History and idea suggestions

Jan 14, 2014
A few years back I create an effect that I call "Double Coincidence". The effect required 2 spectators, the first spectator shuffle the deck and pick a card (keeping it secret from everybody including itself), the second spectator name a card, and the card named match the picked card. I want to improve the method that I use

My question is
Do you know of any trick similar to what i have described?
Do you have suggestions on method/s to accomplish the trick?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So there are a lot of effects where two spectators select the same card using different methods. There is a section in Eugene Burger's Mastering the Art of Magic where he talks about doing that effect with a method that makes the second spectator an instant stooge.

The closest method I can come up with would be as follows:

The first spectator is handed the deck and asked to cut the deck. The spectator then slides off the top card under the cut without looking at it. The magician then picks up the deck and riffles the cards in front of the second spectator. The second spectator is told to think of any card they see. The spectator thinks of a card. The magician tells the audience he will make the spectator's named card move from the deck to the become the card selected by the other spectator. The first spectator names his card. The magician makes a gesture as if he is picking up the essence of the card from the deck (which is now spread face down in front of the spectator) and dropping it onto the card the other spectator placed on the table. The second spectator is then asked to look through the deck and find the card he saw and thought of just minutes ago. The card isn't in the deck. The first spectator is asked to turn over the their card... it is the card the second spectator just saw and thought of. For the method see "The Kinetoscopic Card" on page 77 of T. Nelson Downs Art of Magic (where the thought of card appears in another spectator's pocket). There are other ways of accomplishing something similar using two decks (where the thought of card doesn't move but is nonetheless the same as in the first deck) and a method that I think is described in Greater Magic.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2014
Thanks, that is a great effect. I prefer a more hands off approach, were I ("the magician") doesn't do anything and its all on them ("the spectators"). I tried to touch the cards the minimum amount possible and can be done with a borrow deck .
Thanks, that is a great effect. I prefer a more hands off approach, were I ("the magician") doesn't do anything and its all on them ("the spectators"). I tried to touch the cards the minimum amount possible and can be done with a borrow deck .

PeterC9

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2017
We are getting into the realms of ACAAN I feel...there are many online examples of the ACAAN so if you check these out you may find one that gives you what you want in your trick to accomplish...good luck

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The first spectator shuffle the deck and pick a card (keeping it secret from everybody including itself), the second spectator name a card, and the card named match the picked card.

I prefer a more hands off approach, were I ("the magician") doesn't do anything and its all on them ("the spectators"). I tried to touch the cards the minimum amount possible and can be done with a borrow deck .

The effect as described, using a borrowed deck with the magician not ever touching the cards (and with no pre-show or use of a stooge) is... well ... impossible. So, my question is what actually happens in your solution to this effect -- that is step-by-step what the spectator sees? I'm guessing that the magician actually touches the cards...

Jan 14, 2014
The effect as described, using a borrowed deck with the magician not ever touching the cards (and with no pre-show or use of a stooge) is... well ... impossible. So, my question is what actually happens in your solution to this effect -- that is step-by-step what the spectator sees? I'm guessing that the magician actually touches the cards...

Yes, you are correct! the magician touch the card for a short period.
What the spectator see is the magician showing the cards on a face up spread after they shuffle "showing that the cards are really shuffle", and an hold the deck for the spectator to pick a "random card".
And a second spectator name a card after the card has been selected

Jan 14, 2014
We are getting into the realms of ACAAN I feel...there are many online examples of the ACAAN so if you check these out you may find one that gives you what you want in your trick to accomplish...good luck

Its not an ACAAN since the card is picked out of the deck and them named by another spectator

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results