I Need Help

Jul 7, 2008
ok i went to my freshman year open house today and i had brought a deck of cards with me in case i got nervous or wut not. i had been playing with them since i arrived and as i went to get my schedule, the women giving me the schedule had told me that cards arent allowed on the schools grounds and if i get caught with them, theyll cofiscate it immediately and assume that youre gambling. Now my mom brought up the fact that i could start doing money and coin magic but my heart is into card magic.
My question is, what should i do so i can perform?

Yea focus on education is good idea.
I understand you want to show off some talent, but DO NOT BRING CARDS! the last thing u need to do is get introuble for some stupid cards!
Listen to your mom on this one.
Coin trick. mentalism tricks, LOOPS
just use your imagination.
but dont get introuble for a stupid deck of cards.
practice at home. and save the cards for some other time when you arnt in school

Dec 4, 2008
Take them anyway. I was told the same thing in high school, but I didn't have a single deck taken from me. The only person who had a problem with it was my principal, and he wouldn't even think to take my cards away. He said one thing to me about it and after that he basically gave up. One piece of advice though is to get the teachers on your side. That will help you tremendously. I also had the dean of students asking to see magic everyday which also helped. Just if you take a deck, don't take an expensive one stick with bikes.

Yea focus on education is good idea.
I understand you want to show off some talent, but DO NOT BRING CARDS! the last thing u need to do is get introuble for some stupid cards!
Listen to your mom on this one.
Coin trick. mentalism tricks, LOOPS
just use your imagination.
but dont get introuble for a stupid deck of cards.
practice at home. and save the cards for some other time when you arnt in school

cards are worth getting in trouble over, especially if you are talented with those pasteboards you hold in your hands. Like i said, if your talented enough, they can make exceptions, believe me i know.

Jul 7, 2008
Take them anyway. I was told the same thing in high school, but I didn't have a single deck taken from me. The only person who had a problem with it was my principal, and he wouldn't even think to take my cards away. He said one thing to me about it and after that he basically gave up. One piece of advice though is to get the teachers on your side. That will help you tremendously. I also had the dean of students asking to see magic everyday which also helped. Just if you take a deck, don't take an expensive one stick with bikes.

yea thats another thing i was prob going to end up doing. i did that in middle school and everyone became a fan but the high school teachers seem a bit more strict which worries me because they dont like to play around.

Aug 31, 2007
cards are worth getting in trouble over, especially if you are talented with those pasteboards you hold in your hands. Like i said, if your talented enough, they can make exceptions, believe me i know.

Lol cards are definitely not worth the trouble. There are other ways to impress people with magic that do not involve cards. I would respect their wishes and not bring them.

ok i went to my freshman year open house today and i had brought a deck of cards with me in case i got nervous or wut not. i had been playing with them since i arrived and as i went to get my schedule, the women giving me the schedule had told me that cards arent allowed on the schools grounds and if i get caught with them, theyll cofiscate it immediately and assume that youre gambling. Now my mom brought up the fact that i could start doing money and coin magic but my heart is into card magic.
My question is, what should i do so i can perform?

Okay put a full stop on everything you are doing and seriously think about this for two seconds.

IT IS NOT WORTH THE COST OF GETTING POTENTIALLY SUSPENDED FOR THE SAKE OF SHOWING OFF!

You're a magician. You have a lot of other magic options open to you, and it's not like you can't exploit card magic at other times. Use your head here, and play by the schools rules. You can't beat them at their own game.

I graduated high school in 1999. Cards were not allowed at my school either, and for the same reason. Gambling. However, that didn't stop me from working with the faculty to use my cards in every talent show and performance venue they had. Work with the teachers, explain what you do. You may find that some will be safe havens for you to entertain in their rooms.

communicate, don't assume. You'll be fine.

Dec 4, 2008
The first day of my eleventh grade year I was in a new building where the faculty didn't know me, but all the students did. I was in the gym locker room after class showing people magic, but my teacher didn't know thats what I did. He came out and told me to put my cards away. The entire at once said "but he is the magic man." At that point I told my teacher to watch. I performed shapeshifter. He said nevermind and sat and watched me perform for another ten minutes. Most teachers and faculty won't care. If they do the most they are going to do is tell you to put them away. If they don't know what you do then show them. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jul 7, 2008
Okay put a full stop on everything you are doing and seriously think about this for two seconds.

IT IS NOT WORTH THE COST OF GETTING POTENTIALLY SUSPENDED FOR THE SAKE OF SHOWING OFF!

You're a magician. You have a lot of other magic options open to you, and it's not like you can't exploit card magic at other times. Use your head here, and play by the schools rules. You can't beat them at their own game.

I graduated high school in 1999. Cards were not allowed at my school either, and for the same reason. Gambling. However, that didn't stop me from working with the faculty to use my cards in every talent show and performance venue they had. Work with the teachers, explain what you do. You may find that some will be safe havens for you to entertain in their rooms.

communicate, don't assume. You'll be fine.

this is true. Im not worried so much about getting my cards taken away, but more on the lines of me losing my ability to make friends faster than most. In the beginning of middle school, magic helped me meet new people, and bring me confidence to talk to random people. With a new school, me being at the bottom of the food chain, its harder to make new friends and meet new people if you cant connect with them at all. Its a shame that a school would take away something that helps benefit others from meeting new people just because theyre assuming based on past experiences. idk i may be getting ahead of myself a bit. I appreciate your guys help a lot.

Aug 31, 2007
this is true. Im not worried so much about getting my cards taken away, but more on the lines of me losing my ability to make friends faster than most. In the beginning of middle school, magic helped me meet new people, and bring me confidence to talk to random people. With a new school, me being at the bottom of the food chain, its harder to make new friends and meet new people if you cant connect with them at all. Its a shame that a school would take away something that helps benefit others from meeting new people just because theyre assuming based on past experiences. idk i may be getting ahead of myself a bit. I appreciate your guys help a lot.

Its ok man, there are other ways to make friends. Make friends that like you for who you are, not for the magic aspect.

May 18, 2008
I am totally allowed to use them in high school, but in Middle School, I wasn't.

I just told my teachers, "Look, it is a nervous habit. I have to be doing something with my hands and the cards are at least productive, so I suppose I could tap on a desk or something..."

But I say it in a REALLY careful way. Say it in a way as if you are just considering it as another option that doesn't come off as condiscending or smartaleky.

Jul 7, 2008
Its ok man, there are other ways to make friends. Make friends that like you for who you are, not for the magic aspect.

yea i get wut ur saying. I can make friends easily, but i just think that magic brings out the ability to do it easier than others. Im not relying on my magic to make my friends for me, but more of the lines of using it to my advantage.

Had the same trouble when I started doing magic in high school, the gambling thing is very annoying to be honest with you. Since this is a new school the last thing you want to do is to be in trouble with any authority figureheads. I didn't do any magic unless I was absolutely certain the teachers were cool with it, should be easy to detect which ones since they usually are cool with the students.

Practice around them and don't ever flaunt it out in open asking to be in trouble. Quick story, friend introduced me to some buddies during lunch and had me do some quick magic and the closing trick I was interrupted by this huge jackass and former F.B.I "agent" administrator. Well I was a bit nervous but told him I did some magic and he tested me, did a biddle and seemed unimpressed, so decided easiest way was card to mouth and his face went pretty blank and was a bit embarrassed.

Never had any trouble after that, you need to develop a sort of relationship if you really are that into card magic. Take it slow and easy and when the time comes see if you have that opportunity to show them what you do and not some jerk off gambling instead of learning.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results