"It's just not that convincing.."

Jan 9, 2012
Recently, on a snowboarding trip, my girlfriend and I took a break in the lodge at the summit of the mountain. Being in the mood to perform some cool impromptu magic, I performed the effect where the quarter penetrates the sugar packet (as taught on Ellusionist's 'Street Magic' DVD). It completely stumped her, as the trick had with others that I've performed it on. It's a great effect, given that it can be done on the spot with borrowed sugar packets and coins (with the sugar packets being readily available at the condiment bar).

I then went on to perform Daniel Garcia's 'Void,' which is a routine in which a drinking straw penetrates a dollar bill in three phases. This is something that I've put a great deal of practice into. I went on two perform only the first two phases of the routine. With the conclusion of this, I asked her what she thought.

Without much hesitation, she said proceeded to tell me how it was done. She explained that there was "no way that a straw could break through the dollar", "it's just not that convincing," and she then revealed part of the method to me.

I was definitely disappointed, as I'm sure anybody would have been. I knew that I didn't flash anything or botch anything..the mechanics went smoothly.

This really made me question the nature of certain effects. In her eyes, the answer was clear, whereas in the case of the sugar packet, she was stumped.

This leads me to ask this question: Are some effects just not convincing, no matter how smoothly you may perform them? I don't want anybody to think that I'm bashing 'Void' or any of Daniel Garcia's work; I'm a huge fan of his and perform a handful of his other effects that are nothing short of phenomenal!

When assessing what happened, I can see how she may not be convinced by the effect, given the nature of it.

Any input?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Yes, some effects won't fool some people. People know different things, have different educations and perceive things differently. Even if you're amazing at reading people, some people will naturally find some tricks less or more impressive than others. It's all about understanding your audience's needs, which is where style and for professional magicians, clientele comes in to it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Different people will be fooled by different tricks, for sure. But I wonder, what was your presentation? I know I fall into the trap of putting less into a presentation for friends, because it sometimes feels silly to try and genuinely fool them. But if we are only sports casting they have nothing to do but think about methods. Maybe she wasn't fooled because you just didn't present it well.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
I agree with Christopher, many times with effects such as Void it comes down to how well you can present. All it takes to hide the method is the proper scripting.

Dec 29, 2011
Sometimes, there is just only one possible solution to the method of a trick, and for one reason or another the spectator will find it. It just happens.

Jan 9, 2012
I feel as if I had gone into the effect almost with a feeling that the method would be kind of obvious. And I think for that reason I may have not presented it as convincingly as I could have. But I feel as if it wouldn't have made much of a difference in this particular case.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I feel as if I had gone into the effect almost with a feeling that the method would be kind of obvious. And I think for that reason I may have not presented it as convincingly as I could have. But I feel as if it wouldn't have made much of a difference in this particular case.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

Unfortunately, you'll never know because you can't do this trick again with her without her having a preconceived idea of how it's done.

However, I can say I've been fooled by tricks I knew when they were presented well and in a unique manner.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Sometimes, there is just only one possible solution to the method of a trick, and for one reason or another the spectator will find it. It just happens.

Yes and no. Look into the "Too Perfect" theory. There are a bunch of articles on it in Genii from August and October 2001 and a discussion of it in Tommy Wonder's Books of Wonder. Also, there is a great discussion about the paths to solutions in Tamariz's The Magic Way.

A good performer can dispel the actual method early on, lead the spectator to another method and then easily dispel that method (because it is not being used).

Our own doubts, as well as our own knowledge of the method, can sometimes influence the spectator's perception of our magic. Have you ever seen someone who closes their eyes when they do a sleight (which often is a subconscious habit from practicing in the mirror -- that way they don't see anything). I suspect that with the sugar trick, you've done it so many times that it is natural. You are used to seeing the effect from the spectator's eyes and you believe in the illusion. With Void, I suspect you haven't performed it that many times and, as a result, you have doubts.

As for scripting, that is part of the problem. If you entire presentation is about what is happening and telling someone to "look" then they will typically react by trying to figure it out and by "looking" for the solution. Don't make it about the props, don't make it a challenge for them to find the solution. Instead, make the effect something you explore together and enjoy together.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I agree with Christopher, many times with effects such as Void it comes down to how well you can present. All it takes to hide the method is the proper scripting.

Scripting is very important but creating "misdirection" is likewise a very important tool. I'm not talking about misdirection in the basic sense but rather the intricacies of using body language and most important, timing -- if you can create a psychological disconnect by spacing certain actions prior to revelation you can add to your sense of advantage. I've watched some of the greats from our past get away with some of the sloppiest work you can imagine simply because of how they used timing, basic misdirection tactics and body language.

With all of this there is that other important element -- ENTRAINMENT VALUE.

The public will forgive a heck of a lot IF YOU ARE ENTERTAINING. . . if you have the style and persona that captures their attention, and even if you have that one stick in the mud within a group, they will have to endure peer pressure if they become an a$$ during your act.

You might want to get involved with a local Improvisation Group so you can improve your performance skills, learning how to roll with the punches but likewise, how to play things big enough so as to conceal the weaknesses of a routine or effect or even your own skill level.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results