but the reality of the matter is that it's very difficult to make a decent living off of magic. There's anecdote after anecdote about this from the professionals. I was listening to an interview with David Williamson a couple weeks ago, and he mentioned that after he won some gold medal for close up magic, he went home to wash dishes at a local restaurant to pay rent. For every successful magician you see out there, there's probably hundreds that would starve if they depended on magic for money.

So put down the props. Do your homework, study, get good grades and go to college.

You'll thank me (and everyone else giving this advice) later.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
I don't pratice in school because I don't want to distracted myself and my peers.

As I soon I get home I grab my cards and don't let it go until I go to sleep.:p

Good lord.

As someone that didn't put the amount of effort I could have into high school, I can guarantee you that you'll regret it later.

In the modern economy you will not be able to get a decent job without a college degree, and you'll have a hell of a time getting into a decent college without good standings in high school. With crap grades your best bet will be community college (getting the absolute best grades possible) and transferring to a good college/university after that.

Entertainment is a perfectly respectable career goal, but the reality of the matter is that it's very difficult to make a decent living off of magic. There's anecdote after anecdote about this from the professionals. I was listening to an interview with David Williamson a couple weeks ago, and he mentioned that after he won some gold medal for close up magic, he went home to wash dishes at a local restaurant to pay rent. For every successful magician you see out there, there's probably hundreds that would starve if they depended on magic for money.

So put down the props. Do your homework, study, get good grades and go to college.

You'll thank me (and everyone else giving this advice) later.

thats so sad.... our society really sucks.

Jun 12, 2009
Well... I practice in school everday.. in AP classes.. do absolutely nothing.. Found some friends to hang out with who are interested in magic, we took the same classes and we just bust out cards and other things in class. Well atleast thats what I do... my teachers dont mind although occassionaly they tell me to put the cards away.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results