I love live TV - Phenomenon!

Sep 1, 2007
Heckled by Criss Angel... now that would be interesting. I don't get to see the show since I'm overseas right now, but I tell you I wouldn't just stand there stupified... I'd pull a Bilbo Baggins...

"Tell me whats in this envelope."
"Tell me whats in my pocket."

This has won my funniest reply in this thread so far award :D One heckle to rule them all!

Sep 1, 2007
Alright guys, your just going to have to take my word on this.

First, the show isn't even live, it has been taped before hand. Also, if it was live, it would show an icon on a corner of the screen, and if you watch the commercials, little snippets of clips from the real show are in the previews.

Second, the fight was actually infact, staged. I know this because I have a friend of mine who attended the escape conference in Ontario and talked with a guy who is Criss's Consultant.

Last, you probably won't believe me and probably try to figure out why I am wrong, but this is what I've heard from a pretty reliable source.

Oh boy. I didn't see the whole performance so I can't truly comment on it. But from what I saw I think Criss should have waited until his true turn to judge to confront him.

Although I truly believe was Criss did was respectable as Criss never claims that what he does is real. There are tons of fakes out there (Edwards, Brown, etc.) and we don't need any more of them. There's a time and place for everything and Criss picked the wrong ones. I agree with his statements, but even HE wouldn't be able to guess what was in the envelope that was in his hands.

Good for ratings though.

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
criss wauz right to do so

criss was right in testing him because many people die telling others that you can speak to them is a mockery towards the dead:mad:

Oct 4, 2007
I didn't see the show yet. But imo, mentalists walk a fine line, especially those with a 'talk to the dead' slant. Some people who aren't performers at all use these very same tricks to swindle the public by mocking other peoples emotions. I imagine it's very tempting as a stage performer to cross the line into that dangerous world as well. It's important that we (magicians) don't tug at the heartstrings of those in mourning or pain simply to benifit ourselves monetarily. I believe James Randi is a wondeful role model for mentalists. Give them a thrill, but make sure you tell them it's an act afterwards (if your doing this kind of magic) because not to just makes you a con.

Sep 9, 2007
Oh boy. I didn't see the whole performance so I can't truly comment on it. But from what I saw I think Criss should have waited until his true turn to judge to confront him.

Although I truly believe was Criss did was respectable as Criss never claims that what he does is real. There are tons of fakes out there (Edwards, Brown, etc.) and we don't need any more of them. There's a time and place for everything and Criss picked the wrong ones. I agree with his statements, but even HE wouldn't be able to guess what was in the envelope that was in his hands.

Good for ratings though.

Mitchell

He did wait his turn. Uri went first with his psycho-babble about how he could feel the performance, and then Criss was called on and when they asked him what he thought, he smiled and you knew all hell was going to break loose. "I found it pretty comical acually...." and that's what started it....

http://www.popcrunch.com/criss-angel-phenomenon-audience-member-fight/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE45QHIUfiM

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
http://www.pennfans.net/view/Audio_Archive/PennRadio/The.Penn.Jillette.Radio.Show.2006.05.08/

Listen to this podcast Penn had with Criss Angel. You tell me, that Criss Angel is a class act after listening to this. I never was a fan of Penn, really. While I agree, Penn has some good material, I think as a public icon, he is quite the jerk. How are you not going to call David Blaine a friend one minute, but call him a friend to justify your jokes about him. "It's ok to make fun of friends" but just 10 seconds ago, you saying the opposite. Screw off Penn. When he shocks the world like Blaine has, trust me, I will be the first with my foot in my mouth. ON TO ANGEL!

Angel saying "Blaine is known for who he dates- I want to be known for what I do" WOW, what a jerk. Blaine is known for being a great card magician, and pushing himself to overcome whatever challenges he has set for himself. Regardless if it is a physical endurance challenge, or if it is new material for his street magic, he is going above and beyond. "David Blaines biggest fear is me. I am the real deal." - Angel.

You want me to support that? LISTEN TO THE PODCAST. It will change how you fell about the man.

That podcast is over a year old. Plus, you can't take anything they're saying seriously. They're just goofing around making it entertaining for the listeners.

Sep 9, 2007
Criss Angel is not the man now. Criss Angel is a self-righteous fake of a magician. Penn is the only other magician that I can think of that is this much of a jerk. Listen to the podcast I put up on the other page, it will change how you think about Criss Angel.

Penn is a unapologetically a jerk - and i respect him for it. He's not trying to piss on your head and call it rain. He has zero problem with exposure. And if you watch his and Teller's show Bullsh*t, you'll see that he's about finding the truth. He makes it clear that the effects he does are entertainment.

And most ethical magicians/illusionists/mentalists do. Then you got guys like Callahan, Edwards and Brown who use Cold Reading and claim it's real. Actually, Penn and Teller did an episode of Bullsh*t that exposed cold reading. Watch it, and then tell me who's side you're on.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?do...76&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9

Sep 1, 2007
Pierre T. is the only non-gullible person in this thread.

!!!!!!!!!THAT ENTIRE "FIGHT" WAS STAGED!!!!!!!

how can you guys honestly be thinking that this was some sort of unreheased occurance? it was a total JOKE!

I was embarrassed for magic on TV after watching that, now I'm embarrased about magicians, you guys actually BOUGHT that crap?

you are all so out of your MIND if you think Cris didn't have the entire thing planned from the beginning! come on use your brains people, please

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com

how can you guys honestly be thinking that this was some sort of unreheased occurance? it was a total JOKE!

I was embarrassed for magic on TV after watching that, now I'm embarrased about magicians, you guys actually BOUGHT that crap?

you are all so out of your MIND if you think Cris didn't have the entire thing planned from the beginning! come on use your brains people, please

You know...now that I actually took the time to sit back and watch everyone post their opinions on the subject I have to say, that I'm starting to believe the staging theory more and more.

I mean, I respect Criss VERY much. But, I don't think he's carrying a check around with a cool million everywhere he goes just in case he runs into someone claiming to be the real deal.

Shane K.

Sep 9, 2007

I actually thought this was a possibility when i saw it, but my real issue is with people who claim that stuff is real. When it's time to take off the mask and step out of character, do it.

I don't recall ever Callahan ever claiming to be real. Heck go on his website he claims to a *GASP* entertainer!

Clearly you didn't hear about him accepting Randi's challenge. Not to mention, and I quote from his OWN SITE

Jim Callahan is seeking individuals who desire employment after death.

I am looking for individuals who would like to participate in my shows and experiments after their deaths. You will be compensated for your participation and time. Find out more here.

$1,000,000.00 Will Be Paid
Look Here

Sep 9, 2007
But, I don't think he's carrying a check around with a cool million everywhere he goes just in case he runs into someone claiming to be the real deal.

a) he didn't have a cheque there
b) even if he did, his attack on Callahan was indeed planned, the question is if Callahan or the producers were in on it....

wpt1031

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Toledo Ohio
I actually thought this was a possibility when i saw it, but my real issue is with people who claim that stuff is real. When it's time to take off the mask and step out of character, do it.

Clearly you didn't hear about him accepting Randi's challenge. Not to mention, and I quote from his OWN SITE
And at the very bottom of that particular is this lovely disclaimer saying "©2006 Applied Thought Technologies LLC and Jim Callahan This site products and presentations are presented for purely entertainment, educational and artistic purposes. This statement is true in reference to all sites in this domain. This is an art entertainment product and should be viewed and used as such."

Sep 9, 2007
And at the very bottom of that particular is this lovely disclaimer saying "©2006 Applied Thought Technologies LLC and Jim Callahan This site products and presentations are presented for purely entertainment, educational and artistic purposes. This statement is true in reference to all sites in this domain. This is an art entertainment product and should be viewed and used as such."
touché.

but say someone does take him up on either offer, will he be able to use that as a defense?

I still don't get how that post-mortem employment works....it even has a sentence about negotiating further licensing afer death....who's going to mediate? John Edwards?

wpt1031

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Toledo Ohio
touché.

but say someone does take him up on either offer, will he be able to use that as a defense?

I still don't get how that post-mortem employment works....it even has a sentence about negotiating further licensing afer death....who's going to mediate? John Edwards?
I think that whole thing was meant to be a joke. I mean the last two people on the list that have accepted are hilarious as all get out.

7) Captain Drew - Ahoy, Master Callahan!
I be Captain Drew, famous internet-culture space pirate, creator of the
rPhone, producer/director of PiratePalooza: The Adventure Series and
organizer of a very popular pirate-themed pubcrawl in the Atlanta area.

I *was* rather planning on spending my Eternity in either Heaven or in Davy
Jones' locker, but if neither of those options works out for me I may indeed
have need of an after-death occupation... so please do consider me for the
part. I'm good at raiding, pillaging, running and hiding. Please note: I
shall require a comely wench to be my personal assistant in the event that I
work with you after my demise. You may pay her 7 groats of my weekly fee, 10
if she's really hot.

Avast, ahoy and all that rot,
--
Captain Drew
http://www.piratepalooza.com/

8) Chad Sanborn - Are you saying you want me dead? LOL This is a great bit! But it will never work with me, as I plan to live forever! But in case I don't, and do pass on before I plan to, you can feel free to contact me for the show. http://www.chadsanborn.com/

Oct 7, 2007
You know...now that I actually took the time to sit back and watch everyone post their opinions on the subject I have to say, that I'm starting to believe the staging theory more and more.

I mean, I respect Criss VERY much. But, I don't think he's carrying a check around with a cool million everywhere he goes just in case he runs into someone claiming to be the real deal.

Shane K.

He probabaly decided to bring a check during dress rehearsals. It may be staged- what does it matter? Jim didn't say he was doing an illusion or re-enactment of a seance. Criss promised and was specifically hired to be the "harsh one" by NBC. He also promised to out fakes. Criss "invited" Uri or Jim to guess about the envelope. Jim advanced down the catwalk showing agression and calling names first. It was intended to provoke thought, debate and major publicity. It has been madly successful in fulfilling that destiny. It was great television. Television IS intended to be entertainment.

I think you may be right on all counts,Shane. I have enjoyed reading your comments as well as all those here. Everyone is entitled to their view and opinion- and all of these have been stimulating. Let's hope no one gets terribly serious about this and remembers it is an entertainment business as well as an art form. There is olympic wrestling and tv wrestling for a reason. Both are athletic events... one has a little drama and acting for entertainment purposes. I think magic is much the same. You see where I am going, I hope. There is classical music and pop music. Classical Art and modern pop art. This show and Criss' art are the pop culture forms of magic. Within that framework all this drama is appropriate. Just wanted to drop that thought on someone who is obviously willing to look at the situation from several angles. Keep the interesting posts coming!- DalanJe

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results