How Many Mentalist Do We Have Here?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I was recently talking with an associate of mine about T-11 and E and how limited their offerings were when it comes to Mentalism, even though they have a high count of members who focus on Mentalism as well as it's off-spring Bizarre Magick and elder sibling Side Show & Geek Magic. Fact is, there is more to magic than card tricks and given the weekly post of "I want to learn about mentalism" from newbies, it would seem there is a need for both, a new section here in the forum that is dedicated to Mentalism and possible Bizarre Magic as well in that an over-lap exists. Too, with your help and participation, maybe we can get more Mentalism featured on The Wire and even cultivate Mentalism related effects for T-11 & E that would allow both, them and us (as individuals) to make a few bucks.

Both E and T-11 have come a long way from where they started but with success comes the reality of having to do more in order to keep up with the times. In this case, it's time to use what you have "in house" as it were, in order to grow, which brings us back to my question; HOW MANY MENTALIST DO WE HAVE HERE?

I don't know how to set-up a poll or I would, but if you will simply reply to this post and let us know if you are a student, a steady performer of mentalism, a Reader, etc. it will help us all to see the numbers -- a tangible that can't be argued. . . especially when business projections will easily put 20 or more potential patrons behind each existing member that participates in this thread. . . that reveals hundreds if not thousands of consumers.

I'm not promising things, but I know that I and at least three or four others, will bend over backward to help make this idea work and that would include bringing in some special participants here and there -- name performers and noted technicians that would do Q&A with us in a closed forum setting. We will do what we can to help further your own progress in this field, so let us know.

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2007
You know you can count me among the number. I'm evolving into a very unique niche in that not only am I mentalist, but also an expert in memory improvement and mind hacking (life hacks that exploit the plasticity of the brain). As a mentalist my specialization is telepathy with a little bit of clairvoyance for seasoning here and there.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I'm not exactly a performing mentalist, but I'm a student of the theory of mentalism as a performance art, and of various mentalism-related skills like hypnosis, cold reading and intuition. If that counts, then count me in!

Jun 22, 2013
New York
Woa ! oh really people are so capable to hack the minds as mind reading is ok to me and i am quite expert in getting what the other persson is thinking at times being present in front of me

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
So long as no one throws stones at me for actively combining magic with mentalism, you can add me to the mix. Really interested in seeing what others have to offer in terms of mind-reading. Looking forward to it...

RS.

Why James, who would do such as thing as that?:p

There are ways of doing this, I've always said that. The problem is, most people that do it ruin the psychological advantages they have when it comes to Mentalism and keeping things "believable". . . Magic & Mentalism working from two contrasting psychologies; the latter invokes and relies on an investment of belief while the other suspends belief for sake of the fantasy . . . people know that Magic is all tricks but not so with Mentalism (when it's presented properly). this is one of the things this group would help clarify while distinguishing the differences between Mental Magic, Mentalism, Bizarre Magick and even the new trend of Urban Shamanism.

My purpose with the post is only to show "by a show of hands" how many here would support such as sub-forum element and yes, that would include sinners such as yourself, who mix magic with mentalism. . .

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I would support it, though I don't know how well it would do.

I'm more the bizarre/haunted route these days and I doubt I'll ever go pure mentalist, but my performance style is far closer to a pure mentalist than a magician.

Sep 1, 2007
Woa ! oh really people are so capable to hack the minds as mind reading is ok to me and i am quite expert in getting what the other persson is thinking at times being present in front of me

You've disabled the ability to receive private messages, so I have to ask you publicly. What's your native language? Because it looks like English is a second or third language for you. I'd like to help you out, but the language barrier is getting in the way.

Oct 11, 2010
Denmark
I'm basically a magician, but would like to support the idea as I love reading about mentalism.

Not sure if that means I qualify, but you've got my vote!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I am not a mentalist but I would love to change that just have no idea where to start really.

Ok. . . start HERE and you'll find a list of other key books you'll need to study within that text.

Do understand that Mentalism is very demanding when it comes to showmanship and people management skills, it's nowhere close to being as easy to present as Magic. Too, the psychology is almost a direct opposite path from Magic; Magicians ask people to suspend their belief where Mentalists invoke an investment of belief and suspension of disbelief. Then again, this is why it is so easy to cross the line when doing Mentalism and create a cult following.

With Mentalism you are delivering a very intimate form of entertainment in that you are apparently walking around inside a person's head and while arguably that is just an illusion the public doesn't know this (if you're doing things right) and their only understanding is typically the thought that you are real. That level of validation is what every student and performer of Mentalism strives for. . . it is not an easy thing for those heavily indoctrinated in the world of Magic and Magician's thinking "gets" in that they still see it all as "tricks" vs. Effects with an Affect. while we "entertain" folks with what we do, we are likewise playing with their psyche and comprehension. That can be a big responsibility at times.

Best of Luck!

P.S. [To the T-11 Staff]
I know you've seen this thread and are probably following it. I'd say we have a growing number of folks supporting a concept, how about working WITH us and creating a Mentalism Forum area with the following sub-forum section; Bizarre Magick, Seance, Reading Work, Stage, Getting Started

I'd be more than glad to host the area but would suggest we find a younger and interested individual to play moderator . . . Like Steerpike, maybe. . .

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I am a performing mentalist. I would love a sub-forum on Theory11 because The Magic Cafe is way too hard to navigate.

The Cafe has simply gotten too big and as was said by a wise one a few thousand years back, "one can only serve one master. . . "

While they have an abundance of notables on that forum, I can't help but notice how some of the novices pull them in every-which direction, expecting instant replies (Bob Cassidy must be a saint, given how he puts up with a couple of them.) But I have other issues with the Cafe though they do seem to be trying to (in appearance at least) clean-up their ugly past and the manner by which it was protecting and ignoring piracy that was happening through the forum itself. I applaud them for these changes and hope they keep up the good work even though I'll have to eat some crow in the process. It is a meal I'll gladly partake of if it means that the cafe will stop cosigning things other forums active try to weed out.

My biggest reason for this proposal is a simple one; most of the Mentalism focused forums are either invitation only or private and paid membership situations. We need something that's a little bit more accessible that covers the novice to the intermediate level performer in order to help them evolve and ultimately qualify for invitation into one of these more advanced groups. Mentalism is a very protected aspect of the magical arts & sciences; it is likewise very different psychologically, than performance magic and as such, it needs its own space.

Tell your friends that have an interest in this archaic path to make a post, especially if they are inactive because there wasn't a Mentalism & Bizarre Magick section. Numbers are what the peanut counters understand and so it is numbers we must give them if this proposal is to take root.

Oct 5, 2012
I am just getting started but would love to have an opportunity to discuss some of the basic texts with wiser heads on this...

Side question: does a mentalism forum run more risk of exposure than card or coin magic? How much would people be able to discuss?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I am just getting started but would love to have an opportunity to discuss some of the basic texts with wiser heads on this...

Side question: does a mentalism forum run more risk of exposure than card or coin magic? How much would people be able to discuss?

As with any specialty area, Mentalism requires us to be a bit self-censoring which is why we use nick-names such as Swami, Imp Pad, etc. but too, there are the same general questions people have such as where to find more information on a given type of effect, special areas of study like doing Readings vs. Readings from the stage in a Q&A type situation. then there are technical issues that we deal with such as what is and isn't "Mental Magic" and the mixing of traditional magic with Mentalism as well as the different schools or philosophies available for one to follow as a Mentalist; being a Mind Reader doesn't mean you have to step into the more esoteric side of things, many have done quite well offering a more analytical or psychological perspective instead. . . and so the list goes on.

The other issues with Mentalism today center on "lost disciplines"; in my lifetime there were set disciplines every Mentalist was expected to know and thanks to the loss of both, Brick & Mortar retailers in magic and the development of on-line forums, we've lost this line of perspective, much of it being absorbed by the "learn it quick" advantages found by our zealous magic merchants that want to push an easy to exploit and popular tidal wave, which happens to include loads of misrepresentation. For an example the Stigmata effect in which a welt on your wrist names a card or even the Blood Tears routine; neither of these are "Mentalism" but rather an aspect of Bizarre Maigck. Just because you reveal an unknown does not mean you're a Mentalist; magicians do this all the time via grand illusions like the old Costume Trunk or Wardrobe Closet and at least 1001 card effects. While presentation gives us an argument, there exist within Mentalism a believability factor that magic is not constrained by. For us there is a point when things are too fantastic to be seen as viable, even from a metaphysical point of view; so using a Motorcycle Production cabinet for an example ISN'T Mentalism. . .

So yes, there are a lot of things we can discuss and help one another with should such a section come to light.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results