Left, Right, or Both Hands?

Oct 8, 2007
Hey guys, I'm just going to ask if you guys are comfortable or are able to perform with both hands. This is not just for flourishing but for magic as well.

This is because sometimes I notice an irregularity as to which hand I'm using when doing grips, breaks, cuts, etc. For example, I can do Charliers better and faster with my left hand and I can do coin rolls faster with my right.

I'm right handed but there are times when my left seems more dextruous than my right. I'm just curious to know if you guys can do flourishes or sleights with both hands. Additionally, do you think it's even necessary to be able to do the moves with both hands or do you prefer to stick to just one hand?

I was trying out a few moves with both hands and to be able to do it with both doesn't always come easily. I want to know if shifting hands is ok to do or should I not? There are moves that I can do well with only my left or right so if I need or if you guys think I should shift to using my right hand, I want to know.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Of course there are things that you can do better with left hand if you are right handed, and vice versa, but you shouldnt switch hands, just do things with the hand that feels more comfortable.
And if you practise, you can do same things with both hands...

Feb 28, 2008
I had a similar post in the card section a few days ago about being left handed... There are things I do as a lefty that, I wouldn't say look weird, but may be a bit more exposed than as a right hander...

As far as things I do with my right opposed to left... I pirouette with my right, which kind of sucks. I'd like to be able to hot shot to my left and pirouette, but calices on my finger tips seem to make it a little difficult.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
To me,
natural way to hold deck in left hand is the dealers grip, and to hold deck in right hand is the end grip. Because of that, it's natural to do Charlier better with left hand. I believe it's pointless to learn card moves with both hands, with exeption, of course, in palming. I'm right handed.
I do two-handed fans (thumb and pressure) by holding the deck in left hand, always. I do two handed fans with both hands, although my left hand needs more work on that.

I use both, but I always seem to be on the wrong side of things. Whether I'm watching a magic DVD or learning from a book, I'm constantly using the wrong hand. Takes extra practice to execute, but doesn't make much of a difference.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm weird.

With my right hand:
I deal better (regular and bottoms... I'm hopeless with seconds)
I spread (from right to left) more comfortably
I LePaul Spread
I cull best

With my left hand:

I hold breaks better
I execute passes and side steals and most controls better
I fan

So when I'm practicing a trick, I have to work out when I use each hand...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results