It's about time...

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Hello all,
I just stumbled back onto these forums for the first time in almost a year. I started doing silly magic tricks when I was 7, and now I'm in college, going to UC Santa Barbara, eleven years later. I got really interested in the performing aspect in relation to the learn as many tricks as possible aspect of magic in the last two years of high school, but then I stopped performing senior year (except one show hah!) because I was sick of being known as the magic guy... I didn't want magic to define me, and for the first semester of college I didn't even have a deck of cards. I met a million new people and none of them knew I had a hidden talent, and I loved it! It was a change that I needed to make. I did, though, come back after winter break with a deck of cards. I brought them out one time and surprised some people, because to be honest, after almost a year and a half of barely performing magic, I missed it!

I missed you guys! I haven't been to these forums in probably a year, and even though I wasn't a big poster or anything, I had always followed the E forums when I still went there, and then here, and I missed it! I miss the atmosphere and the magic in the air! haha corny much? Well, after a long time, I am back and I'm excited to get my magical hands loosened up!

Has anyone else been defined by something that wasn't who you were? I also have a twin sister, and I was sick of being defined by her... too bad she followed me to UCSB! ;)

nice to be back,
Kevin

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Welcome back. The forums (or rather, its member) have taken a major change...

And as for "being defined" by magic - why is that a bad thing? It's great to have the God-given talent of entertainment, if you truly do have it. Not a whole lot of people have what it takes to be a good performer - and more and more kids each day jump on the bandwagon, without having those skills, thinking they'll make it. It kills me, to be honest.

If you have the talent of entertainment, don't be afraid to use it...
Or maybe I totally missed what you meant by "i was tired of magic defining me". Who knows.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Thanks guys!
To Benjamind: I was in high school, and I felt like a lot of people that I was friends with I wasn't really friends with... they were more people that liked me because of magic, and I was kind of tired of being recognized. I guess I'm somewhat of an introvert. Or I just like to remain mysterious- I don't know.

I agree with you about those crazy kids... I'll admit, I was one of them, 6 years ago haha but at least I didn't try to sell variations of purchased tricks for $ on websites their parents pay for haha! I am tired of people performing when they really aren't ready. I mean, I know that everybody is guilty of impatience, but I think the true reward comes from having a trick go perfectly (or as close to perfectly as possible) after practicing it alone enough to master it.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Thanks guys!
To Benjamind: I was in high school, and I felt like a lot of people that I was friends with I wasn't really friends with... they were more people that liked me because of magic, and I was kind of tired of being recognized. I guess I'm somewhat of an introvert. Or I just like to remain mysterious- I don't know.

I now dub thee with the title 'Underground Magician'. You may wear only black, use only black cards and sell tricks for outrageous prices.

Haha, just kidding man, welcome back to the forums. Hope you have a good stay.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results