I want a thumb tip

Jun 2, 2013
So, I'm practicing thumb tip magic at the moment. I'm currently using a very cheap plastic tip, but my uses with it are very limited because it doesn't stay on my nail....so I want to buy a better thumb tip from PenguinMagic.

I consider my thumb size to be relatively average. My knuckle, when put in a relaxed position, has a width of .8 inches or so. Could someone help me with a recommendation?

I also have a couple questions:
I hear from some people that you can put the TT on your thumb and place it briefly in boiling water to re-size the tip. Can someone confirm this?

Aug 9, 2013
Hmmm I do not really understand what you mean by "it doesn't stay on my nail". The TT should stop at your first knuckle.

Jun 2, 2013
I meant that my old thumb tip couldn't grip at my nail at all, so whenever I let my hand go down the TT would fall off (I know that it stops a little shy of the first knuckle).

Apr 17, 2013
I do not use the Vernet TT. My mentor used a semi soft vinyl TT. They are made in Japan and come in a range of sizes. they also match my skin a bit better. If you can a brick and mortar shop is best because it lets to get a feel for size and the difference in the plastic vs vinyl.

Apr 17, 2013
Side note. I do have some older metal ones I'm thinking about going back to using.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Also, you can take a TT that doesn't fit and put it in warm or hot water and mold it to fit your thumb a lot better. Just a low tech, free way of fixing a certain problem.

Apr 17, 2013
also to help it fit a little better a small pin hole in the end helps. Makes it worthless for liquid but that is a price you pay. Also a little tin foil in the end lets you vanish lit items

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
you can get the soft vinyl TT at penguin, they give them away free if you order Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT magic (its called something like that) would highly recommend it if your learning TT magic.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
The Vernet tip has been a standard for more than 50 years I believe, they fool the average human being a lot more than you might believe WHEN HANDLED PROPERLY.

The Warm Water technique is the standard for making them fit but if you have small hands and small thumbs, you might want to try a finger-tip. . . a cut down 6th finger gimmick. I've had to do this for several female students as well as younger neophytes. Vernet also makes these.

The latex/rubber TTs can be found @ Stevens Magic, Penguin, Magic Inc and most any other reputable dealer that carries a full line of magic utility & support props as well as the current flavor of the month. The Darwin books on the TT are a "must" in my mind; you will learn just how powerful that piece of plastic can be when used properly.. . and do understand, there are things that the plastic tip is good for that the latex tips shouldn't be used for -- the vanishing cigarette for an example, will cause the rubber tips to discolor. . . I've had far too many incidents of this with other gimmicks that use the rubber tip and there seems to be no way of correcting the staining.

There are over-sized tips as well, that permit you to deliver larger loads, such as the famed gold fish or use in a long salt pour. I've even produced beverages (cocktails) using them, so be willing to explore and experiment.

Jun 2, 2013
I actually already bought Darwin's works and am studying them with my current TT. That is when I realized that my current TT is just too uncomfortable for me, especially when Darwin's looks so soft.

I'm looking at both the Vernet Medium Soft and the Vernet Classic. Which tip do you think is better for my thumb (tip to knuckle is 1 and 3/16 in, width of knuckle is 9-10/16 in)? I will probably try to inplement the warm water technique if my new tip is still too large.

Tricks that I may implement with my TT will include a torn and restored tissue, silk vanishes, rope restoration, and definitely the salt trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results