How do you use the double backed card?

Feb 23, 2008
Houston
www.myspace.com
I remember reading a thread a while back where someone asked what was the use of the double backed card that comes in the guradian deck or whatever. Anyway people say it's used in making a double lift more convincing or something like that, but I'm a little confused on how it could make the double lift more convincing than just using 2 normal cards. Can anyone here explain it to me *I feel really dumb for asking, but I just don't see how it's any different*

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Double backed cards are one of the only gaffed cards I use on a day to day basis - I use a double backer in my card to anywhere routine, Shift. It's in my new book Proximity Effects, but there'l be a DVD later this year focusing on the concept.

They're very, very useful. However I'm not sure how it would make a double lift easier.

The only thought that springs to mind on that is that you could pick up a double no matter which way the card is facing on top of the deck - it doesn't affect the difficulty of the technique though..

D.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
They're very, very useful. However I'm not sure how it would make a double lift easier.

The only thought that springs to mind on that is that you could pick up a double no matter which way the card is facing on top of the deck - it doesn't affect the difficulty of the technique though..

D.

I don't think anyone said it'd make it easier, just more convincing.

Jan 21, 2008
Vero Beach FL
I dont get why you use it for a double lift because when you do it, it makes the real card look like its on top. If you want to show the card on top why would you use the double backeer because all you have to do is just place the real card on top

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I dont get why you use it for a double lift because when you do it, it makes the real card look like its on top. If you want to show the card on top why would you use the double backeer because all you have to do is just place the real card on top

Perhaps during some routine the card ends up second from top, and you want it to the top? Or, you can show it on top, then show that it's a single card, and then "make" it into a second card again.

Feb 2, 2008
you could easily show the selection place it face up
turn a double over and put the double backer into the middle for an awesome card control....

With a little gimmicking work I am trying to put together a card through glass table thing. The card selected starts on top of the table, under the box. I knock on the bottom of the table to ensure it is solid on both sides. Press the box and the card falls to the floor underneath and when the box is picked up the card on top is gone.

Perhaps during some routine the card ends up second from top, and you want it to the top? Or, you can show it on top, then show that it's a single card, and then "make" it into a second card again.

Thats how Vernon fooled Houdini.

Vernon openly put the card 2nd from the top, DL showing it on top,, then show its a single card, then repeat again. There is a video in youtube on this, also a chapter in one of Vernon's Inner Secrets.

:)

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Alright, here's a small, quick effect with a double backer:

1. Take out two contrasting cards. For this explanation, I'll use the QD (Queen of Diamonds) and AC (Ace of Clubs).
2. Place one card face up on the top of the face down deck. We'll use the QD. Get a pinky break under the QD. Place the double backer on top of this. Place the other card (AC) face down on top of the double backer.

Situation Check: Face down AC - Double Backer - Face up QD - Pinky break - rest of deck.

3. Push off the top card (AC) pretending you're doing a double lift. Take the card and do a pirouette flourish or anything that will greatly emphasise the singularity of the card.
4. Place the AC back on the deck face up. Remember, you have a break under the QD.
5. Perform a triple turnover - turning the top three cards over as one.
6. Take the top card off and give it a pirouette flourish (face down). Turn it over to show the AC has changed into the QD.

Ta-da! A simple transposition/switch effect.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Shanku :D

PS. I got this idea from Chris Hestnes' burnable top change thingy. You can see it somewhere in his "Chris Hestnes In The Studio" video. Although this is a little less convincing than his version and I think it's a completely different handling, I believe he deserves some credit for inspiring me. Thanks Chris!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 28, 2007
Finland
Thats how Vernon fooled Houdini.

Vernon openly put the card 2nd from the top, DL showing it on top,, then show its a single card, then repeat again. There is a video in youtube on this, also a chapter in one of Vernon's Inner Secrets.

:)

Yes I'm familiar with that.:)
In fact, in the video in YouTube, Vernon is doing just a "normal" ambitious card, not the Trick That Fooled Houdini.

Mar 29, 2008
you can do a cheap version of white or wheat, watch the ghost trailor, justin millers part, you see it there

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results