Jack of all trades, or a master of one?

May 2, 2010
Hey everyone :)

After spending almost 2 years with mainly just card magic, I've begun to branch out into other areas of close up magic such as coins, spongeballs, and cups and balls, rubberbands and more.

But I'm beginning to wonder, should I be learning all of these new types of magic at the same time?

And are the best close up performers only proficient in a handful of types of close up magic?

Because I'm sure if you focused on just 2 or 3 different types of close up magic rather than lots, you would probably become very skilled at those rather than becoming just "okay" in many different types of magic.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
It's good to specialize in one area, but its still important to be good at the other areas. A great magician should be able to do magic with anything around him, not just cards or coins.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Be proficient in everything. Be a jack of few things. Be a master of as much as possible.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I am in this exact boat right now. I currently do the following:

1.) kids birthday entertainment
2.) adult close up magic at wedding receptions, etc.
3.) balloon sculpting at festivals and such

I get a decent amount of gigs because I can do all of the above but I have often wondered if I dropped 1 and 3 and just specialized in the close up...would I start landing higher paying gigs and better clients or by cutting 1 and 3 am I losing out on money that is possibly there?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
But I'm beginning to wonder, should I be learning all of these new types of magic at the same time?

And are the best close up performers only proficient in a handful of types of magic?

I don't see a problem in learning the various types of magic at the same time. There is a lot the same types of skills in coins, cups and balls and spongeballs. The best performers develop a strong routine and practice it until perfect - it has nothing to do with specialization. Now, if you study the other areas, you will less proficient in each area than if you had only studied one. But will be more well rounded.

I am in this exact boat right now. I currently do the following:

1.) kids birthday entertainment
2.) adult close up magic at wedding receptions, etc.
3.) balloon sculpting at festivals and such

I get a decent amount of gigs because I can do all of the above but I have often wondered if I dropped 1 and 3 and just specialized in the close up...would I start landing higher paying gigs and better clients or by cutting 1 and 3 am I losing out on money that is possibly there?

Don't cut anything, just change the focus of your marketing toward #2. When you've built that up sufficiently, then you can drop #3 and then #2.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Good point David. Until I've built up the reputation as one of the best close up workers in my area...then just keep everything until I need to start shedding some.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results