Ideas for creating your own effect...

There comes a time in every magicians life where, in order to go further, he, or she, must stop learning new effects and try to create their own. Although this is very hard to do there are things you can do to make this time in your life a bit easier on you. I wish to list a few helpful things that have aided me in creating tricks either on purpose or by accident. Here they are.

1: Have an idea of what you want the effect to look like and what is goong to happen.

2: try to think of all the possible sleights you know and write them down. This will allow you to look and see what move you may use to accomplish something in your trick.

3:begin trying to put the sleights in as you go. For examople if you know that you need the ace which you have a break over to get to the top then you may want to decide what pass you should use.

4: finish designing your "prototype" and continue practicing. I call it a prototype because it is possible, and quite likely, that you will need to make modifications to it.

5: If the trick needs to be modified or tweaked then try to do so. For example if the pass you used winds up with you being at a revealing angle then try another pass.

6: make sure that the trick flows smoothly into one sleight after another.

7: finish the trick.

8: Come up with patter for your trick and also find out where you'll want misdirection if any is needed.

9: practice again only this time perform the trick to yourself while using your patter.

10: tweak your patter if need be.

11: practice more.

12: perform for someone who you know will not reveal your secret if they catch you when doing the trick.

13a: if they could figure it our then tweak it some more.

13b: If they were baffled then go back and practice more anyway to garauntee satisfaction everytime.

14: Come up with a name for your effect. (never tell the audiance the name in case it does get big and you put it on the market.)

15: Hit the streets and perform to people who you don't know and see what they think.

I myself am currently trying to develop a trick at the moment. I want to have a card selected and shuffled in. I then say I will cut to their card, I fail at this. Then, i pick up a card that isn't theirs and spin it face up on my middle finger. In mid spin it visually changes to their card. This trick is still in development stages and needs a method.

I hope this helped.

Good job creating some steps for creating a trick.

One thing though, just to put it out there is you're likely t find an effect by just playing around with a deck of cards (for card magic), When I think of something I can't find a way to do it, just by messing around I've created an indirect card control with several variations, an inversion effect (I'd call it flow but I already know a few tricks called either Flo or Flow), and a trick I call Bitten (though the method is so simple I'm positive people know how to do it).

Chances are your effect will have been discovered before you did though. So if you wanna market it you gotta do some research...but hell we aren't talking about marketing, just about making up a trick :D

~PaCo

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
There comes a time in every magicians life where, in order to go further, he, or she, must stop learning new effects and try to create their own.

I disagree.

At some point magician will realise that sleight X is better in trick Y than the sleight Z that was taught with it. Magician modifies handling a little. Late he realises that this plot could use a better ending. He changes the ending.

And so on. It is not that magician should start to create things from scratch. Of course, it is possible, and advisable to do so if you have a good idea, but you can be creative without starting from scratch.

Basically, you get an idea, and make it into reality. Perhaps it is a variation of sleight, a new effect, new handling for routine...

I disagree.

At some point magician will realise that sleight X is better in trick Y than the sleight Z that was taught with it. Magician modifies handling a little. Late he realises that this plot could use a better ending. He changes the ending.

And so on. It is not that magician should start to create things from scratch. Of course, it is possible, and advisable to do so if you have a good idea, but you can be creative without starting from scratch.

Basically, you get an idea, and make it into reality. Perhaps it is a variation of sleight, a new effect, new handling for routine...
True!

In my desperate attempts to replicate the last queens vanish, I came up with a sick 1 card vanish and or change. Im just working on cutting out the loud noise that occurs during the change.

Apr 28, 2008
Philippines
nice tips, I made a trick myself...

So my trick is, pretty simple... just some great story telling and some misdirection...:D

So it goes like this, I show them the six of clubs... put in on top... i take it, do a card spin and say, "I'll make this card so dizzy that it doesnt know If it's a six or nine... but actually, it turns to a 9..." (yeah It's kinda like 69 by Dan and Dave) then I place the card at the bottom, do a card switch and truns to a 6 again... yeah Kinda lame, but It does have reactions...

nice tips again, I'll try to make another one... ^_^

btw I'm new here...:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results