How do YOU interpret your magic

Oct 31, 2013
Charlotte N.C.
How do you interpret your magic. Do you tell people you really do have supernatural powers, a inhuman talent to read minds, and manipulate gravity, etc., or do you tell them your hands are faster then the eyes, that you have incredible sleight of hand and even if they knew the move it would still take months or even years of practice. I was just curious as to what you would consider the best explanation, because we all get it, the "How did you do that!" reaction.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
First of all you seem to be mixing the idea of Magic with Mentalism -- STOP IT! they are NOT one in the same thing and how you present the two is entirely different.

When it comes to magic it is usually obvious that it's a Magic Trick even when it freaks people out and they think otherwise. . . bear in mind that there are people that think Copperfield can really fly, but they are few and far between because the average person has some common sense. BUT, when it comes to actual Mentalism and Mind Reading the essence of how it is presented, whether you're playing psychic or intellectual, is by garnering belief from your audience. . . and let's not start down the path over "disclaimers" It's an ignorant concept that only appeases magicians with a corn cobb shoved into dark smelly orifices. Fact is, people will believe what they want to believe and if I, as a Mentalist, present material to them properly, they are more than likely to buy into my claim and believe. . . and businesses pay me and others in Mentalism a lot of money to teach their staff about using intuition or how to read people's "tells" so as to improve their bottom line.

That said, there is a "new" movement in magic that is oozing up from the underground world in which traditional magic is being presented as "real" -- Urban~Shamanism. It's the storyline behind each bit that is important and what distinguishes it in said manner, as well as the persona of the person that incorporates the "it's real" format. It is NOT a commercially driven path but more a matter of personal conviction and expressed spiritual attitudes as well as the desire to restore Magic to its long forgotten roots, which includes greater secrecy and protection of technology that allows us to do what we do. . . it's much more than storytelling with a trick, it's quite philosophical, challenging the observer in a way that helps them see the Magic in life that surrounds them.

Sure, there can be a commercial angle, just look at David Blaine's work. But David wears two masks, that of his humble vagabond-philosopher and that of the guy that's become world renown as a personality -- he's one of the fortunate ones. But look at his older stuff, his earlier specials and how he incorporates the idea that magic is real and miracles exist.

I hope this helps you to at least understand things a bit better.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You only get the "how do you do that?" question if your presentation focuses on the method. You may get the "how did you do that!" expression of disbelief but that really doesn't require a response.

I invite people to join me in a game, a imaginative journey, a story or a fantasy -- to engage in play. That creates a setting where, as long as the effect is in line with the rule of the game, there is no need to question methods. Do question how the special effects are done while you are watching a movie? Do you question how an animated feature gets inanimate objects such as cars to talk? No. You accept that as part of the experience. If you get the audience to care about what they see, what they hear and how it touches their intellect and emotions, they won't care about the method.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results