Instinct by Matthew Mello | Co-Creator of Bullet

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Title: Instinct by Matthew Mello
Effect: Russian Roulette
Format: DVD
Available: Most online magic shops.

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/instinct-by-matthew-mello-p-5233.html

Matthew Mello is the Co-Creator of Bullet. One of the bigger yet smaller effects of the year. You thought Bullet was clever, this is very clever and genius. I have used the old Russian Roulette where you had to manipulate or handle the cups in some way. But this is completely hands off giving it a fairness. It is completely gimmickless, impromptu, and practical! Also safe, as long as the magician does what he/she needs to do.

The DVD is professionally done. Nice quality. The DVD has 3 selections "Play All" "Explanations" and "Performances". The teaching was really straight to the point, gave the disclaimer and went on with the what and how to make the prop which is the base and nail which he makes easily in front of you. You did not have to get an A in 3rd grade arts and crafts to be able to make this. All you have should be lying around your house. There are no magnets or funny things you do with it. This is completely UN-GIMMICKED, you do not even have to use the base and nail. The base and nail does add a lot of suspense on the spectator's side. Like if you see in the store someone on the escalator about to miss a step and fall down and it almost happens, peoples initial reactions are going to be, “Oh my god!" You can really expect that type of reaction with a lot more "umph" given that you are adding more suspense to the roulette effect. Just knowing I have a impromptu miracle on my hands whenever I'm at a party or outing keeps me truly satisfied.

Remember, the makeshift base and nail is a prop. It is not even needed. You can use anything you'd like, an egg, dollar bills, pudding. All which can be borrowed. This is completely safe and surefire as long as the performer does what he/she needs to do on the magicians part. Anything can go wrong. You can have a person hold a flag which points down at the cup and says, “The nail is under here " and something can still go wrong. So perform this under extreme care. The method is completely safe so that you can really get to work on your presentation once you get past the know how.

Audience management plays a small part in this effect. You need only a few words to the spectator and the trick can be done in success. Remember this is done at the performer's full responsibility, your doing this at your own will. Master this and be safe with this. It is easy and simple.

BONUS: Matthew Mello includes a bonus effect that is another impromptu miracle. Impulse genius. Matthew gives you the method which is ingenious and I already created something myself with the method that includes 3 bills and 3 spectators and you can tell which bill they have.

I'm giving this my highest recommendation yet. It is practical, looks impossible, completely fair, and something I will actually use in the real world. Very much worth any large amount when it is useable.

This guy is gold. I'm looking forward for any other material he releases in the future.

Aug 31, 2007
if bullet was any indication of this guy's imagination, then this trick won't be any good.

I love people's ignorance. It's very comical to read. Do you own Bullet? Have you performed it?

Also, how can you judge one effect by another? I'm a full-time mentalist. I don't do "magic"...Bullet was a random idea I worked on with Nick Verna. I will probably NEVER release a "magic" effect again. If you don't like mentalism...then that is one thing...but coming up with a great method for an old effect still shows imagination. If you bought Instinct...you would know this.

I also find it comical that the people who talk about other people having no imagination...usually have none themselves.

Matthew Mello

Sep 9, 2007
I love people's ignorance. It's very comical to read. Do you own Bullet? Have you performed it?

Also, how can you judge one effect by another? I'm a full-time mentalist. I don't do "magic"...Bullet was a random idea I worked on with Nick Verna. I will probably NEVER release a "magic" effect again. If you don't like mentalism...then that is one thing...but coming up with a great method for an old effect still shows imagination. If you bought Instinct...you would know this.

I also find it comical that the people who talk about other people having no imagination...usually have none themselves.

Matthew Mello

That shot was meant more for Bullet the product than yourself. Personally, i just wasn't that impressed with bullet. Without revealing the method, i can only say the first thing i thought when watching it was "THAT is the method?".

And I do like mentalism, so I might check it out after some reviews to make sure i don't get the same feeling I did after watching bullet.

Aug 31, 2007
Ok. I like simplicity. Which is the main reason I went to mentalism. You rarely find really complicated methods. If you like mentalism...and you like simplicity...then I am sure you will enjoy Instinct. You can read other reviews on the cafe. Later.

Matthew Mello

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
That shot was meant more for Bullet the product than yourself. Personally, i just wasn't that impressed with bullet. Without revealing the method, i can only say the first thing i thought when watching it was "THAT is the method?".

And I do like mentalism, so I might check it out after some reviews to make sure i don't get the same feeling I did after watching bullet.
Yep, in the Latest and Greatest section on the cafe there is a lot of praise for it from people who purchased.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Here's my review that was the first one posted... it's from themagiccafe:

Instinct by Matthew Mello

I was sent an advanced copy of Instinct to look over by Matthew and let me tell you something, this is a killer piece of material.

When I learned of the workings I was blown away by the sheer ingenuity and downright cleverness of it all.

What is Instinct you say?

Instinct is Matthew's way of tackling the Russian Roulette/Smash and Stab style of routine, and the result is nothing less than brilliant.

What makes Instinct so good you ask... read on to find out.

Before moving on, for those who don't know what a russian roulette style routine is, I will give you a basic description of what one would generally entail.

Three or four cups are arranged in a line, a nail/spike is hidden under one of them with the others containing nothing.
The cups are mixed up leaving the performer no clue as to where the nail is... the performer then proceeds to slam his/her hand down one at a time on individual cups until only one remains... the one with the nail under.

Now there are various pieces available for this plot, but none that I have found to be good enough for what I wanted to accomplish.
I don't want to have to carry around gimmicks or have restrictions put on the mixing, and I don't want specially made pieces that cost in the hundreds and that look out of the ordinary.
I actually never thought that I would come across one that suited my needs and gave me the freedom to really perform... that was until I was introduced to Instinct.

Instinct can be done anywhere and anytime, there is nothing more needed than four cups and a dangerous implement... or anything else that will fit under the cups... that's right, eggs, bills, sweets, coins, fruit, sponge balls, and anything else that comes to mind. As long as it fits under the cups it's all fair game.
No gimmicks, no peeking, no set-up, no limits on the mixiing... no joke.
That's right... a russian roulette style routine that is always ready, that can use completely borrowed items and that you never have to touch... read that again, that you NEVER have to touch.

ps- No stooges are involved of any kind instant or otherwise.
ALSO AT NO TIME DOES THE PERFORMER MARK THE CUPS OR THE ITEM HIDDEN UNDER

There is something else I have not told you that I think is a BIG plus... this has a principle which makes it 100% safe.

This is the Smash and Stab ive been waiting for, there is nothing for the specs to see, nothing out of place, nothing to set-up, nothing to carry around (unless you want to), no gimmicks, no stooges, no verbal directions, no peeks, no angle restrictions... everything is natural, you use borrowed items and it's completely hands off.

You can't get more fair and open... and impossible.

If you could really do this then Instinct is exactly what it'd look like.
I consider this to be on a whole different level to all that's come before, it's taken the plot to another level and has given us the means to perform one of the most tense, scary, and exciting pieces ever... Fantastic.

None of the above is hype, none of it is exagerated and none of it is false.

There have been quite a few amazing pieces of material this year thus far... this is up there among the very best and is, for me, one of the greatest effects ever.

Pros-

Erm, did you read all the above...

Anytime, anywhere
The performer alters nothing, NEVER does the performer mark anything
Completely hands off
Anything that will fit under the cups can be used
No magnets
No electronics
No peeks
No stooges of any kind
Absolutely no forcing of any kind
No set-up
100% safe if done properly

Cons-

Im hungry and have... oh you mean about Instinct... I see, well... nope nothing

Difficulty

The workings are not difficult, but it's always best to be 100% sure your comfortable with it before performing an effect such as this.

My complete overall opinion:

Matthew Mello has created what is, without a shadow of a doubt, the next step in these dangerous monte style effects.
He is obviously a very creative an talented performer, and has offered to the magic community a true gem from his repetoire.

Seriously, to me, no matter what anyone says, this is the only smash and stab for me... period.

Now I wasn't too impressed with Bullet, it was good, but nothing more... but you shouldn't judge this effect by how you feel about that, this is an entirely different style of effect, and from speaking with Mello, I can assure you that his real love is mentalism... and this is where he excells.

D

Deleted member 2755

I will soon buy this. Thank you for posting about this amazing effect. I cannot wait.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
ugh. i hate when reviews have no cons. every trick has some cons, even the best. no trick is perfect. I started a thread about this before called "the downside of reviews..." http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=2248

now, if the cons will reveal the trick, at least say that explaining the cons will lead to exposure. that's fair.

The con is that method hunters, such as yourself, will be disappointed there is a simple method to making this work and look like real magic. Sucks doesn't it? No, there is no perfect trick but Blindside and y2john happened to like the creative genius they saw in Matt's effect and reviewed it as such.

--Jim

Sep 1, 2007
UK
The con is that method hunters, such as yourself, will be disappointed there is a simple method to making this work and look like real magic. Sucks doesn't it? No, there is no perfect trick but Blindside and y2john happened to like the creative genius they saw in Matt's effect and reviewed it as such.

--Jim

Exactly... well said

And as far as stating no cons... well I don't consider there to be any aspects that i'd consider a con, I believe that this is hands down the most practical and workable russian roulette style effect... period.

Sep 9, 2007

--Jim

lol. I'm not a method hunter. I just don't want to buy something if there's a big pifall. I didn't say that you had to tell me the con, just that there is one. and i quote:

now, if the cons will reveal the trick, at least say that explaining the cons will lead to exposure. that's fair.

Look at it this way: When you're buying a car do you choose it based on colour alone, or do you look at other things like gas mileage, room/space within, performance requirements, etc.

Because if you're looking for a red car, there's millions of them, from SUVs to 3-door hatchbacks to Mercedes'. You have to find one that suits your needs and that you think is useful to you.

Even if I said it was a class leader in every category, without knowing the category that information is not completely useful

So excuse me if i prefer to invest my money wisely. I was unaware making an informed purchase was a crime.

not to mention I read tons of good reviews for Bullet, none of which prepared me for the WTF?! factor i felt when i saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
As Dan White points out in one of T11 videos, there's as much deception going on with the selling of a magic trick as the trick itself.

This is just a way of life. Nobody on earth is completely honest.

Instinct came in the mail today and I just got around to watching it. It is a very, very good effect. The most practical Russian Roulette routine to date, and not to mention the fact that everything can be borrowed, unmarked and gimmickless (yes, the nail base is just that - a nail on a base. It is not gimmicked in any way, shape or form, it isn't part of the method and you don't even need to use it - any item that will fit under a cup will do).

The Truth-Lie routine that's taught (Impulse) is also a fantastic piece of impromptu magic that I will be performing the next time someone asks me to show them something. It's even more impromptu that Instinct because of the fact that it only needs 2 borrowed dollar bills that you truly have not done anything to.

The only downside I can think of is that if you like simple methods, you're screwed with Instinct. It is incredibly simple, and when you hear it you're going to smack yourself and say "Why didn't I think of that myself?", but if that's a con for you, then stay away from Instinct.

Matthew, if you're reading this, know that you've gained a fan. I'm a big fan of what I've seen from you so far (I love both Bullet and Instinct/Impulse, if you can't tell by now :p), and am eagerly awaiting what you have to share with us next.

Ryan

Aug 31, 2007
Instinct came in the mail today and I just got around to watching it. It is a very, very good effect. The most practical Russian Roulette routine to date, and not to mention the fact that everything can be borrowed, unmarked and gimmickless (yes, the nail base is just that - a nail on a base. It is not gimmicked in any way, shape or form, it isn't part of the method and you don't even need to use it - any item that will fit under a cup will do).

The Truth-Lie routine that's taught (Impulse) is also a fantastic piece of impromptu magic that I will be performing the next time someone asks me to show them something. It's even more impromptu that Instinct because of the fact that it only needs 2 borrowed dollar bills that you truly have not done anything to.

The only downside I can think of is that if you like simple methods, you're screwed with Instinct. It is incredibly simple, and when you hear it you're going to smack yourself and say "Why didn't I think of that myself?", but if that's a con for you, then stay away from Instinct.

Matthew, if you're reading this, know that you've gained a fan. I'm a big fan of what I've seen from you so far (I love both Bullet and Instinct/Impulse, if you can't tell by now :p), and am eagerly awaiting what you have to share with us next.

Ryan

Glad you enjoyed them. Hopefully you'll get as much use out of them as I have.

And since you showed interest....the next DVD I'll be releasing will be called ©2006. It will acctually be a close-up mentalism SET. Not just random incoherent effects...but effects that work well together and are meant to be performed together. It will be an opener, the body, and a closer that I performed throughout the year of 2006...hence the name. It will be the first in my © Series. I will probably only release 2006, 2007....and 2008 once I've used it for awhile longer. So, it will end up being a 3 DVD set.

©2006 will probably be released around February. And the other 2 DVD's will also be released in 2008.

Hopefully, you will enjoy them. They run along the same impromptu thinking. I hate gimmicks and will probably NEVER release an effect which uses one.

Matthew Mello

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results