Is it all camera tricks? Any ideas on these routines?

Apr 13, 2010
Banning CA
Watered down for who? The audience never knows.

It's not watered down for anyone, the magic is just watered down. Which audience are you referring to the ones surrounding him or the ones watching him over their tvs. I would submit that the audience that are watching from home aren't all that many if people really have no idea this guy exists...it's like David Blaine no one really actually knows who he is unless they've seen his show(which aren't that many) or seen him do magic on the streets. And plus the stooges know and they are the audience.

Sep 24, 2007
When you perform magic on TV, the audience present during filming is NOT the audience you're appealing to. If you had the chance to use stooges, why wouldn't you?
Stooges are just like any other tool in magic- and the only magicians that argue against them are those that don't know how to use them.

May 31, 2008
I think all of that could've been accomplished without the aid of camera editing. However I think there were some stooges involved to give the illusion of being completely angel-friendly, and maybe there was a camera cut or two to cover up the occasional flash. Overall, I can't blame him, I don't think he's done anything wrong. I admit to using the poor quality of my video camera to my advantage when recording street magic video. I think that this guy is a very talented magician sleight-wise, and seems to be a pretty good entertainer as well.

Apr 13, 2010
Banning CA
When you perform magic on TV, the audience present during filming is NOT the audience you're appealing to. If you had the chance to use stooges, why wouldn't you?
Stooges are just like any other tool in magic- and the only magicians that argue against them are those that don't know how to use them.

I would never use stooges on or off television because I care about my magic performance and my audience. I'm secure enough to not need stooges and when I'm not secure I don't cheat I practice till I am. I have a few tricks that I know I can pull off without having a problem and that's all the security I need. No stooges no camera tricks

Sep 24, 2007
If you really cared about your audience, you would do your best to give them the best illusion that you possibly can- if that means using stooges, then do it.

I think it's a classic line, and sort of cliche now too, but "We only have one chance to affect our spectator, why would we let something as petty as pride (the main reason why people refuse to use stooges) stand in the way?"

And how is using stooges cheating? Is using gimmicks cheating too? HOw about sleight of hand? That's cheating as well right? It's not real magic? Well then you must be cheating!

If you're doing something other than a small close up trick, you realize that you ARE going to need stooges. Copperfield uses them- does that make him a worse magician?

Apr 13, 2010
Banning CA
Stooges know what you're doing by seeing what you're doing but are there just to make it look like they can't...that's a cheat. Sleight of hand or gimmicks no one knows what you're doing which is a far cry from stooges. Pride has nothing to do with it if you have skill and ability and security in knowing that what you are doing is magic and the audience is amazed because what they saw is unexplainable to them. Not half of them know and half of them don't...when someone sees what you're doing it defeats the purpose of the fact that they aren't suppose to see what you're doing. It turns from magic, entertainment, and wonder to just a trick.

"The secret impresses no one, but the effect you use it in impresses everyone." -The Prestige

Sep 24, 2007
I love that prestige quote, but I think it's more in favour of my argument than yours.

Imagine you're walking along the street and you see a street magician
In scenario 1, he asks a random person to pick a card, and then he reveals it inside his shoe. Amazing.

In scenario 2, he asks 3 different people to THINK of 3 different cards, and reveals 1 card in his shoe- amazingly, not only have al the spectators thought of the same card, but it is also the card in his shoe.

Now the effect in the second scenario is more impressive BY FAR, yet the method is just to have 3 stooges. Yet you as the bystander watching the show don't realize that- which do you think would affect you more strongly, the first or the second? Which do you think is the better EFFECT?

With stooges you can do magic that no sleight of hand can ever do- and I'm not saying that stooges are always a better approach than sleight of hand, but in some situations, they absolutely are, and we as magicians would be fool to reject that option.

Mar 1, 2010
Hong Kong
There's no camera tricks at all. I know exactly how he's doing it, and he flashed the vanishing envelope. However I also know what I'm looking for too so I may be at an advantage.

I'm not going to expose his method, that would be wrong. But I will say there's a reason for why he's wearing that jacket, and it's not for style.

Watch it again.

This guy is VERY good. I'll give him props on skill. This is a very nice street routine.

This guy, Lu Chen, is a winner of a world-wide magic competition. I don't know which competition though.

He's actually good. In Asia, cyril maybe the most famous one, and he maybe the second.

Apr 13, 2010
Banning CA
I love that prestige quote, but I think it's more in favour of my argument than yours.

Imagine you're walking along the street and you see a street magician
In scenario 1, he asks a random person to pick a card, and then he reveals it inside his shoe. Amazing.

In scenario 2, he asks 3 different people to THINK of 3 different cards, and reveals 1 card in his shoe- amazingly, not only have al the spectators thought of the same card, but it is also the card in his shoe.

Now the effect in the second scenario is more impressive BY FAR, yet the method is just to have 3 stooges. Yet you as the bystander watching the show don't realize that- which do you think would affect you more strongly, the first or the second? Which do you think is the better EFFECT?

With stooges you can do magic that no sleight of hand can ever do- and I'm not saying that stooges are always a better approach than sleight of hand, but in some situations, they absolutely are, and we as magicians would be fool to reject that option.

The only way the quote would be in your favor if you haven't given the secret away period and that means no stooges. The more perfect and amazing something looks the less perfect and amazing it can be. Example: Have three stooges and reveal the card from your shoe but do the same thing with three spectators that were watching and aren't your stooges and the whole thing changes because they aren't your stooges. I would submit if you can pull the same thing with three non stooges as you can with three stooges you wouldn't need stooges to begin with...if you can't then the stooges weren't really worth it.

Sep 24, 2007
Why? If there was an effect that allowed you to fly a hundred feet into the air for a crowd of a thousand people and then shoot fireballs, but required 20 stooges, would you go for it?

Of course you should! I mean, you've just changed the lives of 9980 people? I mean, imagining such an effect exists, it would be the greatest thing ever. You're sacrificing your audiences happiness for a petty little personal thing

Apr 13, 2010
Banning CA
I'm glad you said that Chicken...hmmm maybe I'm a personal kind of magician and that's probably why I'm resisting so hard. Alright here's the deal I'm not much of a stooge person as you have found out, but I was thinking about the personal kind of magic out there. If you want to agree with this...I would like to see a CTW from you from beginning to end; you can have as many stooges or as little but I do know this calls for at least one. The CTW is a personal kind of magic nothing huge with huge crowds unless you want it to be but it can be just you and the spec.

Chicken you're a good sparring partner...I like that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results