Magic as a Career

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
There is tons of great insight on here! I have a question relating to things being said here.
Benji, you said you charge no less for 1,000$ a gig and won't turn back, I know that Rick does primarily kid's shows, where 1,000$ seems more than not out of the question.
So my question is, what is the best route to take if you are going to take magic as a career, or at least a second job as opposed to "something on the side." Corporate or kid's shows? My first few experiences with kids has not been the best, and I'm really debating if I should continue in kid's magic and plan a birthday party show, or if I should begin to focus on older clients. Obviously since I'm just starting out, I can't charge a whole lot because my act isn't completely fine tuned, but once it is, I doubt I could get away with a ton more simply because that kind of market doesn't really allow for the parents to do a lot of spending, except in certain circumstances. A single mom with 3 kids can't really shell out as much as a business can.
Would doing both be too much to take on? Like if I work at a more family oriented restaurant (like I do now) on the weekends, but then on other days I'm at places where it's people higher up on the financial ladder. It seems like targeting both would lead to generating more gigs potentially, right?

I just don't see kid's shows being super profitable longer down the road, that's my main concern. Plus all the kid's I've had so far have been terribly difficult.

The one thing you need to think about is Quality over Quantity. Also I don't know if it would be possible to focus on both, maybe it can be done but it would probably more than likely burn yourself out quickly. You need to focus on ONE group or target and just let the other one go. If kid shows aren't working for you, then stop doing them and start looking for gigs at higher end places where you'll get bookings for weddings and Companies.

Jacob

I'm going to say the best way to become a pro is to simply get out and start doing it. You need three things, at the BARE basic level. 1) an act that can work for at most one hour, but flexible enough to break down into a 20 minute set, a 45 minute set and finally a 60 minute set. 2) Business cards. 3) An online presence. Websites are great, but if you can't afford that at the LEAST get a good professional facebook and youtube page going. Both of those are free. Then, just do it.

I firmly believe that if you want to get your chops up to speed then you either need to do some street busking, or restaurant work. Both pay good, require you to survive on tips and are a wonderful proving ground for getting yourself out there.

Lastly... NETWORK! make friends with EVERYONE.

time requires I leave this thread alone at the moment, but I'll be watching it from afar. Best of luck to you, and I'll return again later after work to follow up on anything.

There is tons of great insight on here! I have a question relating to things being said here.
Benji, you said you charge no less for 1,000$ a gig and won't turn back, I know that Rick does primarily kid's shows, where 1,000$ seems more than not out of the question.
So my question is, what is the best route to take if you are going to take magic as a career, or at least a second job as opposed to "something on the side." Corporate or kid's shows? My first few experiences with kids has not been the best, and I'm really debating if I should continue in kid's magic and plan a birthday party show, or if I should begin to focus on older clients. Obviously since I'm just starting out, I can't charge a whole lot because my act isn't completely fine tuned, but once it is, I doubt I could get away with a ton more simply because that kind of market doesn't really allow for the parents to do a lot of spending, except in certain circumstances. A single mom with 3 kids can't really shell out as much as a business can.
Would doing both be too much to take on? Like if I work at a more family oriented restaurant (like I do now) on the weekends, but then on other days I'm at places where it's people higher up on the financial ladder. It seems like targeting both would lead to generating more gigs potentially, right?

I just don't see kid's shows being super profitable longer down the road, that's my main concern. Plus all the kid's I've had so far have been terribly difficult.

Jan 29, 2008
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." - Michael Jordan

Simon I'm not saying that you shouldn't be "scared"...I'm saying that if anyone lets fear get in their way then they don't deserve the results (and won't get the results). The only way people change is by getting uncomfortable and doing things that they haven't done before. I can't remember where I read this but it said that the definition of courage is not a "lack of fear" but the ability to move forward "with the fear."

When people get scared and don't take action then they always wonder "what if."

Jan 29, 2008
Jacob,

To make magic as your career you have to work extremely hard. You can't say to yourself, "I know I'm a hard worker"...you have to do it. Sit down at your computer and contact a minimum of 100 people per day (either on phone or email). At first it sucks because you will contact people for a month and probably one of them will say yes.

You have to do things every day to get you to where you want to be (you must know where you're going which is why you should write down goals).

The basics of booking gigs is to be seen by tons of people. Contact people, perform all the time, and eventually people will book you.

Always focus on improving everything about your business. Work on your website little by little. Get videos from every performance, etc etc. You're building your business little by little.

There is no magic formula about performing full time...you just have to work harder than you realize. Here is a video from Lil Wayne talking about hard work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9EAy3Fdn3Q

No such thing as luck? Pish posh. Next thing your going to tell me is that there's no Santa either. Frankly I make my own luck, both good and bad, and the polarity has a direct corolation to what ever my attitude is at the time.

Also Benji, not to pick you apart here but when people get scared then an instinct called Fight or Flight kicks in. Its not that they don't take action, it has more to do with them not thinking clearly and thus making poor decisions on what actions to take.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't know about that, what do you call it when a 7-11 clerk on welfare ends up winning the Lotto? I'd say that's "Luck". Yeah he had to go out and buy the ticket, but so do a ton of other people and he was the one in million that ended up winning it.

Anyways, Luck is when proper planning and preparation join forces.

Jun 1, 2009
William, thank you for the advice! I already work in a restaurant (paid by them, and get tips) but I'm looking for other places to perform currently.
I definitely need to work on my act, I have tons of stuff I plan on using since I bought it specifically for my act. I just need to sit down, look at all of it, and see how I can tie it in together. Then I need to practice practice practice. I have a day off (finally) on Saturday, so that'll be magic day.

Benji, I totally realize it's more than just saying "yeah, I can do this and this and this and this and....." but to get results you have to actually DO IT and get the gears moving.

Jul 16, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I'm very pleased with the amount of information that has been given throughout this thread. Being that I'm only 15, I was merely asking these questions to get a sense of what to expect in this profession in the future. In the mean time, I'll be working on plan B, getting a good education, and excelling at school. My hope is that this thread will help those a little farther along in the journey than I am, but it will undoubtably help me as well.

-Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming

To win the lotto you must buy a ticket (aka take action). Someone who takes action isn't lucky.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Luck is a state of mind and dependent upon one's perception of their own space. Magicians are, or rather should be, masters of altering others perceptions. At the very least challenging them.

If you believe yourself unlucky then naturally all encounters you have throughout the day from the time you get up to the time you go to bed will be perceived to be tainted with bad luck, just as the opposite would be true had you believed yourself to be in possession of good luck.

Many of the results can be (and often are) influenced by the subtle changes of personal attitude with a dash of self confidence added in for good measure. There for if you believe yourself to be lucky, then lucky things will seem to come your way.

To win the lotto you must indeed buy a ticket. Buying a ticket certainly increases your chances to win infinitely more so than someone who doesn't buy a ticket, however between all the millions of people who buy a ticket, only one person will win. Since no amount of skill or talent can play into the decisive factors that determine who gets the winning ticket, by definition the winner is indeed lucky.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
William Draven knows what he's talking about. Stay positive, stay optimistic, but above all stay REALISTIC.

Luck is when hard work and preparation meet opportunity. To increase your luck - keep working and keep working hard.

I've been very fortunate to be a fly on the wall listening to Chris Kenner's many advice to magicians with regards to full time career opportunities. The bulk of it can be summarized quite simply - realize who you are, work at it for years in brutal conditions, and don't expect a handout. Also, you will probably fail unless you are honest with yourself and are very specific about your goals.

Who do you want to be? But more importantly, who are you? If you are the awkward magician who can't hold a conversation unless doing a magic trick then television is not your thing. Looks go a long way in this regard - know who you are. Furthermore, you HAVE to be able to entertain a crowd with absolutely nothing at your disposal. A world class entertainer (regardless of discipline) most likely knows all the comedy clubs in town and has worked them. Looks, height, build, charm, and likeability all play a role in who you were meant to be. Unfortunately, some of these traits are not under our control as much as others - be honest.

What do you want to do? Being a full time magician means absolutely nothing. Be specific. Having your own show in Las Vegas is a different path than the one taken to have a TV show, to be a cruise ship magician, or to be a creator making a living selling magic DVDs. This may be obvious but you'd be surprised how many people have no sense in direction.

Be persistent, determined, and restless. The bigger your goals, the bigger the sacrifice. At the end of the day, it's all a gamble and requires luck. What is luck? Preparation meets opportunity.

If you figure out the big picture, the specifics will be more purposeful. Your technique, your act, and your business will all come a little easier. Plan ahead, don't completely give up education unless you're willing to pay the price for a slim chance of winning. Figure out what you want, prioritize, and keep your chin up - you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Sep 1, 2007
btw....there is no such thing as luck ;)

Wrong.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

There are many ways to have a career in magic, as stated before. What do you want to do? What are you good at? There are two ways I've seen work very well in magic.

The first is business sense, if you're better at business sense, as someone like Benji is - then you focus less time on how "amazing" your act is, the development and theory behind the act etc etc. It takes far too much effort and sacrifice. Instead your act may not be the BEST act EVER, but it's a very good act and one you can sell. And you will sell, because people will hear your name first. Embrace that if you find yourself better at the business side of magic and have a difficult time with the "art" side of magic and SCREW IT. You don't need it, get better at what you're already good at, people will book you, and you will spend your resources advertising yourself, people will know who you are all over the place. These people tend to have lots of clients, and new clients constantly, but fewer regular gigs compared to the other school of thought.

The second way is being good at the "art" side of magic, and awful at the business side of it. This is where you have an act that you've applied every single principle from every single book you've read that you possibly can, and it's the best act it can be. You have just as strong 20 minutes as you do 60. You've been taking theater classes to be an expert in showmanship, story telling and stage presence. Suddenly, in order to progress and practice to stay top of the line, you can't be calling 100+ people a day. This is problem, now you have to find someone to advertise for you. You'll probably have to work a restaurant just for tips, but eventually someone is going to find you. It's a different market for these people, as they tend to have a few clients that book them every year and pay very high prices because they've NEVER seen the things that you do, and probably never will.

This sounds insulting, I know, but believe me - I've never seen a case where this is not true. I've never seen a GREAT magician that can handle business as well as he can handle his effects. Just embrace which one school you belong to, there is no correct way, and the markets don't overlap.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
There is an abundance of great advice being tossed around, however a few things that I have notice that are not being touched upon much that I think are still important:

1 - I would say the majority of people who take something that started out passionately as a hobby, and turn it into a business, lose the passion they once had, as they must start sacrificing various aspects of that hobby to focus on or prioritize things such as pulling in a minimum amount per month, paying taxes, taking on clients, etc... This is not always the case, but it is very common.

2 - Try to ask yourself your motivation for becoming a professional magician, or for wanting to use magic as a sole means for providing money to you and your family. Do you want to try this because you love performing magic so much that you cannot see yourself doing anything else? Do you want to try this because you can't really think of anything else to do? Do you want to try this because right now you are in a magic phase? (5 years can still be a phase). Without the proper reasoning and motivation, this can lead you down a very wrong path.

3 - There are more, but lastly, take what you read on these forums with a grain of salt. Be wary of taking any of these posts (mine included) as absolute. If you are serious about moving forward with trying to set up your road to becoming a full-time professional magician, then start studying for it on your own. The person who knows you best is you, and ultimately, only you can tell us if you are ready.

Make sure you have an open mind, and really look into the people behind the words, not just the words. Do you enjoy magic or do you enjoy the business side behind it?

Let's take two magicians - Benji Bruce vs say... Pop Haydn. Both professional magicians, both make either all or the majority of their money from doing magic. However, it is quite a fair assumption that Benji is more interested in business than he his magic, where as the image that Pop puts out, he is still more passionate about the magic he performs. This might not be completely factual, but it is the image they promote.

I would imagine if there was a unique opportunity to meet with some famous magicians from around the world for a private session somewhere, Benji would not be the type to cancel or decline a corporate gig to go to the session, whereas someone who is still a passionate hobbyest, would. Which are you?

I think that Benji has it right when it comes to making your own luck. Sure certain things are going to be out of your control ie the lottery, but we are talking business here. If you just sat around and thought to yourself "why am I not getting bookings?" compared to the person who is going out and networking, its the networking guy thats gonna get the 'Luck'. For instance Derren Brown only became famous because Andy Nyman turned down the opportunity to work on his acting career. Derren knew Andy and Andy recommended Derren for the job. But if Derren hadn't got out of bed in the morning and gone out that day he met Andy, he'd still be a nobody in magic that wrote a few good books on the subject.

Certain things are out of our control, but you can always trace your 'luck' to a certain point in time when you met someone who knew someone else etc etc.

Simon_Magic

Aye Simon, you're correct, however a LOT of what we perceive as luck has to do with our attitude and how we perceive ourselves in the world.

If you are absolutely convinced that you're not good at what you do, you couldn't hold your own on stage with an established name, you aren't worth getting paid the big bucks, etc then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. However if you are confident and proactive then things just have a way of working out for you. Attitude is the key here.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Well, I have no experience in terms of making money off of magic aside from bar bets and etc. With that being said, I spend quite a bit of time reading about magic and if anyone is interested in being a part-time 'pro', I recommend checking out Gene Anderson's Part-Time pro notes. It has good information going about making professional routines and how to prepare yourself for works and etc. I think it's a good read for 15 dollars.

Feb 7, 2011
Firstly I have to say I'm absolutely delighted to see a thread with some 'nutritional' value. - Edit: (along with the recent 'improving the world' threads)

On the subject of luck and making your own luck, I urge those of you who can to watch this.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-experiments/4od

It may not be available in all countries.

The always incredible british mentalist has just finished a four part series, 4 very moving episodes (notable because there is very little magic or mentalism in them). The 4th of which is all about luck, is it real and can it be harnessed? Is it in the belief system of a person making them more open to opportunity? Amazing watching and i think relevant to the current status of this thread.

Jan 29, 2008
Derren is great. I'm a firm believer in that you create your own opportunities.

The definition of luck is:
Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions

Success doesn't come from chance.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results