Magic as a Human

God damn, not again.

What Sir.Fansalot is trying to say that people tend to be very robotic. They want 100% purity, no cards dropping, everything clean and unhuman. Its not bad when you drop cards, it is human.

People tend to over robotize their routines....

My opinion of it tho...

Mikk.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
God damn, not again.

What Sir.Fansalot is trying to say that people tend to be very robotic. They want 100% purity, no cards dropping, everything clean and unhuman. Its not bad when you drop cards, it is human.

People tend to over robotize their routines....

My opinion of it tho...

Mikk.

Oh...
thats much clearer...
but that doesnt really mesh with his "how are you human?" question. It just leads to the same qnswers
"fluidity, adaptation, naturality, confidence, practice, understanding of what you are doing"
By understanding what we are performing and adapting it to the situation within context of the audience, setting, and trick, we avoid the robotic feel to magic. We avoid the rehearsed script, hard static movements, careful consideration to perform every sleight perfectly. We avoid caring too much about how well we peform from a magicians point of view and just have a good time with the audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh...
thats much clearer...
but that doesnt really mesh with his "how are you human?" question. It just leads to the same qnswers
"fluidity, adaptation, naturality, confidence, practice, understanding of what you are doing"
By understanding what we are performing and adapting it to the situation within context of the audience, setting, and trick, we avoid the robotic feel to magic. We avoid the rehearsed script, hard static movements, careful consideration to perform every sleight perfectly. We avoid caring too much about how well we peform from a magicians point of view and just have a good time with the audience.

PSSSST, he is talking about technique not presentation.....(good points though)

Mikk.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
PSSSST, he is talking about technique not presentation.....(good points though)

Mikk.

Oh...
So robotic technique is... "overkilled" rehearsed moves where the magician only cares about getting every single finger position and timing correct? So... just loosen up..? no idea... im really confused...
but looking forward to what answers will be given...

Jul 14, 2008
I think I understand this post. What this means that we should not let magic define ourselves, but we want people define us as a human being, a normal human being. Correct me if I am wrong.

as magicians, our technique needs to be perfect.
we cant be humanlike and mess up like you are suggesting.
if we were able to make mistakes and be like."oh well im just human" people wont be impressed, if we mess up thoes people will think, oh its not magic, just good with cards (as stated on a previous post)
technique is important and it needs to be flawless. we need to make the motions fluid (not robot like) but it has to be perfect

Sep 3, 2007
as magicians, our technique needs to be perfect.
we cant be humanlike and mess up like you are suggesting.
if we were able to make mistakes and be like."oh well im just human" people wont be impressed, if we mess up thoes people will think, oh its not magic, just good with cards (as stated on a previous post)
technique is important and it needs to be flawless. we need to make the motions fluid (not robot like) but it has to be perfect

There's no possible way that everything can be perfect. And if it was it would be boring. If someone watched you perform twice they would know what was coming next. Even if it was a different effect. Perfect is too predictable.

There's no possible way that everything can be perfect. And if it was it would be boring. If someone watched you perform twice they would know what was coming next. Even if it was a different effect. Perfect is too predictable.

Whats wrong with trying to be the best you can. Magicians should strive to be perfect, it shows the dedication that you have towards your magic and your presentation. I find it a nuisance when magicians perform though not to the best of their ability, they perform shoddy effects and the spectators are never impressed.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
The too perfect theory doesn't apply to technical precision. The too perfect theory is basically what magicians strive for when making magic for magicians (waste of time).

An envelope inside of a locked box inside of a time controlled vault opened by a spectator reveals a card that was signed an hour before. Everyone immediately thinks that the person who signed the card is in on it. Even if they're not, it's too perfect.

Magician in distress is a good break from repeated successes in a performance, or for mentalists having 'blackboard' written down when the selected word was 'chalkboard'...it's close enough and people will remember their minds being read.

Mistakes can enhance a performance, if they're planned, and can ruin them...if you look like a complete failure. Being human isn't the same as being lazy and not wanting to practice. "It isn't perfect, but I don't think people care, they're fooled enough"...a mindset too many people have. Just because you can fool someone doesn't mean you're entertaining them.

Just because you're not perfect doesn't mean your audience thinks you're more like they are, they will probably see you as un-rehearsed, not human.

Just a few thoughts.

Excellent, now i get this fully too.

Magicians strive to be perfect for their technique nothing bad about that. Now if you are claiming to be a miracle worker so be it, but if you are saying that you are doing this using techniques that are made be people or techniques of say the devil then nothing is ever perfect. This although falls into the presentation part of it.

Now, what seems to be the problem is that everyone is talking about 100% perfection and when 1 card falls the whole show is f**ked. We are very keen on keeping everything 100% technique wise but when we fail we think of it as a too big of a thing. I dropped a slip(and it accidentally changed, not going into details) and i let the helping spec take it up, failure can be good. Bon't beat yourself up because you dropped something or missed something, perfection is not achievable since we can't control our brain so well that we could address each muscle with its own command.

Strive towards perfection but making mistakes on the way makes us smarter.

Mikk.

Nov 8, 2009
You are very vague, and seem to attempt to be sophisticated.

is this how you talk to people?

Be clearer, before you defend your point, check to see if you conveyed the right idea........

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results