How to interlace cardistry and magic?

Dec 27, 2009
Sometimes i just feel like flourishing and i just flourish for like a month.
But sometimes i feel like doing magic and i do magic for a month too.
Whenever i'm with one of the arts i miss the other and i can't interlace them.
I feel like i'm addicted to both things and when i start with one of them i can't stop.

Can someone help me?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Just do it. There's no magic solution here, it just takes personal discipline. Do both. It's really that easy.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Just do it. There's no magic solution here, it just takes personal discipline. Do both. It's really that easy.

what he said. or, try to connect them, see if any of your cardistry cuts have any special properties you could adapt to magic.

EX: my favorite sybilesque cut is a complete false cut. i've also been working to add a control to this cut, it works with three or four packets.

stuff like that.

or learn fan steals when your working on your fanning.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Are you walking about general flourishing that isn't the XCM stuff or whatever? That can be mixed decently with most card magic, as long as you use moderation. Don't over do it and do too many whatever cuts and then act like what you did was "magic".

But if you are talking about the XCM and trying to also make what you do look like you can magically do stuff. I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't work that way. People are smarter than you think they are, and the moment they see you doing juggling cuts they are going to instantly think and know that you use sleight of hand for everything. Now if you're cool with that, then go for it.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Umm i always include flourishes, which are also a complete deck retention, into my magic. I do it before starting an effect, after "losing" their card in the deck and in between tricks ...

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Umm i always include flourishes, which are also a complete deck retention, into my magic. I do it before starting an effect, after "losing" their card in the deck and in between tricks ...

Personally, when I am a spectator and I see someone do any flourish that's complicated, I instantly lose the feeling of magic. I don't know how you did it, but I know you did it during that complex bit that I couldn't follow. Even if you didn't. Know what I mean?

May 10, 2010
Personally, when I am a spectator and I see someone do any flourish that's complicated, I instantly lose the feeling of magic. I don't know how you did it, but I know you did it during that complex bit that I couldn't follow. Even if you didn't. Know what I mean?

I try to make sure false cuts don't go too complicated. A simple three packet false cut that can be completed within 2 seconds tops is my top choice for deck retention. Meanwhile I'll just say "let me screw up the deck a little bit!" or something similar!

Anyways, it's hard to completely interlace these two phases. I won't say they're completely different, because sleight of hand and flourishing are both card manupilation. I usually just do cardistry to draw some attention first (unintentional at times), and then people (actually my classmates or friends haha!) would come and ask me to show them a card trick or two.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois

i feel like theres a happy medium. i agree if somebody walks up and does a 30 packet cut saying, lets just lose your card down in there somewhere. it depends on how the flourish is presented. if i just say. here let me lose your card with this cut. their immediately gonna know i didn't use their card. but if i say here let me give the cards a quick cut. then do a swing cut, grin and freak out with a 4 packet sybil. it gets a bit of a laugh. haha if you made it this far into the post, and your not utterly confused. good for you.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time

The problem with that is that pretty much everybody knows you did some form of sleight of hand when you do a fancy false cut. They may not know EXACTLY what you did, but they do KNOW that you did SOMETHING. It doesn't mean they aren't impressed, just that at that point you pretty much cannot convince that what happened was "magic".

The point of magic or card magic is that their card appeared at the top without any help from you. All by itself. So when you do a ton of fancy cuts and try to cover it up, it still looks like you DID do something.

Much like I said before, if your style is XCM and all sorts of fancy sleight of hand and if your honest with them and with yourself about it, than more power to you. But the two cannot be combined together without the performer looking silly or like an idiot.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
i feel like theres a happy medium. i agree if somebody walks up and does a 30 packet cut saying, lets just lose your card down in there somewhere. it depends on how the flourish is presented. if i just say. here let me lose your card with this cut. their immediately gonna know i didn't use their card. but if i say here let me give the cards a quick cut. then do a swing cut, grin and freak out with a 4 packet sybil. it gets a bit of a laugh. haha if you made it this far into the post, and your not utterly confused. good for you.

There can be, but that medium is very difficult to achieve. In your scenario, if I were a spectator observing that, as soon as you started doing anything where I didn't think I could follow the action, I would assume that's when you did whatever. Boom, magic gone. It is now a skill display. Which is fine, if that's your thing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results