How to keep up with new material?

Oct 6, 2007
I'm sure a lot of us here are having financial problems of our own, or our parents because of all the new 'must-have' material sold primarily by Ellusionist and Theory11.

I want you to believe me when I say that I do not buy every new, cool thing that is realeased. Over the past 6 months, the only new tricks I have purchased are Panic, Bullet, and Factory Sealed.

However, with Control, Fallen and Ultragaff coming out soon, it is hard to resist picking up these 'amazing' products. I believe that all three will improve my magic by either improving my ability to present impossible magic (Control) or taking my ACR to a new level (Fallen), or just showing amazing stuff with the Ultragaff.

I'm not saying that I'll pick up all three of these new products, but I'm just saying it will be hard to resist them. I want to know how I can keep up with all these new products out there, which I honestly feel will improve my magic- I'm not buying them just because they look cool and are new.

Sep 1, 2007
so, what i think your asking is, how can people keep affording new things?

maybe get a job
maybe sell your older dvds or books
spend less on cards and more on other things ( i buy cards alll the time, its an addiction, idk about you)

but money is not really hard to come by nowadays, its just large amounts it hard to, but if you keep at something, you will make money

you can..

1. walk dogs in ur neighborhood
2. clean peoples cars
and anything else you can think of

if that wasnt your question, sorry lol, but i think thats what it was

either way, hope it helps!

Sep 1, 2007
You know how long I waited to buy De'Ring? A year.

Delay gratification. If you can't buy methods, write your own scripts.

Oct 6, 2007
Thanks a lot for the help! But sorry taht wasn't rea;;y ,my question. You told me how to earn money, but I should have made things clearer.

I want to know how people like chose what to get and what not to get. Everything seems really really impressive, and I beleive it coulda ll be worth while to my repertoire.

So, besides how to earn money, how do you pick waht to get and what not to,.?

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Thanks a lot for the help! But sorry taht wasn't rea;;y ,my question. You told me how to earn money, but I should have made things clearer.

I want to know how people like chose what to get and what not to get. Everything seems really really impressive, and I beleive it coulda ll be worth while to my repertoire.

So, besides how to earn money, how do you pick waht to get and what not to,.?

I pick based on suits my performance best. If you don't do card work, for example, fallen and UltraGaff would be kind of pointless. Other than that, I'll pick which one had the biggest wow factor on me when I first saw it.

-ThrallMind

TRM

Sep 1, 2007
what I do is that I make one magic related order per month in order to give myself enough time to concentrate and master that single effect and then move onto the next trick the next month and so on and so forth

D

Deleted member 2755

I'm sure a lot of us here are having financial problems of our own, or our parents because of all the new 'must-have' material sold primarily by Ellusionist and Theory11.

I want you to believe me when I say that I do not buy every new, cool thing that is realeased. Over the past 6 months, the only new tricks I have purchased are Panic, Bullet, and Factory Sealed.

However, with Control, Fallen and Ultragaff coming out soon, it is hard to resist picking up these 'amazing' products. I believe that all three will improve my magic by either improving my ability to present impossible magic (Control) or taking my ACR to a new level (Fallen), or just showing amazing stuff with the Ultragaff.

I'm not saying that I'll pick up all three of these new products, but I'm just saying it will be hard to resist them. I want to know how I can keep up with all these new products out there, which I honestly feel will improve my magic- I'm not buying them just because they look cool and are new.

One thing you can do is, if you were like me, stop buying and wasting your money on stupid things :D (I'm not saying you do this, but I did.) Another thing you can do is make a shopping list in Microsoft Word or something stating everything that you want in a prioritized order. When you get these things, take it off the list.

Ultragaff will be AWESOME! Control will be AWESOME! However, which one do you want more? Control will feature a heart stop you can hear, a pulse stop that you can feel, and an impromptu watch stop.

Ultragaff will feature 52 AWESOME looking cards. Along with the Ultragaff, 3 DVDs (sold separately) of Wayne and Garcia will be released saying their ideas and effects they like to use with the Ultragaff (,but you don't NEED the DVDs, but they will have some nice ideas).

It's really all up to you for which thing you get first. However, as long as you save your money, in time you will be able to get all of these things you want. It will just take time. I know.

-Doug

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
I want to know how I can keep up with all these new products out there, which I honestly feel will improve my magic

Start with two elements: an effect you think will improve your magic, and a classic work on the foundation skills.

Work on that one effect until it is performance ready. For variety, take a break every so often and work on your foundation.

Once you've got the effect down, then figure out what effect to buy next. While you're saving up for it, or just waiting for it to ship, work on your foundation.

There's always going to be more new stuff than you can add to your act. Don't worry about keeping up; worry about your act. That's what matters.

EDIT: I should clarify a little - it doesn't matter if you own thirty cool tricks unless you can do all thirty of them in your act. No trick you buy will be worth anything at all to your act until you can perform it competently. So until you know how to do all your tricks well enough to put them in your act, don't buy anything else. Learn what you have.

Oct 6, 2007
How do I tell my parents I want to spend another 80 bucks (or more??) on 3 tricks....

I mean, I've spent a lot of their money already, on things (magic) they see as a waste of time almsot and a hobby that i focus too much on.

I NEED to use their credit card, so waht do I tell them?

Alternetitavely, I can tell my brother whose got a credit card to uy it for me, but then that would be a hassle since he's in college, 16 hours away.

Oct 8, 2007
That's what i was trying to ask back then.

Yeah, i find it hard too because there's so much good material out there but i can't really have them all. What i do is to really think about the effect and how much i'd really use it in actual performances. A lot of effects sounded good for me but when i thought about it, there are only some that i felt i could really use well under my conditions and circumstances. I just keep track of the effects that interest me and go back to those when i have the spare money. There, i learn to set my priorities in terms of what effects i'd like to get.

PS: i always try to make my own money since i don't want my parents to know what new effects i have in my repertoire. I want to keep it a secret; which means earning the money is a bit harder. So what i do, aside from saving, is perform to other people. Sometimes you get tips (larger ones on some occasions) but at the same time, you build up your reputation. A lot of my relatives found out that im into this art so sometimes i get some magic items from them.

There you go :D

Oct 6, 2007
Well, i'm...like...15, can't get a job or my own credit card...

Now don't get me wrong, I really am not one of those people who get every new thing out there. Just taht some things seem amazing to me and I really feel I need to add them to my repertoire.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
How do I tell my parents I want to spend another 80 bucks (or more??) on 3 tricks....

Show them how good you are at the last three tricks you got.

This is an investment. Demonstrate that there's value coming out of it. Show them that this isn't money going down the drain for nothing.

You might want to ask them how you could earn the money. Most parents will perk up a bit at that idea.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
See what all this overhyping is getting people to. WE are monsters! But seriously how can you generalize that Control, Fallen, and Ultragaff are amazing and will improve your magic, when it didn't comeout yet (I don't know about Ultragaff), and don't say "Well wayne made it and DG helped," because I'm already ready to buy it when it didn't comeout yet.

Don't buy another 3 tricks, and don't ask them especially when they didn't come out yet, because pre-ordering can be like a lottery. When you are ready to buy a trick, just think about it nonstop for a week (give or take a few days), and by the end of the week usually you will realize whether you want it or not. That happened to me with 2 tricks already, I was about to click the buy button, but then after thinking about it for like a week, I realized that I was just over-excited and I didn't need it (that's what the hype does to you). Also it would be good during that week to see if you had any situations where the effect would have fit in perfectly, if you had a couple, then you know that the effect will be somewhat useful, but if you didn't have any moments where you felt that the effect would have killed here, then don't buy it.

Damn that took a while :).

Sep 1, 2007
At 16 you SHOULD have a job if you need money to buy this stuff. I've been working since I was 14. Its the best feeling to have your own money and to spend it. When its yours you have no restrictions as long as you have enough. You begin to take more notice of value and question if you really need certain items.

These items look awesome, but am I going to purchase them? No. This is mainly due to the inflated price they will cost for a single effect. I'd rather take my $30-$40 and buy a Hermetic Press book.

Edit: If your 15 it might be a little harder, but I'm certain you can find somewhere in your town that hires at that age. If you show them that you are mature enough they will probably disregard your age anyway.

What I do is I try to come up with my own method or whatever I saw. I do this one of two reasons, 1. I don't want to be one of those learn and regurgitate magicians, who does that set me apart of? 2. I save so much money! I don't want to get into specifics but I came up with methods for some effects some of you spent 30 plus dollars on. By no means am I trying to brag... I have overlooked some details and bought so much stuff where I had like 90% the effect down, but still had to spend the (in the on case) 95 dollars! I was so mad, but i had to find out what it was.

so, I feel that the new "glory" of dvds are turning most magicians into most magicians, so make yourself be yourself... and i hope this helped.

I also agree with kaiarz... he a smart man ;)

Jan 11, 2008
To bad christmas was last month, perhaps santa could have brought you Control, Fallen and Ultragaff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2008

To bad christmas was last month, perhaps santa could have brought you Control, Fallen and Ultragaff.

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well, i to have the same problem, but it is mostly with shipping. I live in the UK, which, is a bonus because, if i get £20.00, i have $40.00. But, the downside is, that it is sooo much shipping, and if i ordered it from a UK site, the shipping won't be so expencive but the effect will cost the same as it did in £ i.e if somethign was $24.99, it would be £24.99.

Just save whatever money you get, and spend it on stuff you really need.

I don't know why i wrote all of this... it doesn't really make sence...

Felix

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results