Looking for tips on showing my magic

Dec 3, 2008
I have been a magician for more then year now, my interest sparked up again when i saw Wayne Houchin perform and later on some of Daniel Madison's work. Some of the books i read about magic usually involve goofy stories and magic hats which honestly, kills magic for me. I am trying to enroll in the magic castles society in hopes of gaining access to their libraries with more extensive sleight of hand techniques. I am still unable to find a good resource for showmanship skills, i don't want to mimic anyone's style, i would like tips on how to develop my own way of showing magic. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I believe Steerpike has a manuscript coming out soon on this subject (I only vaguely remember reading about it).

Ken Weber's book Maximum Entertainment, Juan Tamariz's book Five Points of Magic, and Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic will all help you in this regard also.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
I have been hearing a lot about a book called Strong Magic by Dartin Ortiz, you should definally check it ouy. Also, this forum and many others (especially Penguin Magic Essay forum) has many worthwile topics to read upon presentation.

Many tips there. Good luck.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
if u want ur own style, the first thing u need to think about is that ur not doing trick. ur not doing a set routine of slights to do a certain trick. i got to have more that one way to do a certain thing like making the card go to the bottom of the deck. this will help making sure people dont catch on because if u do the same move over and over they will think something is up.

u need you own patter, the card doesn't have to go to the top. i watched a performance where someone put the deck upside-down and say the card falls to the top.
also u got to think what kind of magic u want to do, example i like to do time travel magic (i like physics). so i might say i lost the card but we go back in time and the cards on the top again and let the audience take the top card.

i hope it helps (hope im talking scnse as well)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
this will help making sure people dont catch on because if u do the same move over and over they will think something is up.

IMO, you're wrong here. Doing things different each time, unless it's part of the trick, will just cause suspicion. A layperson doesn't close a spread, shuffle, deal, etc. different ways every time they do said actions. Shoot for consistency, not inconsistency.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
what i mean is if u do the same move for a double lift people will start to catch on. i have had people say i cant see him do it but it must be picking up two cards. for a layman watch u, thinking that u do magic or what ever, y would u turn a card round the same way like a robot, it not natural. when they see u do that move will do stupid stuff like try and take to deck off u. ur not doing a routine, u dont do a set routine of moves. if i need to get a card at the bottom of the deck i got 3 ways to do it so if they call someone to see the same trick they believe in it even more as i didnt just go through the same patter and moves.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
what i mean is if u do the same move for a double lift people will start to catch on. i have had people say i cant see him do it but it must be picking up two cards. for a layman watch u, thinking that u do magic or what ever, y would u turn a card round the same way like a robot, it not natural. when they see u do that move will do stupid stuff like try and take to deck off u. ur not doing a routine, u dont do a set routine of moves. if i need to get a card at the bottom of the deck i got 3 ways to do it so if they call someone to see the same trick they believe in it even more as i didnt just go through the same patter and moves.

I agree with Adjones, you should have one way of doing it perfectly. It arouses less suspicion. And the point you raise here, the simple answer is that your doubles should look exactly like your singles. If you don't turn a double and a single over the same way, you should either change how you turn over a double or change how you turn over a single.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I agree with Adjones, you should have one way of doing it perfectly. It arouses less suspicion. And the point you raise here, the simple answer is that your doubles should look exactly like your singles. If you don't turn a double and a single over the same way, you should either change how you turn over a double or change how you turn over a single.

I was about to say the exact same thing. If your spectators are catching onto your doubles, it's your fault, your doubles aren't good enough.

Sorry, but it's the truth.

-Sam H

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
people dont catch my doubles, just some people can guess the method. before i started magic i used to look at magic vids and figure out how people do certain effect such as when i saw David Blane do the 2 card monte.

i was a spectator at the time i couldnt see how he did it but i guessed. at the time i wasnt sure i was right but i was. i have people saw to me after i do the same trick alot "i cant see how u did it but are you picking up 2 cards?" its a guess and they are wrong a lot of the time and i have not pick up 2 cards, but to them i did and of course i cant tell them anything to change there mind.
when i spectator think they know how i did it and they have no idea, why spent time trying to explain how it isnt 2 cards or what ever they think and just do it an other way and shut them up.

at college when i perform u get the most craziest explanations, but now i can show the same trick over and over and not make it look like a routine when i do the same robotic motions but look more natural as if i was really doing magic the motions i do have nothing to do with the end result. other people like to flourish and make it seem like skill.

i purposely dropped cards to make it seem as i dont have any card handling skill and then when they see my effect they believe it real magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results