I can't submit my trick

Mar 3, 2013
I've been trying to submit a trick to The Wire but can't. My promo video uploads fine and my tutorial is about 10 minutes long but is a huge file, and takes about 8 or 9 hours to upload. This isn't a problem but I've done it twice now and when the upload finishes the bar turns red and says 'Error'. This has happened each time. It's very frustrating especially since it takes nine hours before it tells me an error has occurred.

Does anyone know what the problem is?
Thanks

Mark

Lead Sourcerer // theory11
Jul 23, 2007
USA
www.theory11.com
Hey Dom,

Our max filesize is very high at 5gb, but for slower connections, it's possible that the upload is timing out. 8-9 hours is a very long time for an upload!

I would recommend you re-export the video into a smaller format. We recommend Miro Video Converter. It's completely free software that will allow you to compress your video into a smaller format. Ideally your video should be 360p - 720p resolution at most. The MP4 format has a good balance between video quality and file size, and is ideal for Wire submissions.

Let me know if this works for you, and feel free to PM if I can help!

// Mark Garity
lead developer :: theory11

Mar 3, 2013
Thanks Mark

I took your advice and converted my video into mp4 format. This changed the size from 1.3 GB to 310 MB. This meant the upload took about 1.5 hours rather than 9
However the same problem occurred. The promo video uploaded fine but the tutorial got to exactly 95%, froze, and then the upload bar turned red and said 'Error' again.
Any ideas?

Mar 3, 2013
I've just tried to upload again, and finally this time it has worked and my trick is under review.
Thanks for your help

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I've just tried to upload again, and finally this time it has worked and my trick is under review.
Thanks for your help

Bingo! Sorry about those difficulties - seems like it may be an inconsistent internet connection to blame, but regardless glad it was resolved and submitted! Let us know if you have any continued difficulty anytime - our support crew is always here to help.

Mar 3, 2013
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help you have given me and how I've been treated.
Unfortunately, after I managed to submit my trick it was rejected, and I was just wondering whether you think it has been done before, or if it was a copyright issue.
Thanks again.[video=youtube;evhkvmwoPl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evhkvmwoPl4[/video]

Sep 1, 2007
I would say it's because this is not an original effect. I have no less than 4 books on my shelf right now that explain what the method behind this is, or at least the principle you're using.

Truth is, it's extremely difficult to create something new. Your problem is not only is it mechanically pretty boilerplate, your presentation of it was nothing special either. It was magic by numbers, so to speak.

Mar 3, 2013
I would say it's because this is not an original effect. I have no less than 4 books on my shelf right now that explain what the method behind this is, or at least the principle you're using.

Truth is, it's extremely difficult to create something new. Your problem is not only is it mechanically pretty boilerplate, your presentation of it was nothing special either. It was magic by numbers, so to speak.

I started working on this after I had just discovered The Wire so my understanding of the concept 'original' was obviously wrong, but I understand it perfectly now. I'm now in the middle of working on something that I'm almost 100% is original, but I've learnt that a lot of research is required.

Thanks for the feedback

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results