James Brown - Hide and Seek

Nov 11, 2009
Hey guys this is my review of Hide and Seek. Needless to say this is a must buy. James Brown’s Hide and Seek

I have to first say that I am a huge fan of Mr. Browns. I have been every since his “Still Fancy a Pot of Jam?” DVD. I love magic that is both smart and completely bold. If you’ve ever watched any of his DVDs then you know that those two statements are both very true. James is the kind of magician that still fools me even when I know what’s coming. His misdirection is second to none, and this DVD showcases his ability to utterly fry people’s minds.

I love the fact that RSVP and James Brown went all out on this one, not only do you get a live performance of each effect, but usually you get two and on some effects you get another “in studio” performance.

After saying all of the above you would think that the routines on this DVD would be beyond hard. But in reality the idea that James uses of Pat Pages makes most, if not all of these routines workable for most magicians. Not only because it’s an amazing idea, but because James has literally built the misdirection into the routines themselves.

When I first popped this DVD into the player I immediately decided that “Teleport” was going directly into my working set. It’s a great effect where your spectator’s credit card vanishes “into” their cell phone and is found to be in your wallet, and then in the blink of an eye their cell phone that you were holding vanishes into your wallet. I thought that would be about it, but James had only just started.

“Red Heat” was a wonderful version of Chicago Opener that uses a thought of card, I admit, this fooled me. James also teaches a very nice move that will now replace a very common part of most people’s Chicago Opener. Watch the DVD and you will know what I mean.

“The Ultimate Book Test” Not only floored me, but it’s such a clean version of this effect. I’ll be honest, I’m not a big fan of this effect normally, but to be able to use any book at any time has me re thinking my aversion to this kind of effect.

While there are more effects on this DVD, one of my favorites would be “Thought of Card Transpo” So visual and so powerful. It’s also going to find a place into my working close up set.

So in closing you get 7 routines with some ideas at the end. The ideas at the end were wonderful and really show that the idea this DVD was based around has not reached its full potential. There are so many ways you can use this. This will replace some of the utility devices I’ve bought in the past. And will definitely be used in my close up material from now on.

Do yourself a huge favor and get this. Will it require some practice?? Yes! But the payoff is so huge, that it shouldn’t be an issue to any magician that is striving to make his or her magic better.

Pick it up here at Browns personal site

http://professional-opportunist.com/hide-and-seek-dvd/

Or from RSVP

http://www.rsvpmagic.com/

On a side note. While a lot of the routines use a wallet (large Kaps style) James shows different handlings without a wallet.

Also I got this DVD with the ATW wallet from RSVP and it works perfectly with the routines on this DVD.

Aug 3, 2013
Singapore
Completely agree what what you said. His method are so bold and deceptive. I don't think he has ever released a bad DVD.

Jun 22, 2013
New York
does the DVD contain learning tips along with the entertainment as well .. as it would be a lot more helpful to the people who are just beginning with the magic skills.

Aug 3, 2013
Singapore
does the DVD contain learning tips along with the entertainment as well .. as it would be a lot more helpful to the people who are just beginning with the magic skills.

This DVD teaches you a concept and shows you routines that utilizes it. As of most of James Brown's work, it does rely on misdirection and timing. Definitely NOT a beginner DVD.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results