• >15

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • >20

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Doesn't make a difference

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
Oct 6, 2007
I just want to find out what ya'll think about this.

I have nothing against age, but sometimes it annoys me when these 10 year olds think they're the S***, etc.

I also feel that sometimes kids can take away the mystery of magic. I mean, if I tried to imagine a 10 year old coming up to me with cards double the size of his/her hand....I'd think he/she is a joke!

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
while i voted on the higher end of the spectrum, the only reason for this is... i read the question as being personal to the style you are interested in. so, the area's of magic i am interested in- close up sleight of hand and mentalism- would require enormous amounts of interpersonal skills that i don't think a younger guy would posess. certainly, i never started professionally performing 'til i was about 19-20.
just my tuppence.

C!

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Magic is an art form, and a form of entertainment. I think that if an 8 year old wants to perform, then he has as much right as a 20 year old. There are very good child magicians, just as there are very good child musicians, or painters. Age shouldn't be a boundry to anyone who wants to perform.

And those are my two cents,
TDA

Jun 2, 2008
antioch Ca U.S.A
I didn't click any of the answers because i was older than ten when i first performed but i just turned 14. But like Dark Angel said who ever wants to perform can. But it is more likely a twenty year old than a ten because the ten year old would have less nerves. Do you follow me.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Ever since my 14th birthday I've been sort of preparing to pro. I really want to start now, but I'm waiting until I'm AT LEAST 16. It'd be awfully embarrassing having my Mom drive me to my first professional gig. :rolleyes:

And no, I didn't start at 14... I started when I was 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 30, 2008
DC
Well, with age comes experience.

For this reason, I think it depends how long someone has been doing magic. A 12 year old who has been doing magic for 7 years could be better than a 21 year old who has done magic for 2 months.

But if you were to start to people, ages 10 and 18, at magic at the same time. I think the teenager would be able to pick it up quicker and more efficiently.

Oct 6, 2007
I'd just like to say that I never said that magic is restricted to particular ages!

I was just asking for some opinions.

But thanks, I dig what ya'll are saying.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Alot of people start in magic when they're very young, I was introduced to the art at 4!:p I suppose it really depends what your meaning behind performing is, One might perform for his parents at a very young age, or family and friends and not do any real gigs till their much older, or performing for people they don't know.

TDA gave the examples of other performers, like the child musicians and artists, I do agree that a child could be technically very good, but I know from experience how hard it is for people to take you seriously as a working magician until you get a bit older.

In synopsis, anyone can perform! but it's the situations they perform in, etc that may be restricting to age a bit.

I mean, unless it's some crazy gimmicky thing, I can't see Samsung hiring a 11 year old to perform at an event over a more mature magician..

D.

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
I don't think there's that many "10 year old" kids out there who come up to you randomly to show you some tricks. If they really do, see what the kids got.

The question should be on 14 or 15 year olds instead.

Oct 6, 2007
Alot of people start in magic when they're very young, I was introduced to the art at 4!:p I suppose it really depends what your meaning behind performing is, One might perform for his parents at a very young age, or family and friends and not do any real gigs till their much older, or performing for people they don't know.

TDA gave the examples of other performers, like the child musicians and artists, I do agree that a child could be technically very good, but I know from experience how hard it is for people to take you seriously as a working magician until you get a bit older.

In synopsis, anyone can perform! but it's the situations they perform in, etc that may be restricting to age a bit.

I mean, unless it's some crazy gimmicky thing, I can't see Samsung hiring a 11 year old to perform at an event over a more mature magician..

D.

Thanks Dee!

That's what I was getting at. Not about just 'performing', about being taken seriosuly.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
It's a tough subject, because there is alot of talented young guys - I mean some of the flourish video's blow me away, and then the guys are like super young...

But like I mentioned, honestly, if you saw T11 had some new artist announced who was a 12 year old kid, people would be like what?

I don't know, it's a sore subject - but I think everyone can understand what I'm getting at! ...I hope :p

D.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results