How many of you can do the 3 Card Monte?

Can you do the 3 Card Monte?

• Total voters
Dec 11, 2010
California
I just started to learn the 3 card monte (which wasnt that hard) and I was just wondering as to whether any of you use it in your routine, or if you even use it at all.

What I say you can do the 3 Card Month, what I mean by that is if you have done it in front of people multiple times without messing up. (Aka you can do it smoothly)

So in other words
1. Can you do the 3 card monte
2. Is it in any part of your routines
3. Your thoughts on when it should be used.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
1. Yes
2. Sometimes
3. It should be used as a gambling effect. You're not really stealing from them or anything, you're just doing it to show how fast you are or something like that

Nov 19, 2010
1. Yes
2. Depends
3. I like doing it mostly if someone will say you got quick hands or I'm not playing cards with you or my favorite I could of figured it out if I wouldnt had to follow so much

Dec 11, 2010
California
1. Yes
2. Depends
3. I like doing it mostly if someone will say you got quick hands or I'm not playing cards with you or my favorite I could of figured it out if I wouldnt had to follow so much

Your right =)
I will definitely be using this when someone tells me they are not gonna play with poker with me.

Thanks for the tips guys and responses

Aug 17, 2010

1. Yes. If you're serious about the scam, the history, and a plethora of moves, hooks, come-ons and the like, check out the School for Scoundrel's notes on the Three Card Monte
2. No, not really. I'm generally a busker, and I can't figure out a way to make it play big enough - it's too much down on the table, not really up high enough or big enough to see if you're even a small distance away. Every now and then I do it when I'm out with friends and they want to "see something".
3. Like any specific trick, it should be used in the right venue if it fits the character and the moment. I'd imagine it would work fine when table hopping if you had a bit of the table to work with, or for a smaller and more intimate sidewalk or doorway show.

Jan 20, 2009
California
1. Yes. If you're serious about the scam, the history, and a plethora of moves, hooks, come-ons and the like, check out the School for Scoundrel's notes on the Three Card Monte
2. No, not really. I'm generally a busker, and I can't figure out a way to make it play big enough - it's too much down on the table, not really up high enough or big enough to see if you're even a small distance away. Every now and then I do it when I'm out with friends and they want to "see something".
3. Like any specific trick, it should be used in the right venue if it fits the character and the moment. I'd imagine it would work fine when table hopping if you had a bit of the table to work with, or for a smaller and more intimate sidewalk or doorway show.

i agree School for Scoundrel's is the best place to learn 3 card monte i have the
dvd not the notes but im sure its the same stuff.
i personally do doc easons routine from his bar magic dvd.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
  1. No. I have several resources in my library to learn it from. Some of them are absolutely wonderful in their effect and simplicity. Yet, I am frankly bored with cards.
  2. No. I am looking to add one card effect to my routine just to round it out. Monte doesn't fit where I'm going. An ace production with story to tie in feels more appropriate.
  3. Blatant charlatan acts: Whit Haydn, Harry the Hat, and so forth. "I knew a card cheat..." seems to have become too much of a stock tale for a "nice" magician to use.

i personally do doc easons routine from his bar magic dvd.

That is such a wonderful routine. I love Doc Eason's style. HE at least has a great purpose for his presentation of it. It just seems every time I see a three card monte, lately, it starts that way for the sake of preserving character but still performing a huckster effect. There have to be other stories that do both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2010
The School for Scoundrels stuff on the Three Card Monte is THE definitive resource on the topic, from what I hear.

While I have not had the opportunity to talk directly to Whit Haydn, it is clear by his posts on the Cafe that he is a man who knows what he is talking about and isn't afraid to admit it if he doesn't.

Three Card Monte isn't a routine you want to be performing for the same people over and over... Pretty much every source on it teaches it in a manner that becomes progressively harder to track, so I don't really see the point in performing the entire routine again.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Yes. I'm probably not as profecient as I used to be, but I bet a half hour with some cards would bring it all back.

It used to be, but not anymore, I've changed a lot of my stuff in the last year.

It's a gambling demonstration and for your audience should be a lesson on why you shouldn't play. It's a great piece to do when asked to do something as well.

I will add that my friend wanted to see it in action and I collected almost $50 before offering to show the guys at the party how it was accomplished. It's not just the moves you need to know, it's the ability to fast talk and work a crowd. With that said, it's illegal in most areas (all?) and you shouldn't do this...I'm just sayin'.

I think Ricky Jay has one of the more elegant 3 Card Monte routines Here. The first trick has a well covered top-change for people looking to improve their audience control.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I think Ricky Jay has one of the more elegant 3 Card Monte routines Here. The first trick has a well covered top-change for people looking to improve their audience control.

Ricky Jay is elegant at pretty much everything he does. Brilliant. Thanks for the link.

I can the the toss well, and the only time I use it is if I ever do the 2 card monte routine, then I will introduce it using a simple three card monte first. But I haven't done this in a long time.

Watching RJ do it, it makes me want to go back and look at ways to add it to my working set.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results