Impervious

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Impervious Review: I posted this on the cafe' but as this forum is lacking in the reviews department at this time ive posted it here

Impervious:

Impervious is Christopher Williams coin in bottle effect Ocular Perception, along with an additional handling by Jeremy Hanrahan named Untouchable. In addition to these there is a bonus handling by Christopher Williams and Gary Jones, though this is yet to have a name.

Format- DVD

Price- $34.95 (approx £20)

Available- Availabe from most big dealers

The DVD:

Before I get onto the actual effects/handlings, I thought I'd give my opinion on the DVD itself. The DVD has a running time of approx 43 minutes, with both Christopher Williams and Jeremy Hanrahan going over there respective handlings.
The actual picture quality is both excellent and mediocre, with split screening used during explanations. On the left of the screen is a close-up view and this is of great quality, while on the right is a more zoomed out view, which is not of the best quality but this doesn't hamper the learning process at all, or the enjoyment of viewing this.
Sound quality is excellent, a nice tidy front end menu which couldn't be easier to navigate and multiple views (split screen mentioned earlier) means, though not always of the best picture quality, is still excellent quality overall.
Oh, and I really liked the teaching style, it's like your sitting there with them as there walking you through.

Right, onto the effects/handlings

Ocular Perception:

Ok, this is Christopher Williams coin in bottle effect, and the main reason for this project. Leading up to the release of this there were claims of no angle issues, no gimmicks, impromptu and highly visual... well it was all true.
While watching the explanation I couldn't help but smile (I found myself doing this during all three explanations), this is such a clean and direct handling that is soooo practical and workable, and has been extremely well routined.
I really love the moment of penetration, it's a really nice visual moment and in the specs mind, they are witnessing a coin melting into a full bottle (without label). Add in everything else that makes up this effect and, with them all working together, you have the most visual, fairest, direct and clean coin in bottle ever... well along with the other handlings.

The Good-

Impromptu
Nothing extra needed
Highly visual penetration
Angle proof handling
Easy
Very clean display

The Bad-

If I had to try and find something negative and was being really picky-

Coin can't be bigger than the mouth of the bottle
Coin can't be signed
Not real magic

Extras-

Christopher Williams goes over a way to make it seem like the bottle is factory sealed.

Difficulty-

This has to be one of the easiest penetration effects to learn and perform there is, it really is, anyone could learn this.

Additional thoughts by me-

I have to say that the display of the bottle is very well thought out and it really works well. Everyone also gets a really good view of the bottle as the label is removed, making whats about to happen even more convincing and magical.

Overall-

Not including the other handlings on Impervious, this is in my opinion THE best coin in bottle ever. The only other effect in a similar style that even comes close is Prohibition, but in the UK it seems that you don't often come across a situation where it's possible to take advantage of it as the caps are removed before you recieve the drink. In my opinion this is superior for multiple reasons, and is now one of my favourite effects.

PS-

This is also such a fun effect to perform.

Untouchable:

This is Jeremy Hanrahan's handling of Christopher Williams effect, and it has the most open display of a bottle your ever likely to come across. Basically it's the same as Ocular Perception, except the display is different and the bottle is factory sealed.
This one does require a little something extra (though that's remedied in the bonus handling by Christopher Williams and Gary Jones), and a bit of a set-up if you want to have a factory sealed bottle.
You are also taught a way to make the bottle seem like it's factory sealed, so you can still give the impression it is without doing the set-up.

The Good-

The cleanest display ever
Factory sealed bottle
Highly visual penetration

The Bad-

Once again I'm having to come up with negatives that aren't really there, but if I had to come up with a couple-

Takes set-up, especially for the factory sealed bottle (although it's not exactly a long set-up)
Coin can't be bigger than the mouth of the bottle
Coin can't be signed

Extras-

Your taught not only a way to give the impression of a factory sealed bottle, but a way to actually have a factory sealed bottle.

Difficulty-

Just as with Ocular Perception this is a breeze to learn an perform, once again anyone will be able to learn this.

The display of the bottle is unreal, I mean it as no label and yet there's nothing to hide, truly exceptional. Being able to make the bottle factory sealed is a nice extra, especially for special occasions or important events etc.

Overall-

Just as with Ocular Perception, this is outstanding and is up there along side it. I can't say whats best as I will use them both, and they can sit side by side as the best of there kind... well along with whats coming up next... the BONUS handling.

Un-named bonus handling:

The bonus handling by Christopher Williams and Gary Jones is exceptionally good.
As I was watching the effect being performed I was like 'WHOA'!
This has a different feel to Ocular Perception and Untouchable as where they are a slow visual melt into the bottle, in this the coin gets slammed through the side. Once again the label is removed, and the display of the bottle is the cleanest display your ever likely to come across, and not only that, but they've come up with a way to accomplish the display of Untouchable but without the use of anything extra at all. Truly unbelievable.

The Good-

Impromptu
No gimmicks
No label
Exceptionally clean display
No angle problems
Highly visual, just in a different way
easy

The Bad-

Ok, I really can't come up with anything truly bad, only what was said on Ocular Perception, but that's only if I'm trying to come up with something as I don't see the things as negatives.

Extras-

A way to do the cleanest display ever with nothing extra needed, and impromptu.

Difficulty-

Again, this is extremely easy to learn and anyone could pick this up.

The moment of penetration is so convincing as they have a full view of the bottle without label, and it just pops through the side and sinks down.

Overall-

This, along with Ocular Perception and Untouchable, are in my opinion the greatest bottle penetration effects there are. They all sit side by side as the best and I'll be using them all.

Complete overall:

Impervious is an exceptionally good product, the effects are highly visual, practical, real world working miracles that anyone can learn. The teaching is excellent, and everyone involved in this project have done a wonderful job and I thank you for doing this project and releasing this.
Ive always wanted a decent, highly visual CIB that is made for real world conditions, and these are it.
I couldn't be happier with this and think that all those that are looking for a CIB that can be performed out in the trenches will appreciate the thinking behind, and the work that's gone into these.

Excellent, highly recommended.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
If you want the bottle factory sealed then use your own, but the others could very easily be done with a borrowed bottle.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
It's available from precisionmagic, they are the one's who released it but it can also be gotten from places such as mjmmagic and hocus-pocus etc.

I would get it from precision though, but thats just me.

It really is a great CIB and I consider it to be the best at this time.

Jeremy Hanrahan

Craftsman, <a href="http://www.theory11.com/gear/h
Sep 1, 2007
Simcoe Ontario Canada
Thanks for reviewing this John, I am glad you like it. The dvd is almost sold out everywhere. I am truley humbled that the magic community has embraced this dvd with somewhat open arms. The reviews are for the most part positive as we wanted to put out a good dvd with an effect that everyone could do. Let me know Dark Angel if you have difficulties in getting my dvd, I will be sure you get one.

Regards,
Jeremy Hanrahan

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for reviewing this John, I am glad you like it. The dvd is almost sold out everywhere. I am truley humbled that the magic community has embraced this dvd with somewhat open arms. The reviews are for the most part positive as we wanted to put out a good dvd with an effect that everyone could do. Let me know Dark Angel if you have difficulties in getting my dvd, I will be sure you get one.

Regards,
Jeremy Hanrahan

At the moment, the only this that is disuading me from buying it is the price.
If it was maybe 5-10 dollars cheaper, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it, but because of the high price, I'll have to put it lower down on my list of things to purchase.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results