How to design a business card~ Essay #5 by JDG

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
I call myself a Magician and Entertainer.

i have a quick question for everyone, and Jamie in particular. Where do you get your cards produced? Im about due to update mine and im almost out, but im not sure where to get them printed this time. The last time was back before Vistaprint was a complete scam. Any suggestions?

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
I'm just at a cafe so I can't write a lot, but luckily I don 't have to as David Regal was quite succinct in his advice he gave me years ago...

"If you're going to get any printing done, get it done within walking distance."

~jdg

Sep 19, 2010
Sussex, UK
I'm considering getting some cards done for the first time. Gonna put 'Magical Entertainer' as my title!?
Anyways - Jamie, I'm going to be travelling in the near future and was thinking of having my card in this fashion:

Matthew Owen
Magical Entertainer
Facebook Page (Haven't created one yet!)

As I'll be travelling I thought it would be a good idea to be contacted in this manner as most people have facebook these days and it could also double up as a portfolio!

Sep 1, 2007
mastic, ny
Great Thread. I attached my business card for you guys to look at. I know it is not magic related but it should still give you some ideas of layout, design and the info you should include. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• Final Business Card.jpg
    Final Business Card.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 99

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
I'm considering getting some cards done for the first time. Gonna put 'Magical Entertainer' as my title!?
Anyways - Jamie, I'm going to be travelling in the near future and was thinking of having my card in this fashion:

Matthew Owen
Magical Entertainer
Facebook Page (Haven't created one yet!)

As I'll be travelling I thought it would be a good idea to be contacted in this manner as most people have facebook these days and it could also double up as a portfolio!

Hiya Matt!

I manipulate Facebook, Twitter, etc, to the fullest but I'm not sure about that on your business if it's your sole contact info. I think (and I could be wrong here- maybe someone else can chime in) that if you sign up to Facebook right now, your url might be like mine: http://www.facebook.com/people/Jamie-D-Grant/661335243 (not the best for a business card).

If I were you, I would set up a blog as the title would be easier to type eg. www.MattOwen.blogspot.com and would look much nicer.

My 2 cents!

And Sean, as for getting info across- perfect. People do love phone numbers still, though...

~jamie

Further Reading~The Essays:

Rates FAQ 2.0 (how much to charge) by Jamie D. Grant Essay #1
The single most important thing you can do... Essay #2
How many tricks should you learn? Essay #3
Tips or Wage? ~more thoughts from JDG /Essay #4
How to design a business card~ Essay #5 by JDG
Who I am~ Magic Friday ~ by Jamie D. Grant
Developing Your Sets - Essay #6 from JDG
Do you need a stage show? Essay #7 by JDG
Crushing the Haters! Essay #8 by Jamie D. Grant

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey Jamie,

I am actually starting to make some business cards myself. I just don't know where to make them. I want to be able to make them myself. What could I use to achieve this?

Thanks.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
Jden:

Do you have permission to use the google logo? I don't know anything about these laws (in fact I just posted a thread asking a similar question), but you may want to look into that.

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Hey Jamie,

I am actually starting to make some business cards myself. I just don't know where to make them. I want to be able to make them myself. What could I use to achieve this?

Thanks.

My honest opinion is to bite the bullet and get them done at a print shop. Unless you live inside a Kinko's, odds are it will look like they were made at home- a perfect example is the "business card stock" that you can buy for your home printer will have perforated edges. Just not pro enough.

And on the subject of where to get them done; I was designing an effect a million years ago and David Regal told me, "If you're getting something made, get it made within 10 miles of your house."

Wise words!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results