Just getting started

May 15, 2011
I am proud to say that I am just getting started in the magic business. Mainly because I found it a good way to pass time, another reason is because I am hoping to get as much money from it this summer (even if it's $10, I'll be happy).

I don't really know technical names, but I have learned a few card tricks from a couple sites. My main trick is where I show one card, and then double it's numerical value. I also do a few other simple tricks.

I was just wondering, what are some things I need to know about this business, and what other tricks would be good for a beginner like myself?

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
First of all, I would like to welcome you to the forums! Hopefully you will find us to be extremely helpful to you and we hope that you could be helpful to us. If you haven't already, check out the forum rules HERE just so you can know the basic do's and dont's. :)

Well I'm gonna assume you haven't really been doing magic for too long so I wouldn't suggest going out and trying to get a job just yet. I do recommend that you check out Jason England's "What To Read" download. He tells you about TONS of books that a beginner in card magic should get. Plus, it's FREE. :)

Browse the site. Check out some of the cool things that theory11 has to offer. (There's a lot :))

Mar 27, 2011
Hey,

Even I have just started magic like you and the recently posted a thread on a similar topic.Everyone told me that the best place to start is to get a good book where you can learn the basics.The two good books that I found are Card College vol.1 and Royal Road to Card Magic.You can find them on amazon and they are both extremely good books.I am getting Card College because I heard it is a bit easier to learn from.However you should probably ask someone who has both the books because I have just ordered the book and still haven't received it.

Hope this helps!
RC Magic

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Please Clarify Something. . . by "getting started in the magic biz" does this mean you are new to magic altogether or you are simply taking the next step? If it is the latter, how familiar are you with the basics such as Slight of Hand (that huge stumbling block most try to get around)? How much have you studied Improvisational and Bar Magic type materials (there are videos on these specialties)?

As if all this weren't sufficient to weigh, we need to look at your age and personality type. If you aren't a confident self-motivated smooth-talker that's comfortable with schmoozing total strangers and getting them to laugh at themselves WITH you and the audience, you WILL fail. . . at least that's the case if you are busking. The other side of this issue is however, age. I know that dozens are going to argue otherwise, but age really does matter when it comes to how you are perceived by the public and thus, what they will allow you to get away with; if you are in your mid teens you won't be as forgiven for certain kinds of bits & patter as you would if you were in your mid 20's and so on. This issue works in the opposite direction too, a man my age (early 50's) can't get away with the sexual innuendos as easy as someone in their 20s & 30's without coming off as a dirty old man. . . while that can be played in a comical manner, there remain limits and a point in which one crosses the line when it comes to good taste and cooth.

Contrary to most, I would not suggest investing too much time into learning Card Tricks. This is a personal pet-peeve in that far too many magicians seem to think there is nothing else in this big industry but playing cards and worse, they refuse to realized just how boorish card tricks can get if that's all you do. Secondly, if you are working out of doors there's this thing called wind that can make working with cards, post cards, photos, etc. a royal pain. So grab a copy of Bobo and learn all you can about coin work as well as routines such as the cups & balls, chop cup, pea & shell as well as "parlor"/small stage material like the Linking Rings (the comedy 3 Ring Routine of Whit Hayden fame will slay a busking audience, it's down-right nuts and one of the best gags you'll find); Rope Magic is a good path to take as well. If you want to go "bigger" there are some very simple "Illusionette" type bits available that can give you that all so sought after Plays Big/Packs Small advantage. . . as in most of these things can fit in a gym bag small, but it will require some looking around and imagination. . . and a seamstress.

With the (safe) assumption that you are pure novice, I'd have to say your best bet is to not dream about making any spare cash for a while, there's far too much for you to learn as part of your first year or two of actual study & practice and that's before you move into the elements of actual showmanship & theater.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
(EDITED OUT FOR REPLY TO EXPOSURE SITES)

I don't know why you have to be like that. The dude is just asking for some advice in what to get started in.

Anyway, I want to say hello! My name is Blake. And it really depends on what you want to get into. Check around Theory11 and see what kind of magic you like. After that, you can shoot me a PM and I could help you out from there.

-blake.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
The best way to learn magic, by far, is to search a bunch of youtube videos, as well as head over to learnmagictricks.org. You will become a top magician within hours.

I'd slap you very hard for such thinking. It's unethical to begin with (but, unfortunately true on far too many levels) but to suggest such a thing is all that much more irresponsible.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Don't go with the classics. Old magicians just want to give you a hard time.

No, we just respect the craft and expect the young know-it-alls to do the same. Too, those of us that have already been bloodied like the idea of giving young people that are serious about actually LEARNING MAGIC the opportunity to not endure the same ill-consequences they had to endure when they were in their teens & 20's and running their mouths more than their brains.

I've done magic since I was 4 years old (that was 1964) and been performing on one level or another since I was roughly 6, working big illusions since I was 10, so I'm willing to bet the old guy knows a thing or two about what works and what doesn't INCLUDING, why it is important to learn certain things first just so you have a foundation.

I'm certain you weren't born running and jabbering up a storm; you probably had to learn how to craw and then balance yourself on two feet while holding onto things. . . then you learned how to not crap in your pants and other silly foundation skills that allow you to be a semi-functioning humanoid that can somewhat pass within society as being "normal". Learning any craft or skill scenario requires you to go through a similar serious of lessons as well as growing pains -- there are no short cuts! Or maybe I should explain it this way. . . you will only get from it what you put into it. If you half-ass it from the start, lean on packet-tricks all day long or worse, can't graduate from Criss Angle videos. . . you aren't going to make it very far.

So there... you got that "hard time" from an old fart that you were expecting and hopefully, an eye opening lesson in the process.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
No, we just respect the craft and expect the young know-it-alls to do the same. Too, those of us that have already been bloodied like the idea of giving young people that are serious about actually LEARNING MAGIC the opportunity to not endure the same ill-consequences they had to endure when they were in their teens & 20's and running their mouths more than their brains.

I've done magic since I was 4 years old (that was 1964) and been performing on one level or another since I was roughly 6, working big illusions since I was 10, so I'm willing to bet the old guy knows a thing or two about what works and what doesn't INCLUDING, why it is important to learn certain things first just so you have a foundation.

I'm certain you weren't born running and jabbering up a storm; you probably had to learn how to craw and then balance yourself on two feet while holding onto things. . . then you learned how to not crap in your pants and other silly foundation skills that allow you to be a semi-functioning humanoid that can somewhat pass within society as being "normal". Learning any craft or skill scenario requires you to go through a similar serious of lessons as well as growing pains -- there are no short cuts! Or maybe I should explain it this way. . . you will only get from it what you put into it. If you half-ass it from the start, lean on packet-tricks all day long or worse, can't graduate from Criss Angle videos. . . you aren't going to make it very far.

So there... you got that "hard time" from an old fart that you were expecting and hopefully, an eye opening lesson in the process.

YES.

(wordcount)

Aug 31, 2007

True, however there are tons of terrible old magicians. I can't count on my fingers how many awful magicians I've seen who have been doing magic professionally for the majority of their life. Just because they've been doing something for a long time, doesn't mean they do it well. Some do, but not all. Some magicians just don't improve - it isn't a skill everyone has. I saw a show once with multiple magicians in which one of them said it was his 18th annual appearance. It was at a theater with moderately expensive tickets, and he has done the same act every year. After 18 appearances, 18 years of potential improvement, the act was still terrible. I have tons of respect for older magicians, as a lot of them know more than I could possibly fathom - just doesn't apply to everyone.

As far as just starting out, there are several threads on this forum like this that you can search for and browse through on the same situation. Most people will say to go out and perform as much as possible. This is good, but I would also additionally recommend watching as much variety as possible. Din't just focus on one type of magic (street magic, or card tricks), watch stage magic, FISM acts, street magic, close-up routines, big illusions, stand up magicians - try and watch a little of everything. The common mistake is not doing magic badly, but copying a magician or type of magic verbatim. YouTube is great for seeing a good variety of magic - eventually you'll find your niche.

Just my thoughts! The community here is pretty great, you should get some good advice if you need help on anything. Welcome to the forums!

~Zach

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results