How to Buy Tricks That Won't End Up In The Useless trickDrawer

Nov 13, 2009
Hey Guy's,

I am certain that all of us at one time or another have watched the demo for a trick and said "Wow thats amazing I have got to have that!!! Then got it played with it for while then threw it in the useless trick drawer.

It happens alot where we see a demo get all pumped up then when we finally get the trick never use it. I want to discuss some ideas of how we can avoid this. I would really like to hear your thougths on this topic here are a couple of things I have found helpful.

1. When you first watch a demo for a effect ask your self "Will this fit into my style?" Is this effect going to be something that will work well with other effect you do. It would seem very strange if you are a serius card guy performing a trick like Sick By Sean Fields.

2. Second NEVER pre-order the effect unless you are abusolutly sure it is something you will use. Wait for some reviews see what others think.

3. Ask your self "How am I going to use this?" You may buy the effect, it may even fit your style but if it does not fit into your routine or it takes to much reset you will probably never use it.

4.Of course always see if the effect has instant reset if not will you have time to reset it during a gig?

5 Where will you perform this effect? If you are a street magician something with lighting limitations is going to be something your not wanting. Same goes with being a stage magician by all means make sure the effect isn't too small.:D

6. Make sure your not impulse buying. Their have been so many times that I have been like "Wow that is totally amazing I have to have it." Then realize that is something I would never use.

7. If your buying a one effect dvd make double as sure it is something you will use because obviously you are not going to find other useful stuff on the dvd.

8. Remember some effects look amazing in the hands of the creator but just arn't the same in your hands just something to keep in mind.

I have learned this stuff the hard way and I hope it helps you guys. I still have alot to learn lol. I would like it if you added to the list. What is a good criteria to measure weather a effect fits your style? What is a good way to tell if the effect is real world worker for you?

Thanks guys,

Christian

I think 8 needs some elaboration, because it is a very vague point.

Does it look good in the creators hands? Why does it, is it because the camera is super focused on the hands, or not focused, or perhaps they have a very focused angle throughout the performances. This is stuff you need to watch.

However if they perform it better because they are better then that just means you need to strive for more. I can't tell you how many times I see somebody gives up because they don't get "good reactions" like the person in the dvd. That's just nonsense because you have the potential you just aren't getting there because of laziness or lack of experience.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I think it means that without good presentation, an amazing trick will look dull and worthless. Most of the time these creators you see presenting the trick has the experience and performance ability, as well as credibility to pull off the trick. A lot more goes into pulling off a trick other than just knowing the steps.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I think it means that without good presentation, an amazing trick will look dull and worthless. Most of the time these creators you see presenting the trick has the experience and performance ability, as well as credibility to pull off the trick. A lot more goes into pulling off a trick other than just knowing the steps.

Yes but most creators aren't selling their presentations on the effects, they are selling the method/gimmick/whatever. The presentation is entirely up to you.

It's a very simple thing really, just ask yourself "Do I need it." You don't need to get too philosophical or into too much thought. Just say "Do I need it." then look at all your other stuff. If the answer is "No." then don't buy it, if it is yes. Then spend the cash.

Also the chances are if you collected stuff BEFORE you started magic, then you will end up collecting stuff afterwards. This is often called CUPS. and a ton of magicians will suffer from it as well. Lot's of pro's do too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2009
California
Yes but most creators aren't selling their presentations on the effects, they are selling the method/gimmick/whatever. The presentation is entirely up to you.

It's a very simple thing really, just ask yourself "Do I need it." You don't need to get too philosophical or into too much thought. Just say "Do I need it." then look at all your other stuff. If the answer is "No." then don't buy it, if it is yes. Then spend the cash.

Also the chances are if you collected stuff BEFORE you started magic, then you will end up collecting stuff afterwards. This is often called CUPS. and a ton of magicians will suffer from it as well. Lot's of pro's do too.

I realize they aren't selling their presentations, they shouldn't. But a solid presentation of an effect makes the effect look that much greater. when an inexperienced, naive magician purchases the effect. What they get is this black and white list of instructions. All they know how to do is make the trick work. All a trick is, is a tool to help unlock the magic or astonishment, whichever you prefer to call it. Without the proper knowledge, you won't know how to unlock the door. Yes a trick by itself can be amazing. And that's another way it should be sold, but just because you buy a trick doesn't mean you will turn it into magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results