If An Octopus Could Palm..

Sep 1, 2007
This review may be brief, but it will be honest. That much I can promise.

The book is only about 80 pages, however it's almost children's book sized, but I believe that was the intent once you get a good look at the cover and the little octopus illustrations on some of the pages. The book itself is a very well produced book, the cover is very nice, as is the binding, and the pages feel like they're high quality. I don't know what type of finish, but I'm going to say somewhere between Smoke and Mirrors and Gold Seals. (Kidding)

Included in the book are about 12 different techniques, however there are countless ideas. I don't know if that makes any sense so let me explain. This book is a thought experiment. Taking palming to a new place, for better or for worse, but sometimes - especially as artists, we need to move somewhere, if not just to find out how nice it was back where we were.

This book sets out to inspire you on thinking outside of the box. I really think the book does deliver on that promise - I feel like the ideas on the book are worth far more than what I paid for the book. I want to recreate different ways of doing almost every sleight in every effect I perform. The book has some pretty out-there ideas, which are pretty awesome. More importantly, when you read an idea that's so crazy, it expands your "crazy" boundaries. What you once thought was crazy becomes feasible when you hear of an idea that's FAR more absurd - thus your brain expands your thoughts, what once you thought crazy doesn't seem so crazy anymore - and the paradigm shifts.

As a professional working magician AND as a creator but also someone who sees magic as an art that I take very seriously as an artist - I found this book to be one of the best I've read recently. Do yourself a favor and pick a copy up before they run out.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think I'm going to open them- im not a huge fan of the back design so I might sell them to someone who wants to keep theirs sealed but also have an open pack

Jun 1, 2009
What would you rank the difficulties of the palms in the book? Should someone have a pretty decent understanding of palming before getting this? Or could a fairly new person (to palming) jump right in? This is Dan and Dave we're talking about here haha.

Jacob

Sep 1, 2007
What would you rank the difficulties of the palms in the book? Should someone have a pretty decent understanding of palming before getting this? Or could a fairly new person (to palming) jump right in? This is Dan and Dave we're talking about here haha.

Jacob

Good question, this book is meant for those with a pretty solid background in palming. I'd say if you don't feel comfortable with palming with both hands that this may be a tad out of your league.

Not saying that it's impossible, as you're not required to do a whole ton from the palm position. This book mainly teaches different ways of getting into a palm. However, you'll need a pretty solid foundation in advanced card mechanics to get any use from these techniques - and even then they will take some practice.

Jun 1, 2009
Thank you for a solid answer, maybe a little later down the road I'll pick this one up.

Jacob

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Thank you for a solid answer, maybe a little later down the road I'll pick this one up.

Jacob

Jacob, if you definitely want to pick this up, there are only a few hundred left in stock. They've been going fast since Friday. If you really want a copy I would suggest for you to purchase it sooner than later.

Jun 1, 2009
Jacob, if you definitely want to pick this up, there are only a few hundred left in stock. They've been going fast since Friday. If you really want a copy I would suggest for you to purchase it sooner than later.

Thanks for the heads up Casey, I appreciate it. In all honesty though, I think I'll be ok without it, the price isn't in my range, and the content isn't really for me. Best of luck to whoever tries to tackle it though!

Jacob

Sep 1, 2007
Casey is right, actually there's only a few hundred even printed haha. With that said the price tag is a little high if you don't think you're going to use any of the material, and I'd say only a couple ideas in the book are truly workable sleights.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results