Impromptu Fire Breath

Apr 1, 2012
Hey guys,I just want to know if anyone could tell me what is the name of the trick or product that cyril use to breath fire in this video around 0:35 .After he breath fire once,he drank some water and then breath some more.There's also one time in an episode of Room 401 where Rico cough fire after eat wasabi.So,I will gladly if anyone could tell me what is the name of the trick or product? It couldn't be Dragon Breath could it? Please help.Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR3ffA-1rVw

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Hey guys,I just want to know if anyone could tell me what is the name of the trick or product that cyril use to breath fire in this video around 0:35 .After he breath fire once,he drank some water and then breath some more.There's also one time in an episode of Room 401 where Rico cough fire after eat wasabi.So,I will gladly if anyone could tell me what is the name of the trick or product? It couldn't be Dragon Breath could it? Please help.Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR3ffA-1rVw

Hm. I have an idea of how it could be done, but there's no way I'm giving that information out here. It isn't Dragon Breath, I'll tell you that much.

Note: Breathing fire (with any method) is wicked dangerous. It will pretty much guarantee that toxic substances enter your blood stream, and there's a high likelihood of getting chemical pneumonia or facial/internal burns. You should only do it if you've been instructed by a reputable teacher and even then you should do it on a limited basis.

(For those who are questioning my qualifications - I'm a semi-professional fire performer as well as a magician)

Jul 13, 2009
Looks like a custom gimmick, however with that said I will not say how he does this. Not because of exposure, but because anything with fire is very very dangerous. I will say though, this is based off a bar gag when smoking was still allowed in bars.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Looks like a custom gimmick, however with that said I will not say how he does this. Not because of exposure, but because anything with fire is very very dangerous. I will say though, this is based off a bar gag when smoking was still allowed in bars.

Ok. . . you've got me there. Then again, I'm an old Carney and only know of the one way to do this sort of thing. . . it's not pleasant (especially if you're the one kissing the fire blower afterwards.... yuck!)

I will state that there are technically, two versions of the older form; gives a whole new perspective with it comes to asking if someone is a spitter or swallower. . .

Jul 13, 2009
I will state that there are technically, two versions of the older form; gives a whole new perspective with it comes to asking if someone is a spitter or swallower. . .

Why choose between the two? Context comrade, depends on what is in the mouth and if it would be rude to spit. :p

Serious note though I think there is a bladder of sorts filled with something that he takes a bit of something into his mouth and uses a steady stream of air to project the jet of something through the air to the candle. My bet is that the something is less liquid...well is liquid when pressurized hint hint. I theorize that it relies on the same principle I use to make a "Jet" Flame appear at the tip of my cigarette which I can keep lit for approximately ten seconds. But, we'll never know for sure, I won't try it. Got to much fuzz on the face to light on fire haha!

Dec 29, 2011
Fire breathing can be done much more safely using flour I believe, look it up. In the past, I have always done it with kerosene, aside from swallowing a small amount once, which was not pleasant, its also really bad to just hold in your mouth, gave me really bad gingivitis and sensitive teeth.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Any starch can be used, "Dragons Breath" as sold by many a magic shop wasn't the conventional lycopodium powder but rather cheap coffee creamer in many cases. . . I even used that approach for flame columns in my stage shows a few time in that is if safer than common pyro methods (only burns with totally surrounded by air). Kerosine is just plain dumb. . . as is gasoline; most pros use Diesel fuel in that it only ignites when surrounded by air and as such, you can control where, (how far from your lips) the ignition point is. . . and in that the cat is out of the bag (something Keo and I were dancing around) there is a far older technique that's potentially toxic and can lead to all sorts of medical complications if you are wise when using it. I won't be explicit but the method can be found with relative ease should one do some actual homework on fire easting and Human Volcano methods.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS
All fire related stunts are dangerous no matter how innocent you might want to think them to be. Two primary events in the U.S. have seriously curtailed our ability to do a lot of pyro in our shows; 9/11 being one, from which added controls have been set into place that prevent us from having access to certain chemical types. Night Club Fires are the other issue and something as fast as a slip of flash paper going off can land you in jail facing some serious charges.

Replicating this stunt in the U.S. could prove a serious problem, especially given how sue happy people in this culture tend to be. On top of this, you can technically speaking, face "man slaughter" charges should the sudden spout of flame cause someone to have a heart attack or fall back and get seriously injured.

It's simply not as simple and innocent as it once was and far more precautions must be followed and permissions (permits) obtained. My personal suggestion being that you take the time to actually learn about pyrotechnics and get certified. . . besides, it can give you a second income flow once you've proven yourself.

Jun 4, 2012
Performing with fire has many known risks and is very dangerous. I think it is a must, having an actively trained safety assistant spotting for you with an appropriate fire blanket and fire extinguisher. You never know when things will go wrong, especially in a magic act. Be safe.

Vince,
www.wadelive.com

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
When we did the Cremation (in particular) I not only had guys at the ready in the wings stage left & right, we had an extinguishing system built into the prop when and where possible so as to protect the girl inside the thing. I was always nervous about bits I did that used lots of flame and did all I could to insure safety.

Jul 13, 2009
Sylvester the jester has a cool method for an impromptu fireball from a lit match but he doesn't sell it.

He is the one who has that really convincing, branding rod, prop right? I don't remember what it was called but remember it was a sort of strange character that manufactured them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results