I can't take the heat... or the cold

Nov 27, 2010
Hey guys I have a serious problem..... when it is winter time my hands are freezing ,so It is hard for me to do my card tricks and cardistry moves. This happens because the coldness makes my hands really stiff and then it starts to hurt. When it is summer or spring I can flourish and do tricks for a certain amount of time before my hands get sweaty. The heat combined with my nervousness when preforming causes my hands to get so sweaty that my cardistry moves look sloppy and my slights look horrible.

Is there anything I can do about this Please help!!!!!

Dec 26, 2009
In the cold - make sure you stretch your hands before performing. If you stretch properly it will take a while for them to stiffen back up.

In the hot - the only thing I can offer you for advice is to wipe your hands off a lot and maybe carry a couple extra decks. In my experience, I normally do sleights better with my hands a little moist from sweat than I do if my hands are bone dry. The only problem that comes from moist hands is the bottom couple cards getting warped. Cutting the bottom cards to the middle of the deck after every trick or flourish would help keep the cards from warping. You can also be sure while in a "resting position" (while talking to the spec) to hold the deck in biddle grip instead of mechanics grip.

Just my thoughts.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hey guys I have a serious problem..... when it is winter time my hands are freezing ,so It is hard for me to do my card tricks and cardistry moves. This happens because the coldness makes my hands really stiff and then it starts to hurt. When it is summer or spring I can flourish and do tricks for a certain amount of time before my hands get sweaty. The heat combined with my nervousness when preforming causes my hands to get so sweaty that my cardistry moves look sloppy and my slights look horrible.

Is there anything I can do about this Please help!!!!!

Well...about the cold...I usually wear gloves until it`s time to perform...also try to perform indoors, so you can prevent it...

and about the heat...I keep the card set short...only around 3-4 trics then I stop to prevent the cards to get wet...and I continue with coins or anything else...

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
My hands are fine in the winter but I am exactly like you in the summer. My hands are a sweaty mess regardless of 10 years of experience. I'm just a sweaty guy when standing out in 90 degree sunlight...ha ha. I normally carry 2 or 3 decks on me in that instance and rotate as often as needed but I make sure that all 3 decks are the same (all red bicycles - or all blue bicycles)

You can try purell and other hand sanitizers that have alcohol in them to try to get the oils off and it will help dry your skin.

Nov 8, 2010
Vernon B.C
Baby powder works wonders in the summer for sweaty hands.

i back this up 100%.

i use baby powder for my hands when they get sweaty, and i also put it on my armpits, (no more wet spot!)
also, altho this may seem inappropriate, it works WONDERS in other....AHEM... "sweaty" areas.
laugh all you want, but your all going to secretly try it, and your all going to continue doing because its SO damn convenient, no more BSTL

Sep 1, 2007
Baby powder is also used by a lot of athletes to keep their feet and crotch dry to prevent rashes and fungus. It's very effective. The main ingredient? Talcum. What else is this used in? Chalk. Mountain climbers frequently keep a chalk block on them to dry sweaty hands in a hurry. I learned from experience that keeping a hunk of sidewalk chalk wrapped in a small plastic bag is good for sweaty hands. When busking I would just take the chalk out and rub it between my hands every so often. It dries the hands without also taking off too much of the natural oils on the skin.

Nov 8, 2010
Vernon B.C
i really like that idea (chunk of sidewalk chalk in pocket). thats a lot more convenient than having some kind of container in your pocket that has baby powder in it

Nov 27, 2010
Thanks guys!!!! the hand sanitizers are working. I am definitely gonna try the chalk or baby powder next. I can't wait until winter to see how the gloves and heat pads work. Once again THANKS!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results