Justin Miller on Piracy

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
HAH
i really wanna see the video though. Love crappy exposure videos.
I really dont mind piracy if it is my product. Although I dont have any, I wouldnt mind if magicians are reading my stuff for free. As long as its not Magicdude09... then... im happy with it.

Mar 29, 2008
HAHAHAHAHA, OMG JM does a video on stealing magic effects....this is priceless....am I taking crazy pills? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - this made my day, thanks for the laugh.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
HAHAHAHAHA, OMG JM does a video on stealing magic effects....this is priceless....am I taking crazy pills? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - this made my day, thanks for the laugh.

I thought it was a good idea.
Since it's mostly young kids doing these youtube videos, why not have the creators they look up to post how they feel about revealing?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Its a tough decision and a double edged sword.

The creator can stop releasing effects, keep them to themselves, but then they are missing out on a boat load of revenue from sales.

Piracy is going to be a problem no matter what for awhile. Even if DVD's are encrypted a certain way, then someone else goes and creates the program to decrypt it and burn away. It does make it more difficult though.

For the downloads, I wonder if the better way to do it would be to give access to the video but it does not actually download to the consumer's computer. For your money, you get a password that allows you to get on said magician's website and view the video 24 hrs a day but there is absolutely NO WAY to get it or save the file.
People might be turned off to this but it could be a solution.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Its a tough decision and a double edged sword.

The creator can stop releasing effects, keep them to themselves, but then they are missing out on a boat load of revenue from sales.

Piracy is going to be a problem no matter what for awhile. Even if DVD's are encrypted a certain way, then someone else goes and creates the program to decrypt it and burn away. It does make it more difficult though.

For the downloads, I wonder if the better way to do it would be to give access to the video but it does not actually download to the consumer's computer. For your money, you get a password that allows you to get on said magician's website and view the video 24 hrs a day but there is absolutely NO WAY to get it or save the file.
People might be turned off to this but it could be a solution.

Honestly, if they were dead-set on revealing,
They'd find a way.
A simple video camera to the computer screen to tape it themselves and re-upload it would do the trick.
I know, who would waste their time?
-Losers who have no life and instead of practice would do it with their spare time.

Something needs to give though. We're already started to have artists create effects and not want to market their secrets for this reason. They don't want the method to wind up in the wrong hands.
Think about it. Look how rapidly an awesome impromptu trick like Sinful got out of hand. There were hundreds of videos explaining how to do it on youtube.
Eventually it was revealed on TV by the masked retard.
Sadly, I wish that wasn't released. It was an awesome effect.
I'd rather not know the method and be able to watch it every time than knowing the method now, and not being able to perform it.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I've probaly created about 50 or so effects half of which I'm happy with and I've gotta say becuase their from my head and it's my creativity I kinda feel like I can't put a price on somthing like that a trick is actually priceless when you think about it, well at least good ones. So Im trying To find the words to say but when a trick is just given out on YouTube it's not just a trick to the creator it's a part of them.

I think the main way to stop exposure would be giving newcomers a better sence of community instead of bashing or telling them to use the search button becuase it's newcomers that don't understand ethics and don't see what's wrong with exposure in fact they think it's great because when I first started 5 years ago the first places I started going was to look for exposure such as the masked magician on YouTube I didn't know better back then.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results