How often do you perform?

How often do you perform?

• I have a regular employer (e.g. bar) with gigs at least once a week.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am self-employed and get regular paid gigs normally at least once a week.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I regularly perform officially for charity/free (maybe with occaisional paid gigs?)

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Most of my performing is for magicians.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I mainly perform for family, friends, at school or at work

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • I mainly perform for the camera.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don't perform that much at all (yet).

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hey guys. I'm just interested to know what the range is like here when it comes to frequency of performing.

Please submit the option that you feel currently best resembles how often you perform, and if you are hoping to change this soon, feel free to share what your aims are and how you intend to achieve them.

Thanks.

Joe

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I am a full time elementary teacher of 10 years so most of the time I perform on the weekends at private parties, receptions, or a kids show here and there.

I'd say right now that I book about two events a month which is fine with me since it is not income that I am depending on. I don't really plan to change that because I have a family and kids and do not want my life being taken over by my magic hobby.

At home though M-Th I can be found reading Magic books, watching magic DVD's, or practicing. I try to keep most of this in the evenings.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Hey guys. I'm just interested to know what the range is like here when it comes to frequency of performing.

Please submit the option that you feel currently best resembles how often you perform, and if you are hoping to change this soon, feel free to share what your aims are and how you intend to achieve them.

Thanks.

Joe

I perform everyday several times a day for a variety of groups and people. Mostly at college but also when hanging with friends or just out and about. The other day i did magic for my bank teller and a walmart cashier and brightened their days and lined up a possible gig next month.

Being a junior in high school, I rarely have enough time to go out and soley perform like I want to. And since no kind of gambling devices like cards are allowed at my school, performing at school is difficult to. But I always have cards with me, and take every opportunity to do something, whether I'm out with my friends/family, etc. For example, I was out to dinner with my family once for my sister's birthday, and I did some tricks for the relatives. They were floored and a waitress was watching and asked me to do something, I performed a torn and restored. She was freaking out and asked if I wanted to do perform for the other tables while we waited for our meal. I accepted and politely performed for maybe 15 minutes around the other customers, they loved it.

After the meal, the manager asked if I wanted to come around on weekends and do it for some pay. Unfortunately, the restaurant was in another state from where I lived, as we were all meeting for the birthday party, so I couldn't. Good news is, my meal was on the house :)

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
I do paid gigs when I can lately I have noticed a pattern, every two days I get a gig but mostly short 30 minute ones for a close up audience.

I am studying for a masters in Theater and working on my own stage show so currently not doing as much as before.

I love what I do because I make my hobby, my job. I never like to think of it as a job.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I have a few places I perform, mostly free and volunteer.

Getting experience and hope to have paid gigs within the year. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to do regular gigs at the same place (restaurant, bar...) or just sell myself to individual occasions and private parties.

Jun 1, 2009
Whenever I'm asked really. Much like E/caulfield, junior year is the most important academically, so school is my focus so I can't go out as often as I want and perform. I do have a gig in April for my mom's work, but I mainly perform with friends when asked or sometimes when me and my friend are walking around the mall/downtown.

Jacob

Jul 14, 2008
I agreed with Jacob L and E/caulfield, I am a high school student, and gosh, my subjects keeps piling on top of me and I have to maintain a good marks. Coming this decision requires a sacrifice. I don't perform as often I would like to be, but I practise whenever I have free time, which is rarely.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results