I am new

Mar 21, 2014
Hello, theory11 Community

I am new to this whole world of sleight of hand, cardistry, and magic. Throughout my life, I have often looked back and thought, "I wish I had known THAT when I began. It would have made this so much easier and I would be so much better/farther along!"

Therefore, I ask, what do YOU wish you had known, heard, seen, or experienced when you first started learning sleight of hand or cardistry?

I thank you for any feedback and will heed any advice.

Jake

Nov 24, 2013
Ok save yourself right now from doing what I did. When I started to learn magic I just went on YouTube and learned tricks from there and that's a bad idea in my opinion because instead of becoming a beginner in magic and slowly working up to be better, I started learning intermediate magic right away. Because of that I have to now work backwards and learn the beginner stuff and it's just weird. I'm fairly sure everyone else will say this too so I'll just say now, buy the book The Royal Road to Card Magic. I't the most helpful book for a beginner and should always be the first book a magician reads.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I wish I had started thinking about misdirection sooner. It's really easy, as a beginner, to quantify your success by how many sleights or tricks you know, skirting around the issue of misdirection and audience attention control because it seems too vague a concept and it's difficult to see how to practise it. So, my recommendation would be that, as early as you can, study the work of Tony Slydini, John Ramsay, Juan Tamariz, John Carney, Tom Stone and Greg Wilson. Even if you never learn any of their tricks, take some time to absorb their lessons on misdirection. Don't expect to get it all straight away, but make it a topic that you revisit periodically and do your best to install the lessons in your performances as soon as possible. You'll be bad at it to begin with, so it's better to get that bad period out of the way quickly so you can begin to be great at it!

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
These arn't so much things that I have learned over time, its just how my path in magic went and it has served me (and im sure many others) well. Buy books, start with the fundamentals the foundations of magic Mark Wilson's, Tarbell Course, Card College ect, don't get suckered in by the newest trick on the market and buy everything, perform to as many different people as you can as often as you can. By doing these things you will be setting yourself up well for later life in magic.

Aug 30, 2012
My best advice is be open to all kinds of magic. coins, cards, balloons, billiards. Also If an effect requires a gimmick or ends dirty..so what, its part of our existence and we have to deal with it. some of be best effects don't end clean or require some sort of gimmick, just don't be closed minded, and work on the basics because you can build your way up from there

It's not what you know, it's who you know. Network.

Don't focus on learning how to perform a hundred tricks well. Focus on learning to perform seven tricks better than anyone else in the world.

Don't buy into a trick, self image, industry, or career because you think it's just cool. Do it because you love it. Do it because you want it, and do it because it's not only a completion of who you are, but an extension of that person to everyone who sees you.

Be brutally honest with yourself everyday. Constantly challenge yourself to change, improve, and evolve. Discard what no longer works for you and have no fear about evolving yourself. Embrace and love yourself for who you are today even if that person is different or has different interests than who you were yesterday.

Never buy your own marketing material. Remain humble, and willing to help others, the same as others helped you.

Stand up for the art of magic and protect the integrity of the art. Practice good morals and business ethics when participating in it.

Anyone can learn how to do a trick, but not everyone can become a Magician. We were once wise men, elders, story tellers, sages, advisers, visionaries, and entertainers. The ability to inspire and create is an awesome responsibility and one we should never take lightly.

Never forget that you are an inspiration to someone. Because of you, dreams become possible, projects get started, and peoples lives become better.

Never underestimate the power of simple magic. Practice your foundations, and revisit the basics once in a while. The most advanced sleight of hand can easily be eclipsed in a spectators mind by a basic trick with an amazing performance.

It's the performance that matters, not the trick.

Never buy into magic companies hype over their products. Remember that they are corporations, and thus out to make money for themselves. Buy into effects, tricks, things, that matter to you as a performer. Buy into the things that will impact your ability to provide a good show for your audiences, don't just buy into something for the social status of it. Don't buy into something because it's a bandwagon. Buy a product because you believe in it, not because they believe you should have it.

Every single day fail at something, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. We learn best from making mistakes, not from succeeding at what we're trying to do.

You will always find time for the things that matter most in your life.

Once you learn how to perform a trick put the instructions in box, and put that box away. Re-write the presentation so it is in your words and fits your style. Never perform something stock.

Never try to do anything. Have you ever seen someone try to learn a magic trick? You either learn it or you don't. Trying is an illusion that only produces stagnation in personal growth and development. At best it just teaches you how to become better at procrastination, not performing. Succeed at doing something. Only through success do we find progress.

Lastly, believe in yourself and your dreams. Never let someone tell you that your dreams aren't important or can't be done. If you don't believe in yourself no one will. Take ownership for accomplishing in life what you want to do. Whether that be in magic or anything else you aspire to do.

Mar 21, 2014
Thank you all so much for your feedback! It is very helpful. I began by watching youtube videos, but am looking for a good book to get. I will take all of this advice! Hey, maybe you'll see me perform some day, and say, "I taught the kid how to start".

Thank you all,
Jake

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results