How To Vanish A Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys,

I have a weird request that I cannot refuse (for personal reasons). I am asked to be in a video, where a woman will be holding a book and it needs to vanish from her hands. The thing is, I don't have a pully or a topit or anything of that sort, and I cannot use one. So practically, what would be a good way to vanish a book from spectators hands with pretty much sleight of hand? The woman and the camera guy can be in on it, it is only supposed to look good in the video.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What's the entire situation that this needs to pass for? This seems like an odd situation.

Will there be anyone other than the camera man and the woman? Any form of audience. Do you have to use only the camera man and the woman? Can you just use editing?

Off the top of my head, I would basically just frame the shot so the book can be dropped at the opportune moment.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
What's the entire situation that this needs to pass for? This seems like an odd situation.

Will there be anyone other than the camera man and the woman? Any form of audience. Do you have to use only the camera man and the woman? Can you just use editing?

Off the top of my head, I would basically just frame the shot so the book can be dropped at the opportune moment.

It's a propaganda video, it will be aired on TV. Something about books being useless etc. I'm not really sure of the point. But yes, it's only me, the woman, and the camera guy. No one else, no audience, just for the video.
I was thinking about the same solution, just to drop the book at the right time, but she said it has to be "magic", not video editing or camera tricks.

Aug 31, 2007
There a few ways I could think of, the first being vanishing the book from under a silk - not to tip the method, but similar to how dove cages are often vanished from beneath a silk. Might get you in the right direction.

Anyone else have any interesting techniques for book vanishing?

Also Simon_Magic, that sounds like a technique that may have passed in the George Melies days, but if they hired a magician, chances are they had already thought of video editing techniques. Just a thought ;)

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
what kind of book is it? If it is one with a dust jacket you could remove the actual book from the jacket and put the jacket on an empty paper shell to give it the proper depth, this would allow you to drop the book into a bag that could then be crumpled up to prove it had vanished. similar to a vanishing ketchup or pop bottle idea.

same thing could be done with a soft-cover book it would just be more work to remove the pages (you would end up destroying the book as well)

Reactions: anadai_magic
Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
How big does the book have to be? If you really wanted to you could do sort of an over extended Tenkai Pinch Palm using your forearm as the rest of the cover. So long as you keep it horizontal it should be totally covered.

Or if you wanted to show clean hands, you could work with holding the book inbetween your chest and your forearm, tilting your body to the side, using the forearm as cover for the book. No clue how you'd get into that position though.

I would also recommend explaining to your "director" that the use of the framing of a camera as a means of vanishing objects is not a camera trick, as it is simply making use of visible space. The same thing can and is done in person, with all forms and variations of lapping. So just dropping the book is perfectly "magical" insomuch as it is valid as a magical technique.

Edit: I'm really trying to figure out what on earth kind of situation you have your hands on here, and I really can't lol. What a bizarre set of requirements.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Some excellent ideas. To be completely honest, I have no idea what this video is supposed to be about or why. And I don't really care. I got one task: "Vanish a book from the spectators hands". I don't think there is a requirement for the size or the type of the book, so I guess my hands are free there. I like the "shell" idea, or wrapping it in newspaper. Also black art sounds pretty good too, I just don't have much experience in it.

Oct 8, 2014
So... I'm late... but either way.. it's fun to think about... What I would probably do is crush the book into paper... like, copy the book's dimensions into a piece of paper... do some arts and craft and make it 3D, get a colored copy of the front cover and put magnetic lining behind the cover, then put a magnet in a thumb tip, get the lady to hold onto the piece of paper (which looks like the book, don't forget to make the front facing side look like the book cover) and take the book cover and place it in front of the paper... now you can knock the front cover, get a silk, use the thumb tip magnet to ditch the cover, and ask the lady to apply pressure... then BOOM! MAGIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results