How to Practice

Nov 15, 2008
I seem to get a bit obsessive with some of my practicing and sometimes can get to the point of just wanting to give up. Does anyone have any input on ways to practice to get the most out of what I am working on? Thanks.

By the way, most of the material that I am working on are tricks, no flourishing

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I break the tricks down into their individual sleights. This works for flourishing as well . Another thing once you have the trick or flourish broken down, set an amount of time to practice like an hour or two then time yourself so you practice one sleight or flourish for 15 minutes then switch and do another sleight for 15 min then do another sleight for another 15 min. So I reccomend picking only 2 or 3 tricks to work on at a time otherwise if you have more then this you'll get good just at a much slower pace. But see if this works and make sure you set small acheiveable goals for your self.

Yep, I second what Chris said but do it by trying to use muscle memory only. It may seem a bit weird to say it but I remember trying to concentrate on all the sleights and actually messed up more this way. Later I just did the sleights while watching T.V. doing them slowly and picking up pace and it came much much quicker.

Jul 13, 2009
Go out and perform.

You really do not have to have an effect immaculate in order to start entertaining people with it. You have the effect down you know the motions? Well then go practice for real people, people will give you instant feedback and it will help you become better at presenting tricks to your audience, instead of becoming a move robot.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Go out and perform.

You really do not have to have an effect immaculate in order to start entertaining people with it. You have the effect down you know the motions? Well then go practice for real people, people will give you instant feedback and it will help you become better at presenting tricks to your audience, instead of becoming a move robot.

This is the best solid advice right here. I do the same thing. It is not the same sitting on the couch doing it. I actually go out and start practicing it on people like friends, family, and other magicians in our IBM ring.

They will give you feedback on flashing, pacing, patter, etc. You learn it by doing it over and over for different audiences.

Now, I'm not saying within the first hour of purchasing the effect do this. Give it a least two weeks of practice so that you feel confident. I do not practice effects daily for hours upon hours. I have much better things to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
This is the best sold advice right here. I do the same thing. It is not the same sitting on the couch doing it. I actually go out and start practicing it on people like friends, family, and other magicians in our IBM ring.

They will give you feedback on flashing, pacing, patter, etc. You learn it by doing it over and over for different audiences.

Now, I'm not saying within the first hour of purchasing the effect do this. Give it a least two weeks of practice so that you feel confident. I do not practice effects daily for hours upon hours. I have much better things to do.

Oh my god the first magicians that has a social life.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results