Magic as a Career

My apologies Simon. I didn't intend to completely de-rail the topic, I only felt the need to point out something that I saw developing.

So, Is there anyone else here in a relationship and how is that affecting your magic? I know a friend of mine who was married until his wife said "It's either me or the magic." ...He didn't chose her.

Feb 7, 2011
My apologies Simon. I didn't intend to completely de-rail the topic, I only felt the need to point out something that I saw developing.

So, Is there anyone else here in a relationship and how is that affecting your magic? I know a friend of mine who was married until his wife said "It's either me or the magic." ...He didn't chose her.

I was in a very brief relationship over the summer. There was alot of "you spend more time at that table than you do with me". But that wasn't why we broke up, in fact it ended smoothly enough so i dont regret that i gave her these bad boys.

Attachments

• roses1.jpg
    roses1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 82
  • roses 2.jpg
    roses 2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 65
Feb 7, 2011
Are those paper roses? That's actually pretty cute idea, and possibly cheaper than going with a dozen real roses.

Pasteboard roses to be exact. And hey, I hope you're not trying to belittle them, they're manly as hell! Yeah they're alot cheaper and get far better reactions (there's a joke in here somewhere about magicians boiling everything in life down to down to practicality, method, and reaction). Im a firm believer that it's better to make a present rather than buy one.

Hmm, relating to magic as a career. Being that anyone who sets of for the life of a professional magician is more or less destined to live, at least for a while, as a starving artist. What about gifts. Not a big worry i know, but the question is coming. Would you offer your services as a magician to another friend as a gift, as in, perform at their party as a present? It would certainly do if you were broke. Would anyone here do that? Has anyone here done that already? Is it a bit vain?
I myself cringe at the thought of performing for my family or friends.

Belittle? Hell no! I'm considering err "borrowing" the idea for the holidays this year.

As for the gift idea, I've done it a couple times before. I really am not suited for doing birthday parties, but I've done a few for friends because they asked nicely. I really don't charge them much either, usually way cheaper than I would had I not know the person. I honestly think performing for family is the most difficult thing you can do since they know you better than anyone else. All the BS and stories you concoct to justify or explain the situation is lost on them because they know good and well you didn't get that fancy looking box on a trip to the far east a couple years ago, nor was your grandpa Charlie a notorious card shark who taught you everything you know about how to cheat at poker.

No worries Draven, just doing my bit! :)

Reservoir, love the Roses!!! Think a Wire release on how to make them would be appreciated, at least by me!

When it comes to performing for family and relationships and that, my girlfriend has a little girl, and so I made her a balloon rose and a few balloon models when I was around with them. But every now and then, I'll be asked if I can bring some to make for her, which I refuse to do as I am not a performing monkey. I did it at first because I wanted to, I don't want to feel obligated to make her daughter balloons to be able to see her, and she's ok with that. My dad used to make me perform at Christmas and house parties and so forth when I was starting, and it helped a lot with routining and gave me a goal to aim for.

Simon_Magic

Jun 1, 2009
When I'm chillin with my girlfriend and I start playing with my cards, she'll say "put your girlfriends down and talk to your real one!" (jokingly, of course). She is actually really supportive of my magic and does what she can to help. I'll show her new effects, I've even told her how I do some things so she'll be better able to help me. It's nice having someone who is honest on what they saw, but they still have a laymen's perspective on things which helps me understand better what other people are seeing. It's such a huge help.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results