Improving Performance..

Jul 17, 2015
Im debating on which book i should get first in regards to improving performance wise..
Im leaning towards MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT by Ken Webber.

Thoughts?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It depends on how you want to improve.

Maximum Entertainment is extremely practical and extremely good advice. For me, it a lot of it confirmed what I've learned over many years. My sense is that it is directed more toward parlor and stage performances than close up. It is subtitled "Directors Notes for Magicians and Mentalists" and that is very accurate. I've done "director's notes for several friends' performances and the advice is similar. He even has a list of expressions NOT to use.

My question to you is what do you think is lacking in your performance?

My offer is to review your a video of your performance (one effect or a whole show) and give comments. You can post the video in a thread or just send it to me in a PM.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Though in more general terms -

It's important to study theory and put that into practice. I often find that books on theory just confirm what I've already been taught by other performers, though I do enjoy reading it anyway.

It's very important to have a few people who will not just constantly tell you that you did great. That will not help you. You need to find people you trust who will be honest about what worked and what didn't, and what their impressions were. Often times you will find that what you are trying to do is not coming through to the audience. People who are experienced can help you find those miscommunications and fix them.

For me I have a few friends who I trust. I periodically ask them for their opinion, usually over drinks to take the sting out, and then I consider what they say and fix as necessary.

Another point of thought: When someone gives you critical feedback, you don't have to listen to their exact words, but you should look where they are pointing things out to see if something is out of whack.

Reactions: ArielB.
Aug 15, 2017
Im debating on which book i should get first in regards to improving performance wise..
Im leaning towards MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT by Ken Webber.

Thoughts?
Complete Idiot's Guide to Street Magic (Tom Ogden)
Street Magic (Paul Zenon)
Tricks of the Mind (Derren Brown)

Reactions: ArielB.
Jul 17, 2015
It depends on how you want to improve.

Maximum Entertainment is extremely practical and extremely good advice. For me, it a lot of it confirmed what I've learned over many years. My sense is that it is directed more toward parlor and stage performances than close up. It is subtitled "Directors Notes for Magicians and Mentalists" and that is very accurate. I've done "director's notes for several friends' performances and the advice is similar. He even has a list of expressions NOT to use.

My question to you is what do you think is lacking in your performance?

My offer is to review your a video of your performance (one effect or a whole show) and give comments. You can post the video in a thread or just send it to me in a PM.
I appreciate the offer sir! Im going to try and get a friend of mine to record my next none-corporate gig and send it your way when i get a chance!

The book that I'm purchasing.. is the FIVE POINTS by Juan Tamariz and Maximum Entertainment by Ken Webber also The Approach by Jamie Grant.

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results