Improving T11

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
He means having a section in the forums to discuss video....discussions :)

Oh, ok, I get ya. Like the Penguin Theatre over at Penguin? I think that's a great idea. I thought he just meant a place to post videos... nevermind my first post, then.

Sep 2, 2007
I sure hope so. But again, I don't think any more new, better tricks is going to help anything. But The Wire... whatever it is, I sure hope I can count on it.

Yes, everybody, Harapan IS my real name, and not some randomly generated forum nickname. In fact, I ALWAYS sign off with my name. (Full Name: Harapan Santoso Ong)

Trying to think of ways to help Theory11 move closer towards a goal of advancing magic. My negative posts, albeit harsh, are just there to try to let people reflect on some things I feel Theory11's not doing correctly. My opinion.

I'm not leaving... at least not yet.

Thank you sir.

- harapan. magic!

P.S. Just to say something: In my personal opinion, if you think I am being negative about Theory11, giving nothing constructive, just bashing T11, you should realise that by being here, I am already one of the more positive people who's at least trying to do something around here. Many of my forummates and friends from other places, be it Decknique, Singapore Magic Circle, or non-forum friends don't even WANT to be here. I disagreed with their negativity, and that's why I am here. I am not saying I am the "beacon of holy light to guide everyone here", but just to say I am already one of the more positive ones who actually encourages others to come over to T11 to try contribute something.

Proof: Go to Decknique and search for some Theory11 related posts. Most likely, you can see one of my posts there, encouraging people that Theory11 is worth trying and not worth abandoning.

You know how many amazing card magicians and cardists we lost because of Theory11? It's quite saddening.

What exactly do you mean by "losing" cardists and magicians? Surely you're not suggesting that magicians are quitting because of the arrival of T11? And if you're just saying that they left your forums and came here... so what? That's their choice.

And you keep saying that newer and better tricks won't help further magic. Sorry, but that's a little absurd. I can't imagine such things actually hurting magic, and I know that in the past, learning newer and better tricks has, in fact, improved my own magic drastically. How is it possible that newer, better material is not taking our art further? It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, what I meant was, that we should have a forum titled Video Production, where basically you can post problems you've been having with your camcorder, video editor, what computers you think are best for editing. Basically anything like that.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
What exactly do you mean by "losing" cardists and magicians? Surely you're not suggesting that magicians are quitting because of the arrival of T11? And if you're just saying that they left your forums and came here... so what? That's their choice.

And you keep saying that newer and better tricks won't help further magic. Sorry, but that's a little absurd. I can't imagine such things actually hurting magic, and I know that in the past, learning newer and better tricks has, in fact, improved my own magic drastically. How is it possible that newer, better material is not taking our art further? It just doesn't make sense.
Amen :D

Hey guys lets post all the things that we want so t11 can improve and have EVERYTHING we need :p

Aug 31, 2007

Of course, I don't think anyone will quit because of T11. And you misunderstood me. I am saying we lost these people because they aren't here. While T11 is supposed to be a site about "unity" and all, I think we need the really, really good people over here, which I believe they aren't.

For example: Decknique, all right? Richard (a man I fully respect) chose to merge Decknique with T11. And what happens? How many decknique-rs have we lost? Some really good people I know who used to contribute very constructively over at Decknique aren't even here. TheVirts are here, but all they have done is to take part (and win) a T11 contest and answer questions on the forums.

All I am hoping is to see those friends I have, those amazingly skilled and talented people I have met over at other forums to come over to T11 and be really actively contributing here. And even outside of my own friends - I am also hoping professional magicians around the world can come to T11 to contribute, besides the T11 team itself.

T11 is always saying they're uniting the magic community. Really? I don't see that, sorry.

Newer, better tricks... sure, they won't hurt magic, but please evaluate exactly how much is it going to "advance the art of magic", as T11 wishes to do so. Plus, "newer"? Distortion is based on an old gimmick, Digital Dissolve happens to be a rip-off, The Trilogy and Witness have both been released before...

I still stand that while newer, better tricks won't hurt the magic scene, it won't help much either. What we need is a more abstract, vague change of attitude... adapting magic to the new generation. You release a new trick on a DVD now, tomorrow it's on some website that can be downloaded for free. Is that how T11 wishes to advance magic? Produce a line of new, amazing tricks by professionals, only to be butchered by the black sheep of our generation?

I respect the artists. That's why I would rather have their material remain less known to the outside world. Of course, they have to earn their money to create magic another day... then T11 should just advertise as a magic dealer, and not "a site that unifies the magic community and advances the art".

Because from what T11 is doing right now, I don't see how they're reaching that goal.

- harapan. magic!

Firstly, finally an explanation. This is more useful than those vague posts.. cause you know, not all of us are mentalists so we need more than that to know what you are thinking. :p

T11 is always saying they're uniting the magic community. Really? I don't see that, sorry.

I actually agree with this one as I do see tons of negativity afloat in the forums. We magicians are supposed to stick with each other thick and thin, uplifting the downtrodden and supporting those that need it. That said, I think we should have a place to help develop new effects. Kinda like a brainstorming area?

I respect the artists. That's why I would rather have their material remain less known to the outside world. Of course, they have to earn their money to create magic another day... then T11 should just advertise as a magic dealer, and not "a site that unifies the magic community and advances the art".

Because from what T11 is doing right now, I don't see how they're reaching that goal.

- harapan. magic!

I agree with this too, as it is called Theory11: Underground Magic Epicenter..
but I really don't know how to improve this. Over here we have a magic shop hidden in a cinema theater (cool huh?) and that is how we maintain the secrecy.. unless we can like get this site incognito.. :rolleyes: (considers hiding this site under some kids magic site :p )

Anyways, yeah I would like to see a trick/effect brainstorm/development area.. where people can help discuss on how to make new gimmicks, effects, tricks, this of course will be closed of to members (if the membership thing gets implemented)..

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I actually agree with this one as I do see tons of negativity afloat in the forums. We magicians are supposed to stick with each other thick and thin, uplifting the downtrodden and supporting those that need it. That said, I think we should have a place to help develop new effects. Kinda like a brainstorming area?

I really loved this idea.. I hope t11 create this section

Sep 2, 2007
I've got an idea. When we post videos that don't get accepted, how about shooting us a pm that drops a few hints as to why, so we can improve and maybe get your next attempt featured?

Aug 31, 2007
Forum Suggestions

God a few things I've been getting sick of, and solutions for it.

An Off-Topic Section: Obvious Reasons, for off topic posts like this. It should maybe have a sticky thread for suggestions, like these

Show Your Stuff Section: We've had so many posts "I've made a new trickz!! one!" or A video performance of a certain trick. Because people don't want to put their video just on the video section, they want attention and feedback, and not all videos get in the media section, because it has high expectations, and also, they don't want to put all the videos they make there.

Other suggestions: Combine the "Product Questions" and "Product Reviews" Section into one "Product Discussions" Section.

Same with "Coin Magic" And "Card Magic", combine them into "Close-Up". I don't think it's right to make two random sections of two random sections of magic.

God a few things I've been getting sick of, and solutions for it.

An Off-Topic Section: Obvious Reasons, for off topic posts like this. It should maybe have a sticky thread for suggestions, like these

Show Your Stuff Section: We've had so many posts "I've made a new trickz!! one!" or A video performance of a certain trick. Because people don't want to put their video just on the video section, they want attention and feedback, and not all videos get in the media section, because it has high expectations, and also, they don't want to put all the videos they make there.

Other suggestions: Combine the "Product Questions" and "Product Reviews" Section into one "Product Discussions" Section.

Same with "Coin Magic" And "Card Magic", combine them into "Close-Up". I don't think it's right to make two random sections of two random sections of magic.
I like the idea of an Off-Topic section, maybe even a film/editing section. But your idea about a media forum sort of defeats the entire purpose of the media section on the site. As for the product discussions, I like the way it is now, it becomes less cluttered and easier to find what you are looking for.

Mitchell

Aug 31, 2007
I like the idea of an Off-Topic section, maybe even a film/editing section. But your idea about a media forum sort of defeats the entire purpose of the media section on the site. As for the product discussions, I like the way it is now, it becomes less cluttered and easier to find what you are looking for.

Mitchell

I see, but maybe a sort of inventions section, because there are so many threads that talk about new ideas, and I really think that people would want a media forum, even in the Decknique forums, there was a media forum, and this is the same media system as decknique.

I'm pretty comfortable with the forums as it is right now.

The only thing I would suggest to you guys is to please, for the love of God, stop posting Katie Eagleson threads!

I mean she's cool and all, but seriously guys. You have the ability to do the impossible in front of huge crowds of people and you think it's nothing but when a girl decides to do magic it's like the most amazing thing you've ever seen.

It gets kinda annoying to me seeing this forums getting filled up with all these threads about Katie. It's as bad of a problem as Criss Angel threads on magic sites! Haha, wow.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
I'm pretty comfortable with the forums as it is right now.

The only thing I would suggest to you guys is to please, for the love of God, stop posting Katie Eagleson threads!

I mean she's cool and all, but seriously guys. You have the ability to do the impossible in front of huge crowds of people and you think it's nothing but when a girl decides to do magic it's like the most amazing thing you've ever seen.

It gets kinda annoying to me seeing this forums getting filled up with all these threads about Katie. It's as bad of a problem as Criss Angel threads on magic sites! Haha, wow.

OK I agree with you about enough about Katie... But comparing me to Criss Angel??? Ouch. That Hurts.

Katie Egleston.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results