I'm performing magic at a party and I'm really nervous!

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hey Guys!

I am going to be performing (not paid) at a party on the 7th of March, and im quite nervous. I have never done something this big (there will be 50 or so there) and i was wondering if anyone has any good tips on beating nervousness. I also need help with the tricks i am going to be doing. I have no money, and i am going to be choosing out of the ones i have. can you guys help me out? I have:

DISTORTION (Im deffinitly doing)
CONTROL
WITNESS
PK SILVERWARE
STIGMATA
HOW TO DO STREET MAGIC
TORN
BULLET
BOTH OF THE DAVID STONE DVD's
and THE TRILOGY (which i have no chance of mastering any time soon)
DANIEL MADISON NOTES (One, Two, OUTLAW, THE DEVILS TOUCH, EI8HT 2WO, OUTLAW, BOUND, A BLOOD SYSTEM DECK and BREACH)
DANIEL GARCIA'S BLUEPRINTS

So i need some help. It will be walk around/table hopping.
Please bear in mind that i am 12 and 3 quaters and i have no flash paper. I thank you all in advance!

Felix

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
David Stone's stuff is probably more suited, but it's your performance man. :) Sit down, think about it and create a wicked routine.

I'd rule out control though, unless you want to do it at the end of the night kind of thing. Like Wayne did, let the rumours stir that you might do something like it. I think PK Silverware and Torn would be good ones to do too. :)

But yeah, it's your road buddy, you gotta walk it.

- Sean

Nice job getting a gig!

As for your nerves, just don't think about the gig itself. You have enough time between now and then to drive yourself nuts worrying about what might happen, so just focus on getting yourself ready. Preparation breeds success.

As for what to do, let me make a point that I don't mean to sound harsh but which might: HAVING a piece of magic and being ready to perform that piece are two VERY different distinctions.

I have a feeling that your list will shorten quite a bit if I were to ask you to narrow it down to the tricks you've performed more than 20 times (and I set that number low, I usually go for 50 breaking in performances with a piece before I start to feel it beginning to fit me.)

Also, you listed several products that have tons of material within the product. You say you have David Stone's DVD's. That does not help us in terms of telling you what to do. What pieces from that DVD are you comfortable performing?

Good luck!

Pj

I am new at theory 11, but I know a lot about these tricks. Distortion is a great way to open and amaze everyone there. You should also use torn and control. And if you are there for a long time, you can also choose between Bullet and stigmata.
to beat your nervousness, you must talk to yourself. you know that little voice in the back of your head? Just let it SHUT UP!!!! It works for me when I'm performing.
So that's it! Have a good time!!!

~Björn~

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Nice job getting a gig!

As for your nerves, just don't think about the gig itself. You have enough time between now and then to drive yourself nuts worrying about what might happen, so just focus on getting yourself ready. Preparation breeds success.

As for what to do, let me make a point that I don't mean to sound harsh but which might: HAVING a piece of magic and being ready to perform that piece are two VERY different distinctions.

I have a feeling that your list will shorten quite a bit if I were to ask you to narrow it down to the tricks you've performed more than 20 times (and I set that number low, I usually go for 50 breaking in performances with a piece before I start to feel it beginning to fit me.)

Also, you listed several products that have tons of material within the product. You say you have David Stone's DVD's. That does not help us in terms of telling you what to do. What pieces from that DVD are you comfortable performing?

Good luck!

Pj

Thanks for all this help. First off i have done Distortion many a time, and i am deffinitly doing it. Witness i have done a bunch of times, so i am doing that. Some stuff from HTDSM is definitly in. I am now off to go and write down my stuff and what i say. Thanks again. Also, i am comfterbly doing most of these tricks apart from the ones with flash paper.

Felix

Sep 6, 2007
Estonia
Yes. Lots of gimmiced stuff. You CANT go wrong with those. Also, let CONTROL be the last. That WILL freak everyone out.
Good Luck !

Oct 3, 2007
germany
In my opinion, the best way to loosen the nerves is to start by performing a (or some) simpler, perhaps not as hard hitting, trick(s) before you go into you'r main set of effects. I mean something like invisible reverse from the one on ones, or a simple revelation with a color change. Something technically simple, so that you can begin by focusing on getting to know your audience without worrying about flashing on a difficult or complex slight.

Just a bit of input i thought i would share. It works for me at least :p

Zep.

Feb 14, 2008
New Engalnd
Well, DON'T do gimmick trick after gimmick after gimmick. Switch in impromtu in between maybe every other gimmick trick ( or every other 2) Because it seems like you have a large amount of gimmicks. But do what ever is comfortable and easy flowing. I'm not a good performer =D but i get the job done.

Aug 30, 2007
Hey Felix.

As far as effect selection, I would suggest that you only perform effects that you are very comfortable with. Confidence in your ability to get away with the sleights involved will go a long way to improving your performance, particularly if you expect to be nervous while performing. Steer clear of moves that are new to you or particularly complicated for the evening. Your audience doesn't know how difficult those things are to do, so you'll only be making it harder on yourself.

For example, you could walk up to a table and hand a sealed envelope to someone giving them instructions to guard it and make sure no one (including yourself) opens or tampers with it in any way. Specifically ask them if they are willing to do this. If they verbally agree, they're more likely to follow your instructions.

From there, move to someone else in the table and force them a card using a method that you are comfortable with (determine which method this will be before the performance and practice it until you can do it without even thinking). The rest is build up. Don't just open the envelope. Ask them if it would be impressive if you could have predicted their actions in advance. Give them a moment to voice their opinions. Then, ask your envelope holder to open it and reveal its contents to everyone.

This is an old plot in magic and it plays very well, but the nice thing about it is that you are only required to get away with one thing. Just bring an extra deck and a stack of envelopes to reset between tables.

Also, don't expect to find a magic way to beat your nerves completely. You'll still feel them (everyone does when they start performing for people), but if you want a psychological tip that will help relax you I would suggest to smile. Smiling does two very important things, it communicates confidence and acceptance to your audience (even when you aren't feeling it inside) and it produces an autonomic response in your body that should help relax you.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
My advice is look at the effects you have in your repetoire, and look at what you know cold.

Meaning you NEVER flash, you never hesitate trying to emember what's next, or while you get your pinky break. THOSE are the effects you should do, and only those. I am not saying this to be strick, but rather this is what will help you with your nerves.

Also, generally speaking we should only perfomr what we know cold. But if you know that you can do the next trick in your sleep, then your nerves will reduce significantly.

Witness is a good effect for this as it is relatively simple, so there is not a lot to worry about, yet it is not exactly a self working effect, so you are still doing some work. A good way to "cut your teeth" so to speak in a nervous situation.

You do something you know wont fail, but still gets you to do some work, so you get comfortable with it.

Again, this is assuming you have Witness down cold ;)

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
LOL, I basically said the same thing as Dana for half of my post, just was writing mine while his was being posted so I didn't notice. Woops.

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hey Felix.

As far as effect selection, I would suggest that you only perform effects that you are very comfortable with. Confidence in your ability to get away with the sleights involved will go a long way to improving your performance, particularly if you expect to be nervous while performing. Steer clear of moves that are new to you or particularly complicated for the evening. Your audience doesn't know how difficult those things are to do, so you'll only be making it harder on yourself.

For example, you could walk up to a table and hand a sealed envelope to someone giving them instructions to guard it and make sure no one (including yourself) opens or tampers with it in any way. Specifically ask them if they are willing to do this. If they verbally agree, they're more likely to follow your instructions.

From there, move to someone else in the table and force them a card using a method that you are comfortable with (determine which method this will be before the performance and practice it until you can do it without even thinking). The rest is build up. Don't just open the envelope. Ask them if it would be impressive if you could have predicted their actions in advance. Give them a moment to voice their opinions. Then, ask your envelope holder to open it and reveal its contents to everyone.

This is an old plot in magic and it plays very well, but the nice thing about it is that you are only required to get away with one thing. Just bring an extra deck and a stack of envelopes to reset between tables.

Also, don't expect to find a magic way to beat your nerves completely. You'll still feel them (everyone does when they start performing for people), but if you want a psychological tip that will help relax you I would suggest to smile. Smiling does two very important things, it communicates confidence and acceptance to your audience (even when you aren't feeling it inside) and it produces an autonomic response in your body that should help relax you.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Cheers Dana!

I have gotten Distortion and Witness down, so i am doing them. Also, i don't think i will do CONTROL, just because i have done it at school and people have guessed what i am doing. I am going to do WHATCH OUT on the David Stone DVD's, STIGMATA and perhaps BULLET. Thanks for all your help!

Felix

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
I also have to add that i ahve just gotten permission to get two 1 on 1's. I am choosing Chris Kenners newist one and invisible reverse, which will lead me into an Ace Routine. Also Chris, may i have permission to use your patter for the Sloppy Shuffle effect, because this made me laught out loud, and when you are performin gfor drunk people, it is even more funny!

Felix

For nervousness I'd say practice your patter. I can do tricks to anyone all day long, but with patter it creates a sea of nervousness to overcome. Talking to others is hard (just did an oral report today, stuttered a bit :D) so you need to exercise it. Try doing tricks to unfamiliar people a bit to get used to it.

If you're nervous about the slieghts and physical execution of the tricks, like others said do tricks you're familiar and comfortable with. If you can do something amazing with your eyes closed do it (providing it fits in with your routine).

As for tricks you should do heres some for table hopping.
If they have an empty water bottle, do bullet (I don't own this trick so if you need a gimmicked bottle then that may conflict). Also if the tables are glass do Breach (again I don't no if the gimmick will conflict).(Sorry if these recommendations won't work due to the possible gimmicks lol.

~PaCo

For nervousness I would recommend starting your routines with a trick that is self working or almost self working and is very easy to pull off (like Dream Queen which only costs $3 or $4). This will get you started with very little or no risk, let you focus on your patter and your spectators and should but your nerves at ease. I always find once I have my spectators interested and I have the first trick successfully out of the way everything else goes much more smoothly, the tone has been set in other words.

Alternatively, as others have said, starting with a trick that you can do in your sleep is another way to go. Ideally all of the trick we preform we should be able to do in our sleep but that never seems to be the case in the real world.

Also be prepared to change things up if the situation dictates. Do not be afraid to drop a trick if the lighting/angles/mode/etc. is not right. Good luck. :)

deff do some david stone stuff. my friend was on vacation and went to a resturant to see if he would be able to get a job or w/e and he did like 3 tricks of stones and he got a gig. it was a one time thing and he got payed like 200$ wow!

Feb 25, 2008
Yes. Lots of gimmiced stuff. You CANT go wrong with those. Also, let CONTROL be the last. That WILL freak everyone out.
Good Luck !

Cant go wrong with gimmicks eh?
...Okay bud.

Back to the topic post:
Honestly, im surprised no one has said it yet, so I will be the bad guy here...
Drop the gig. Your not ready. Its that simple. Start getting your routine down NOW, and find another gig in a few months.
Just my two cents.

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Cant go wrong with gimmicks eh?
...Okay bud.

Back to the topic post:
Honestly, im surprised no one has said it yet, so I will be the bad guy here...
Drop the gig. Your not ready. Its that simple. Start getting your routine down NOW, and find another gig in a few months.
Just my two cents.

I am ready. I was just a little nervous, but i am fine thanks to all the advice i have gotten. Thank you so much everyone! And as for Hazerman, well, everyone has to be the bad guy at some point. And i should of added this at the begining, but it is for a friends leaving party and i am doing it compleatly volentarily. If i get some tips, its a bonus. I was just hoping for some experiance. Thank you everyone who has contributed. I will let you know how it goes!

Felix

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results