I need YOUR help for a performance

Apr 1, 2008
Hi!

My name is Robin and I've been asked to perform for a bunch of children between the ages of 6 to 14, all girl, in groups of 10, 4 performances of 45 minutes.

Sooooo to put it simple, I don't know what to perform :s
Does anyone have anything to help?
Scripts? Simple to do but visual effects?
I don't think that the younger ones will appreciate a lot of conversation but more visual effects. Also I haven't got a clue for a script.

I've "mastered" Card college volume one and am familiar with a lot of tricks.
These I've got so far:
pressure
five: ladder sequence
symphony: colt.44
static
wayne houchin: thread, stigmata
exile
witness
invisible palm, reset, any card any number, invisble deck,...
shadow coins

please help me :p I'm terrified of entertaining small children :p I think they are probably less polite and will lose interest a lot faster ..

video's, descriptions, title, scripts.. I could use it all ;)

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hi!

My name is Robin and I've been asked to perform for a bunch of children between the ages of 6 to 14, all girl, in groups of 10, 4 performances of 45 minutes.

I don't think that the younger ones will appreciate a lot of conversation but more visual effects. Also I haven't got a clue for a script.

These I've got so far:
pressure
static
exile
witness
shadow coins

please help me :p I'm terrified of entertaining small children :p I think they are probably less polite and will lose interest a lot faster ..

ok...first question...how much time you got left until the party?

Hi!

These I've got so far:
pressure
static
exile
witness
shadow coins

I don't understand why you would agree to do four shows of 45 minutes if you are this un-prepared. Still I hope it all goes well and wish you luck.

Not really sure what advice to give other than keep it simple and visual. Invisible deck is good as the premise is simple and it's nearly impossible to mess up. Pressure is nice and visual. Reset has to many 'moves' for the moody teenagers to call you out on so drop that one. I'd DEFINITELY drop Thread if there are going to be 6 year old girls around, that is sure to just scare them more than anything.

I'll say one other thing, you need to maybe think a little more outside of the 'Theory 11 world'. Nearly all the tricks you have there are the current trendy ones every magician and their dog is doing and some of them simply won't work in this situation. I say grab a copy of 'Mark Wilsons Complete Course'. With ten people in each crowd, you could almost do a sort of mini parlour show, and there is more than enough material in that book to do that. Rope magic is especially great as it 'packs small and plays big'. Also, Cups and balls. Just use paper cups and tin foil balls and learn the basic routine and your golden.

Hope that helps. if i think of anything else I'll pop back!

Peace

Rev

Apr 1, 2008
thanks Rev,

yeah I guess that would be a good idea not to do thread :D

I've got a week, and it's an informal performance. I'm thinking about teaching them a trick perhaps, something simple with rubber bands or something alike.

I've still got a week to prepare. My biggest problems isn't the tricks, if I spread them enough I think it will work out, but mainly the parlour..

I look into that book, thanks! :)

and I'll definitly practise the cups and balls ;)

thanks Rev,

yeah I guess that would be a good idea not to do thread :D

I've got a week, and it's an informal performance. I'm thinking about teaching them a trick perhaps, something simple with rubber bands or something alike.

I've still got a week to prepare. My biggest problems isn't the tricks, if I spread them enough I think it will work out, but mainly the parlour..

I look into that book, thanks! :)

and I'll definitly practise the cups and balls ;)

Teaching a trick is a great idea. Just make it something simple that all of them (at any age) can do. And definitely get the book. Nearly every experienced magician you speak to will agree it's one of the best books you can get for the money. You could make a whole show from just the material in that book! Plus it's available at nearly all bookshops.

Good luck!

Rev

Oct 25, 2008
Norway
First of all, let me just say that many magicians who performs for children do not use cards at all when performing. And after performing at some parties for children, I must agree with them. To me, it seems that the kids don't find cards as magical and exciting as adults. Wheither you're doing a triumph-routine, ambitious card routine or make their signed card magically pop up in your pocket, I don't believe, after own experience, that kids are that fascinated by it. Of course, there are always someone who enjoys it, but the majority of a crowd of children will not like it.

It think it's essential to use big, visual and colorful stuff when performing for children. The effects has to be very clear, not complicated and advanced gambling-routines with cards. You have to be clear with them of what the effect is all about and it has to be very easy to explain. Things like levitating stuff (hummingbird card), silks, balloons, thumb tip, sponge balls, vanishing and reproducing things etc are items I believe works well on children. There are of course magic tricks made espcially for children and I recommend you checking them out as well. A good place to start looking is Penguin Magic. I've bought most of my stuff from them, even though there maybe other magic shops, like your local one.

When reading through your list of tricks, I think that pressure will be good and invisible palm, static and shadow coins will work fine. Not great, but fine. Coins are fun to watch for kids, but it can't be too complicated.

You can read about theory on magic for kids in several books. Unfortunately I don't remember the names for any book, but make a search on various magical forums or google, and you will find something.

I don't want to scare you or be hard to you, but many people often believes that magic for kids are simple and easy to do. That's wrong. Magic for kids aren't the same as magic for adults and has to be adapted to suit the age of the kids. If the trick is too complicated or takes to long time, the kids will loose interest. Try to make the tricks simple, direct and visual. Either one of them or all combined at once. I've done some shows for kids, and it has worked ok. But after done magic for kids, I really envy and admire those who just do magic for kids, because they are so good at it.

These are just my thoughts and opinions so if it helps you, I'm glad it did.

Good luck! :)

Jun 10, 2010
First of all, let me just say that many magicians who performs for children do not use cards at all when performing. And after performing at some parties for children, I must agree with them. To me, it seems that the kids don't find cards as magical and exciting as adults. Wheither you're doing a triumph-routine, ambitious card routine or make their signed card magically pop up in your pocket, I don't believe, after own experience, that kids are that fascinated by it. Of course, there are always someone who enjoys it, but the majority of a crowd of children will not like it.

It think it's essential to use big, visual and colorful stuff when performing for children. The effects has to be very clear, not complicated and advanced gambling-routines with cards. You have to be clear with them of what the effect is all about and it has to be very easy to explain. Things like levitating stuff (hummingbird card), silks, balloons, thumb tip, sponge balls, vanishing and reproducing things etc are items I believe works well on children. There are of course magic tricks made espcially for children and I recommend you checking them out as well. A good place to start looking is Penguin Magic. I've bought most of my stuff from them, even though there maybe other magic shops, like your local one.

When reading through your list of tricks, I think that pressure will be good and invisible palm, static and shadow coins will work fine. Not great, but fine. Coins are fun to watch for kids, but it can't be too complicated.

You can read about theory on magic for kids in several books. Unfortunately I don't remember the names for any book, but make a search on various magical forums or google, and you will find something.

I don't want to scare you or be hard to you, but many people often believes that magic for kids are simple and easy to do. That's wrong. Magic for kids aren't the same as magic for adults and has to be adapted to suit the age of the kids. If the trick is too complicated or takes to long time, the kids will loose interest. Try to make the tricks simple, direct and visual. Either one of them or all combined at once. I've done some shows for kids, and it has worked ok. But after done magic for kids, I really envy and admire those who just do magic for kids, because they are so good at it.

These are just my thoughts and opinions so if it helps you, I'm glad it did.

Good luck! :)

Don't think I'll ever perform for little kids then. Most of those sound like gimmick tricks, and I like card magic/flourishing which utilizes sleight of hand only. But at a camp I go to, I perform for 8 year olds and up, and they react well to my tricks. So... yeah...

Jun 7, 2008
Texas
Hello Robin :) First off I feel your pain :p I asked for show advice last year and got bashed for being unprepared XD I did two 45min. shows for 6-12 year olds and I know its not "encouraged" but cards worked for me I just performed alot of changes and simple effects. For example: I had them pick a card and then I would find it by boomeranging it into the air and they enjoyed that. So my short and sweet advice to you is to be prepared for a variety of tricks and then perform the ones you feel suit the situation :)

Apr 1, 2008
thanks guys for the tips !

i've still got a few days to prepare, but i'm really not gonna buy and learn the props and big magical things (it will be a one time gig :) )

but i'll definitly go for the more visual effects:)
does anyone knows something about the borrowed old deck, like in what notes to find it? I've seen a performance with does and am interested :)

I'm also thinking about doing magic tricks with stories they can relate to:) perhaps that can help fill my time

anyone an idea about what to teach the kids? haven't got a clue there ..

May 19, 2010
thanks guys for the tips !

i've still got a few days to prepare, but i'm really not gonna buy and learn the props and big magical things (it will be a one time gig :) )

but i'll definitly go for the more visual effects:)
does anyone knows something about the borrowed old deck, like in what notes to find it? I've seen a performance with does and am interested :)

I'm also thinking about doing magic tricks with stories they can relate to:) perhaps that can help fill my time

anyone an idea about what to teach the kids? haven't got a clue there ..

The linking paper clips. It is really easy to teach and kids love it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results