How to carry magic for restaurants...

May 12, 2009
Damn.. I outa try that... haha :p

LoL!!!
Yeah, I used to carry a whole bunch of different things but after going through everything, I started narrowing things down a bit.
Since I'm mainly focused on mentalism, I mostly use billets, envelopes and a pen. So, that's how I have multiple effects with me to do a few routines with. And I could usually borrow things like coins, a ring and other little whatnot's.
I usually carry Universal Impression (Robert Smith), Kollassal Killer (Kenton Knepper), Ring + String (Wayne Houchin), The Weirdling (Paul Harris), and my own wallet handling of Ultimate Vacation (Oz Pearlman).
I also have a few loops with me. The rest is just pure propless mentalsim and cold readings.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Your pockets are the best way to go, or a small fanny pack for carrying things.

Not even joking, assasain's pouch by Sankey is good, other products like that (god knows there are more)

the simpler, the better. I suggest you buy David Stone's book "Close up" It is an amazing read with sooooo much information

alright, but im not asking about what to carry my things in when im walking around performing or when im performing in gerneral. its when i walk into the building, and im carrying one Case or w/e. what should i use for that case.
thanks for everyones input so far tho

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
OH- that is what you are asking. I misread or misunderstood.

If you MUST have a case, then a laptop computer bag usually has a lot of compartments that can be worn over the shoulder. They have magician cases with lots of different pockets and space for just that occasion.

Have you tried googling "magician's carrying case" or anything like that?

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Haha!!!
That's the exact same thing that I made. Only cost me $25 including purchasing the wallet holsters.
Almost $400? Not worth it. :rolleyes:

Is your material and attention to detail as good as theirs? Doubt it. Are you making a living off of selling yours? Doubt it...

:rolleyes:

May 12, 2009
Is your material and attention to detail as good as theirs? Doubt it. Are you making a living off of selling yours? Doubt it...

Well, I've been working with leather for over 20 years. From custom upholstery, belts, bags and shoes. Even buying a basic leather bag can easily be customized to whats needed for a way cheaper price. Unless it's labeled LV or Gucci or some other designer, it's not really worth it. Even those designer items aren't even worth it. Even top grade law enforcement leather equipment only costs a fraction of the costs. Keep in mind that fire arm holsters have to be molded specifically to that fire arm. You just can't throw any gun into one.

Am I making a living off selling mine? Admittedly no. But I doubt that that's the only item they're selling that's bringing bread to the table. Especially with those prices, I'm sure they have another form of income.

Sep 1, 2007
Haha!!!
That's the exact same thing that I made. Only cost me $25 including purchasing the wallet holsters.
Almost $400? Not worth it. :rolleyes:

Well, having been working with leather for so long, you probably know that they're not charging for the raw materials alone. If we only charged for the raw materials, DVDs would cost about 4 bucks apiece.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with keep6.
That is a ripoff.
That can easily be made by anyone who wants to put the time into making it. If you paid for one of those, well God bless you.

Attention to detail? It goes under your jacket. Don't get me wrong, theirs looks cool, but way too pricey.
If you can make one, and you can fit whatever you want to put in it, then that's all you need. Deck of cards, sharpies, index cards, thumb tip, etc. I think making your own is better than buying one. You can adjust the pockets for your exact needs. Even add in a few more pockets for easy loads. All without fear of ripping the holster and wasting $400.

Sep 1, 2007
That can easily be made by anyone who wants to put the time into making it. If you paid for one of those, well God bless you.

I'll continue playing devil's advocate because it amuses me.

What if you're like me and completely lack anything resembling talent or skill at leather working and tailoring? Wouldn't it then make sense to... wait for it... delegate the task to somebody else? Cue shocked gasps and frightened muttering from the crowd.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I'll continue playing devil's advocate because it amuses me.

What if you're like me and completely lack anything resembling talent or skill at leather working and tailoring? Wouldn't it then make sense to... wait for it... delegate the task to somebody else? Cue shocked gasps and frightened muttering from the crowd.

For your last resort, buy a vest, some extra fabric, needle and thread and sew pockets into the vest. You don't need to be an expert as sewing to know what you're doing.
All of that should cost you less than $40, depending on what kind of vest you buy.

If that's still too hard for you, then yes, you can ask someone else to make it for you. Go to a seamstress and tell them what you want to do and what it will be used for. I'm sure they'll have no problem doing something this easy and taking money from you. You're still saving a lot of money by going to them instead of a magic company. . . .

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
From what I have read is that it's best to just carry a minimal of like 2-4 things on you and leave the rest in the car. If you need to get a new deck of cards. Do it quickly, the same for coins and everything else.

If you don't have a car, then you can put your extra things In the backroom and simply walk back there and grab whatever you need, when you need it. Otherwise you run the risk of looking like a dork with too many props and if kids are there... You pretty much tempt them and idiots into reaching into your pocket and pulling crap out.

Sep 1, 2007
Supposing the occasion is enough to warrant a sport coat but a vest might be a bit much?

Of course, now we're getting into debates about style and fashion.

Fact remains, I have contemplated getting such a holster but my considerations are as follows:

1. I have no talent whatsoever when it comes to making **** like this. The only part of Home Ec I was good at in middle school was cooking, which I still rule at.

2. The leather worker I know helped me make a peek wallet, but this job is a little outside of his specialty.

So it comes down to what you want and where you think you can get it from. Asking your tailor to sew in a topit is a bit different from what we're talking about here.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Personally I think the idea of carrying more than you need on you, runs the risk of looking a bit silly. I know that most workers tend to carry maybe a few coins, sponge balls and possibly a deck of cards. Tho David Stone simply says you can have a small fanny pack under your jacket to carry anything extra.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results