Kids show card magic

Dec 6, 2010
Forums, I was wondering if younger kids around the ages of 5-8 can follow card magic and remember there cards and be as astonished as older people when you reveal there card in a certain way. Also what card tricks would you suggest for a young audience if you would suggest any?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
95% of that age range will NOT be able to recognize and or remember cards. Unless they are JUMBO CARDS with pictures or if there are only 3 cards like a MONTE routine. If you are thinking like Triumph, Biddle, etc. No...don't do it for little kids.

That particular age range wants to laugh, have fun, see things appear / disappear, change color, etc.

Stick with the dove pans, rope magic, sponge balls / bunnies, stratosphere, change bag routines, magic tea kettle and such.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I work in a kindergarten from time to time when they need extra help. The oldest kids are 5 and what I do for them are vanishes and color changes. They will know the difference between red and black. The tricks have to be quick though.
I vanish coins, make "dirty coins" shiny(copper silver), make a red card turn into black(red 10 and black 10 to get as much color on there as possible) etc. Rub a dub vanish is pretty good.

They won't have as much fun as with props that are kid friendly, but it does work. I find that the grown ups who work there flips out 10 times more than the kids do though. lol

I wouldn't make a kids show based solely on coin/card vanishes/color changes.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I think around age 6 is when kids start to recognize the different types of cards. For 7 and 8 year olds, they recognize cards, but will not be interested in most card magic.

As Rick said, you can do some routines with cards that have pictures on them -- Rachel Columbini has a great effect with cards that have animals printed on them -- I've used it with Pokemon cards and others have used it with cards with pictures of Disney Princesses and their Princes.

Part of the problem (and I was discussing this with someone just yesterday) is that kids shows are more of a parlor show than a close-up show. That is part of the reason for using Jumbo Decks. Any card trick you perform has to be visible to people sitting in the audience.

The card effects that I use for 5 years old and below include include Mark Wilson's Bigger Card and Rachel Colombini's Animal Capers (trying to use an older child as the assistant). Oh yeah, and there's the trick with my sheepdog puppet picks the card that has his bone on it out of a packet of cards held by the spectator :p

For 6 years old and up, I'll use an Invisible Deck (sometimes Jumbo), Jumbo McCombical Deck, Dan Harlan's Hovercard and a signed card to impossible location. HOWEVER, each of those has been transformed from a simple routine into a scripted performance piece that takes 3 to 4 minutes. The invisible deck routine involves tossing out a beach ball and having the kids name part of the card - and yes, I've been doing that before Matthieu Bich did it on Fool Us :). The Hovercard involves a three minute story before the final levitation and the card to impossible location is done with one of the children acting as a magician to music. Just like everything else in magic (kids or otherwise) the secret is 10%, technical skill is 20% and presentation is 70%.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I will cast a vote for Mark Wilson's "Bigger Card" if your kid audience is 6 or under. I use it occasionally still as well and they "understand" what has happened. It gets a few laughs from the adults too.

David made a valid point as he has a ton of children's magic experience. Most of the older kids in that age range (7-8)will recognize cards, but not necessarily be interested in card magic unless your presentation is entertaining and they comprehend it.

JGD, do have any ideas of what you were thinking of doing? Perhaps a few of us can help you out.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Where I live not all adults play cards so I really draw the line at the invisible deck at ten years old. When I first started out doing kids partys I had a couple bad experiences with kids that weren't familiar with a deck. For that reason I avoid doing it unless it's for a group of teenagers or a family function.

My favorite close up card trick to do for kids is Jay Sankey's "Tracking Device". The biggest rule of thumb is to make things visual for the kids.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results