Magic as an Art: What is Wrong With It?

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
What many older magicians fail to realize is that the young people are truly the future of magic.”

-Chris Kenner

I thought this quote from Chris Kenner, while still being a truly great quote, also fits in with the subject of this essay. First off, I’ve been hearing a lot of magicians lately… younger magicians, mind you, that view magic as a failing art. The question is… why? Is it really dwindling down into a mere past-time? Or is it all in our heads? We’re going to discuss these subjects, some in more depth than others, in this essay, and I predict that it will grow to be quite lengthy… so let’s begin!

Exposure. The one word that sends many new magicians running. The double-edged sword, as it is often referred to as. On the one hand, exposure helps new, or often “poor” magicians get into the art. But, on the other hand, it rips off many creators, and supposedly ruins many magicians’ performances. This may be true in some very rare instances, but I find it hard to believe. Think long and hard… way back to the last time a spectator called you out on an effect, saying, “I saw how to do that on YouTube!” or, “I’m going to go home and look up how to do that online!” Odds are I now have many of you desperately groping for a memory that just isn’t there. To be honest with you, most people have lives other than the internet and figuring out magic tricks (except for a select few… and you know who you are). In other words, the majority of the people don’t even know such things as exposure videos even exist. The few people that do know about them and watch them are, in fact, magicians themselves. We have had our guard up for so long that, like every “organization” there comes a time when a handful of people think they can change things for the better, and take drastic measures to do so. We are, quite literally in fact, destroying ourselves from the inside.

Something else that ties into excessive exposure quite nicely is excessive secrecy. The truth is, we’re too afraid of letting out a few secrets every once in a while to help out the new generation of magicians, that it encourages these new magicians to get out of the art as quickly as possible.

Many older magicians are, like I hinted earlier, guarding an empty safe. Something inside of them doesn’t want them to help new magicians, to teach them a few cool things… to refuse to be mentors. What they fail to realize is that these new magicians whom they are unwilling to help are the future of magic. They are the next David Copperfields, Harry Houdinis, and Lee Ashers! So please, to all you older magicians: help us to be the best we can be! To better ourselves and to better the future of our art!

Magic these days has, although it doesn’t really seem like it, become very mainstream compared to what it used to be like. Nearly every effect you see performed these days can be learned by quite literally anybody with access to the internet… or possibly just a local library. This means not only more exposure, but more magicians. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the majority of those new magicians won’t really care about furthering the art, and won’t care if they don’t practice their effects enough and therefore mess them up. So essentially, by making magic so mainstream and easily accessible, we are brining in more bad magicians and lowering the overall opinion of magic. Remember the good ‘ol days when you had to find a magician that was willing to mentor you and really care to learn the art of magic?

A little comparison that would like to bring up now is the magician vs. the musician. On hand, we have the musician, who practices their music over and over so they can play it for people. When they do play for an audience, the spectators can clearly see how they are doing it. However, as magicians, we strive to do exactly the opposite. We practice, locked up in our rooms for countless hours, so that the audience cannot see how we are doing what we are doing. The audience has no idea how much work we put into our art, and they probably never will. You can’t tell me that that prospect isn’t even a little bit frustrating.

Now take into account the bad artists from each field. When an audience sees a bad magician perform, it forever tarnishes their opinion of magic, and they probably won’t ever want to see a magi perform again. However, if the same exact audience sees a bad musician, although they will probably lose all respect for that particular person (as a musician), their overall opinion of music will not bear a noticeable change. For example:

“You’re sitting at Applebee’s waiting to be served, when all of a sudden an older man in need of a haircut, with dirty fingernails, an old purplish suit, and one of those extremely annoying flashing LED nametags announcing himself as the house magician… Henry. Henry pulls out an old, dirty set of sponge balls, and in the midst of his performance, drops one in your soup. At this point you are truly disgusted, and kindly ask him to leave.”

Now granted, this situation is a little extreme, but perfectly plausible. If this had happened to me while I was a laymen, I probably would lose all respect for magic, and I would not be where I am today. However, if a nicely groomed, well-mannered young man approached my table and performed some very professional-presented magic for me, I would more than likely be impressed with what I saw, and I would be very interested in seeing magic again.

Do you see how one performance can completely ruin the image of magic n the eyes of a spectator? Now, apply the same situation to music. A few friends are walking down the street when they see an aspiring guitarist/singer sitting on a corner. They ask him for a performance, only to find that he completely blows at what he claims he does for a living. The girls pitifully throw a couple of bucks in his tip jar, and quickly walk away.

In the above scenario, do you think that the girls will ever want to listen to music again? Or watch a musician perform again? Of course not, that would be absurd! So why is it just the opposite in magic? Why should one artist be able to have the power to completely ruin magic in the eyes of the public? I don’t really think there is an answer to these questions, but I think one possible solution is that music is more popular… there are more artists in the field of music. Thus, the good out-weigh the bad. However, it is, once again, completely the opposite in magic. There are many more bad artists in our art than good artists… which, although “glorifying” the good, does not end in an overall good view of our art. It shows that the majority of magicians aren’t willing to put enough time into the art they supposedly love to at least perform respectably.

So, now that we’ve established that one bad performance or performer can completely destroy a spectator’s view of magic, let’s delve in why for a little bit. Why that statement is true, why performers don’t care that that statement is true, and many other questions that I hope to answer.

Why can one bad performance ruin a spectator’s view on magic? Although it’s a complex question, I believe it has a simple answer. The truth is, apart from the David Blaine specials and a couple episodes of Criss Angel: Mindfreak, most people will not experience magic in their lifetime. Therefore, they will often remember your performance, which you often cast aside as un-important, for the rest of their lives. Your performance will be what they always base their opinion of magic on. So practice, rehearse (yes, there is a difference)… for the future of magic, make your performances the best they can be!

We’ve all played the devil’s advocate for exposure before, pretending as if it’s helping “poor” magicians and brining new magicians into our art. But is it really? I don’t think it is. Personally, I think that exposure in itself gives magic a horrible image. An image that says we’re too cheap and don’t care about our art enough to respect the creators and pay our dues when dues are due.

And of course, then there is the opinion that exposure is a good thing because it is motivation for creation. I think that this opinion is the dumbest thing I have ever heard regarding exposure. There are many ways to motivate creativity in people, but ruining the material they have already created is definitely not one of them.

Earlier I mentioned the good ol’ days, when to get into magic, you had to seek out somebody already advanced in the art, that was also willing to mentor you. I truly believe that those days were when magic was at its best. Once you found a mentor, he/she would take you under his wing; train you in the art of magic. And you didn’t even think about performing for an actual audience until your mentor told you that you were ready to do so.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
These days, what with magic being a much more mainstream and expose art, it is much easier to into. The idea of a mentor is often laughed at and then disregarded. New magicians usually think they have a natural gift for the art… and while a few do… most don’t… and therefore don’t put in the necessary practice for a new sleight or effect. When they finally give up, and people see this, people get the idea that magic is not an art, but a mere past-time… a hobby… a view that is becoming more and more popular these days.

Think about it. When you walk into a sore, and wind up in the toys and games … what else do you see? Magic? I thought so. I’m not saying that magic is quite popular enough to have its own section of Target (although that would be awesome!), but I don’t thin that it should be put in with the toys and games. Maybe the serious hobbies, such as arts and crafts, modeling, etc… but I don’t believe that our art is something to be messed with and played like a game. In fact… maybe magic shouldn’t even be in the store at all. Nobody actually buys magic from Target or Wal-Mart, except for the cute little kids looking for cool tricks to show their little buddies at recess.

Let’s pretend for a second that you’re a layman. You don’t know anything about the art, expect that you want to start wowing people as soon as you possibly can. Your first thought is the internet, so you run to your computer and type “magic tricks” into Google. The first site that pops up is “Ellusionist”. You enter the site and are immediately sucked in by their cool site design and great advertising. You end up spending more money than you care to tell people. However, when the package arrives and you rip it open, you are greatly disappointed when you realize that you could have spent the same amount of money on books rather than one-effect DVDs and Instant Downloads and received enough magic material to last you the rest of your life.

In my honest opinion, sites like Ellusionist are slowly but surely cheapening and ruining our art. At their head is Brad Christian, whose mediocre at best card handling skills make him think he is the god of all magicians… when in reality he is just a business man looking to take the money of dumb teenagers who think that magic will make them “cool” and “popular”. Although magic may do these things for a successful performer, magic was meant to entertain the audience, not to be used for personal gain.

I mentioned in my last hypothetical situation that for the same price as a bunch of “custom playing cards” and one-effect DVDs, you could get a lifetime’s supply in magic in books. I feel that our art is trying to keep with technology and marketing to younger people by releasing DVDs and Instant Downloads. I also feel that, although a good thing in rare circumstances, these technological advances in the teaching of our art are overall bad things for our art.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Of course, we as magicians are always complaining about kids on YouTube exposing our beloved effects, but they are also the exact crowd we market to by releasing DVDs and Instant Downloads. The younger magicians don’t want to practice, and truly care about our art, sot hey buy the DVDs with one effect, advertised as being “simple”, “sleight-less”, and “able to be mastered in seconds.” Naturally, the teenagers are attracted by this alleged “instant popularity”. My opinion is, although I think DVDs can be great learning resources, that magicians should stay away from them, and learn from books. Although I know this won’t happen, because magic companies are mainly and foremost about money; their main customers being teenagers, they are obviously going to try to market mainly to them. If Ellusionist and Theory11 started selling more books than DVDs and Instant Downloads, I’m absolutely they would be closed within one year.

To be honest, I don’t think very many of the online magic stores are very dedicated to the art. What I mean by this is that they are mostly in it for the money… they are businessmen, and do not care about our art. If they truly cared about the future of this great art, they would still advertise to the new magicians, yet, but they should be marketing the products where true magic is… books. While writing this, another great quote comes to mind:

“If you want to hide an effect from a magician, put it in a book.”
-unknown

If I happened upon an online magic store that sold only books… no DVDs or Instant Downloads, I would have more respect for that company than words could possibly begin to describe. This would tell me that the website is not only marketing to more mature people that are willing to put a lot of time into magic by learning from books, but also that they really, really care about the art, not just money. How would I know this? Books may be where the wealth of information is, but they are certainly not where the wealth is. Very few buy books these days, making them one of the most least-profitable magic resources sold today. So new magicians… buy a lot of books and you’ll be set for life!

It also seems that these days many magicians set the bar too high for themselves and are leaning towards quantity over quality, instead of vice versa… the way it should be. However, I have noticed that this trend is starting to change as magic creators begin to put out higher quality magic, and do so less often. Although more released material means a wider selection for new magicians to choose form, it also means that there is more bad material out there floating around with the good. So you tell me… is more material a good thing?

Now let’s say on an off chance that you have taken mine, and many working professionals’ advice, and spend your hard-earned money on some good, high quality books. Of course, as soon as you got them, you quickly scanned through the pages, found a few tricks that you liked, practiced for 15 minutes, and hit the streets! Of course, you bomb all four performances you attempt. Naturally, you wonder what could have possibly gone wrong. I can tell you, and I wasn’t even there. You didn’t practice nearly as much as you should have! Anybody besides me think it’s time for more quotes?

“An amateur practices until he can get it right… a profession practices until he can’t get it wrong.”

-unknown

“Nothing I do can’t be done with a 10 year-old…with 15 years of practice.”

-Harry Blackstone, Jr.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
I feel practice, obviously apart from the actual performance, is the single most important aspect of our art. Without our practice… we are nothing. Although we may seem like miracle workers to our audiences, each sleight, each effect, requires more practice than they could ever know. And the sad truth is, most magicians neglect practice more than they would like to admit. And they are disappointed when their performances bomb. Please guys, if you truly want to be the great magician we all know you are striving be… you must practice!

I know that there have been a lot of hypothetical situation in this essay, but I feel they help me get my point across, and do it rather well. So let’s continue on with this one. Once again, we’re assuming that you have listened to my advice, bought books, and practiced effects out of those book until your hands bled… then practiced some more. You’re ready… or at least you think we are. You are forgetting one thing; your audience. If you think back to close to the beginning of this essay (I know that’s a long ways back!) you will remember that I talked about how spectators don’t usually see magic, therefore your performance may be the last time in their lives that they get to witness magic, so make them the best they can be. Yes, this paragraph does tie into my essay, although very distantly. In order to make your performances good, try to remember this: respect and connect with your audience.

Respecting your audience is something I consider to be common sense, and I feel that I may even be insulting your intelligence by telling you this. But, being a magician and constantly representing our art, you should respect anyone you meet… spectator or not… heck, even if you’re not a magician. This means mind your manners, act intelligent, and don’t insult them… all the stuff you should be doing anyway. Once again… common sense, people!

Connecting with your audience is a bit harder, and not something I consider to be common sense, or common knowledge for most people. It is something that is done on an emotional level, and although it may seem difficult on the surface, it is really quite simple in practice. Connecting with your audience is something that I really can’t define very well, except for “making your audience like you; bonding with them.” There are many ways of doing this, and you’ll have to experiment a little bit with it, but I can give you some ideas. First, to be an entertaining and fun magician, you have to be a person that’s fun to be around. A fun person is going to be easier to like than a boring, quiet person (no offense to all you boring, quiet magicians out there!). Second, throw some jokes in there, be funny and entertaining, and really bond with your audience… making your performance a fun and easy experiment to remember. Is this sounding a bit redundant to you, too?

If you do these two things, and follow all the other rules of performing laid down by previous masters of the art, your audience will be left with a memorable experience that is fun to recall, and an overall respect for our art.

I know that we just got done discussing respect, but it’s time to go there again. I feel that a major problem with magic is that laymen do not respect it as an art. Many people discard it as fake, dumb, or a past-time or hobby. But, if they have seen even one bad magic performance, who can blame them?

Another thing that I don’t get is magicians being labeled as “losers” or “social outcasts” solely because they are magicians. I think one way we can help prevent this is to get to know people as ourselves, before performing magic for them. Magic used to be the first thing I did when I met someone new, and now I’m sure this was such a good thing. So, when I joined the Cross Country team earlier this ear, I decided to meet the other members as a person first, rather than as a magician, and they liked me. About two months into practices, I finally decided to whip out the cards. The first effect I performed was the Invisible Deck… and it absolutely killed. So a piece of advice to you teenagers out there… if you want to increase your reactions, meet new people first as a person, then as a magician.

Now that we have criticized our spectator for not respecting magic as an art, maybe it’s time to turn the Mirror of Respect inwards… towards ourselves. We’re always blaming other people… even other magicians, but what are we ourselves doing about the lack of respect of magic?

We’ve talked about exposure, practicing, what to learn your material from, performing, and countless other subjects, but we haven’t talked about the artists, the magicians, being possible culprits for the lack of respect of magic. Is it as much our faults as laymen’s?

The definition of an artist is somebody who creates, evolves, and betters themselves. For the most part, I think most of us are doing two of these things: evolving and bettering ourselves. And if you ask me, we’re doing a great job of it. However, there’s one thing that a lot of us don’t do… create. I for one hardly ever create effects… it’s just not what I’m good at; no natural talent for it at all. I am in now way trying to make excuses for myself… it’s just one of those things that I’m not good at.

Originality is another thing that I think should define an artist. As we start off, I think it’s great to buy material to use, as long as we have original performances of that material. However, as we grow in our art, I think we should expect more from our peers; we should expect at least a little original material from each other, with increasingly better performances as we continue performing. However, a growing trend these days is to perform non-original material with an even les-original performance. Think this is helping our art be respected more? Nope.

Earlier in my essay I made a comparison between a musician and a magician; art vs. art. Well, believe it or not, we’re going to hit briefly on other arts vs. magic again. Many other arts, including film and music, are greatly celebrated as performance arts. They have huge, televised award ceremonies for great performers of their art, where the winners receive trophies, honor, and get to tell the whole world, in a speech, how important their art is. In know it won’t happen, but don’t you guys think that it would be awesome if we magicians had our own award ceremonies? I certainly do…

And the last thing I want to talk about is something I find ridiculous, but I’ll talk about it briefly nonetheless. Some people believe that there is nothing wrong with our art. That it’s all in our head… that we’re trying to give the appearance of a struggling artist trying to make his way in the world. But I think I have disproved all these ridiculous ideas with the thing I’ve mentioned in this essay. Sorry for those guys that are of those opinions!

Well, this essay is drawing to a close (I’m sure a lot of you are thinking, “finally!”) and to be honest, I’m thankful. I’ve spent countless hours on this piece of literature, used a lot of paper and ink, and many Tylenols to ease the headaches it has given me. I have seriously put all my free time over the past few weeks over the past few weeks, and I hope you appreciate the work that went into it… it was definitely worth it. Congratulations if you made it through the whole thing, and thank you

http://forum.freeboards.net/viewtopic.php?t=89&mforum=djc
is more easy to read this essay here

Nov 1, 2007
There are award ceremonies for magic. They just aren't as popular or accessible as other such ceremonies.

The only problem I had here is the book vs. DVD issue. In magic, it's almost automatic that people say, Books = God's gift to learning, DVDs = abominations to all human decency. And it's just not true. Watching DVDs to learn magic doesn't make you uncreative or incompetent - it's watching the same DVDs as everyone else that does that. With a DVD, you have the ability to see, in real-time, a magician perform the sleights and handling of an effect. You can see it! That's a very powerful learning tool, almost a 1-on-1 with that magician. The magician who completely shuns DVDs is limiting themselves. I'll read a book, lecture notes, whatever, absorb the material... but give me that same exact material, completely the same, on DVD, and I'll jump for it. I'd rather have a magician show me than tell me.

There's a lot of awesome books to learn from, some of which are just plain essential to have (Bobo and Giobbi, I'm looking at you), but there's also some great DVDs out there, too! Are some bad? Sure. There's bad books, too. Are many overpriced for what they show? Yep. Yet, some DVDs have effects you can't learn in books, or that showcase the handling better on video.

In short, try both avenues. Don't say, I only use books, or, I'm just a more visual learner because you're afraid you won't look smart or capable (not everyone does, but plenty of us have). Learn how YOU want to learn, and WHAT you want to learn. It's your magic, not a forum's.

Sep 9, 2007
the only thing i think that's wrong with magic (and this goes for many things not magic) is that there's too many people trying to figure out what's wrong.

" REAL magic is dead"
"things aren't what they used to be"
"this site is better than that site"

all sorts of comments like those do nothing productive, and only cause infighting.

but that's humanity for you....

Sep 1, 2007
Odds are I now have many of you desperately groping for a memory that just isn’t there. To be honest with you, most people have lives other than the internet and figuring out magic tricks (except for a select few… and you know who you are). In other words, the majority of the people don’t even know such things as exposure videos even exist.

True, very true.

Something else that ties into excessive exposure quite nicely is excessive secrecy. The truth is, we’re too afraid of letting out a few secrets every once in a while to help out the new generation of magicians, that it encourages these new magicians to get out of the art as quickly as possible.

Many older magicians are, like I hinted earlier, guarding an empty safe. Something inside of them doesn’t want them to help new magicians, to teach them a few cool things… to refuse to be mentors. What they fail to realize is that these new magicians whom they are unwilling to help are the future of magic. They are the next David Copperfields, Harry Houdinis, and Lee Ashers! So please, to all you older magicians: help us to be the best we can be! To better ourselves and to better the future of our art!

What I like to refer to as kvlt kiddie syndrome. PM me if you want the etymology.

So essentially, by making magic so mainstream and easily accessible, we are brining in more bad magicians and lowering the overall opinion of magic.

I myself take that as a personal challenge.

We’ve all played the devil’s advocate for exposure before, pretending as if it’s helping “poor” magicians and brining new magicians into our art. But is it really? I don’t think it is. Personally, I think that exposure in itself gives magic a horrible image. An image that says we’re too cheap and don’t care about our art enough to respect the creators and pay our dues when dues are due.

You yourself just said that the majority of people who know of exposure videos are magicians. Now they're lowering the gneeral public's opinion of magic even though the general public os oblivious to them?

I truly believe that those days were when magic was at its best.

I would argue that this is the most exciting time to be a magician since Robert Houdin redefined the art.

When they finally give up, and people see this, people get the idea that magic is not an art, but a mere past-time… a hobby… a view that is becoming more and more popular these days.

Again, I take that as a personal challenge.

Every magician's most commonly asked question is, "How did you do that?" The question I get asked only slightly less often is, "Is there some kind of college you had to go to learn this?"

I trust you can figure out the implication.

Maybe the serious hobbies, such as arts and crafts, modeling, etc… but I don’t believe that our art is something to be messed with and played like a game. In fact… maybe magic shouldn’t even be in the store at all. Nobody actually buys magic from Target or Wal-Mart, except for the cute little kids looking for cool tricks to show their little buddies at recess.

The same could be said for any other art, but I wouldn't dream of it.

Let’s pretend for a second that you’re a layman. You don’t know anything about the art, expect that you want to start wowing people as soon as you possibly can. Your first thought is the internet, so you run to your computer and type “magic tricks” into Google. The first site that pops up is “Ellusionist”. You enter the site and are immediately sucked in by their cool site design and great advertising. You end up spending more money than you care to tell people. However, when the package arrives and you rip it open, you are greatly disappointed when you realize that you could have spent the same amount of money on books rather than one-effect DVDs and Instant Downloads and received enough magic material to last you the rest of your life.

I actually got my start with Ellusionist's beginner material like How To Do Street Magic, Inside Magic, the Crash Course series...

I don't regret any of my decisions because it's pointless, stupid, and just holds me back.

In my honest opinion, sites like Ellusionist are slowly but surely cheapening and ruining our art. At their head is Brad Christian, whose mediocre at best card handling skills make him think he is the god of all magicians… when in reality he is just a business man looking to take the money of dumb teenagers who think that magic will make them “cool” and “popular”. Although magic may do these things for a successful performer, magic was meant to entertain the audience, not to be used for personal gain.

Well, it's all downhill from here. Ellusionist is constantly being demonized because (gasp) they make money! (shock) They attract teenagers! (horror) They cater to newbies! What a nightmare!

Honestly, I'm sick to death of hearing it.

I also feel that, although a good thing in rare circumstances, these technological advances in the teaching of our art are overall bad things for our art.

This oughta be good.

Of course, we as magicians are always complaining about kids on YouTube exposing our beloved effects, but they are also the exact crowd we market to by releasing DVDs and Instant Downloads.

Define we.

The younger magicians don’t want to practice, and truly care about our art, sot hey buy the DVDs with one effect, advertised as being “simple”, “sleight-less”, and “able to be mastered in seconds.” Naturally, the teenagers are attracted by this alleged “instant popularity”.

Revelation: that kind of advertising in magic has been going on for the better part of a century. Why do so many magicians think that this is a new phenomenon?

My opinion is, although I think DVDs can be great learning resources, that magicians should stay away from them, and learn from books.

Saw that one coming.

Yes, DVDs can be a great learning resource, but we should never use them. Somehow, that's good logic to a lot of people.

Although I know this won’t happen, because magic companies are mainly and foremost about money;

Or maybe because DVDs offer an intimacy in teaching that books can't? Possibly?

their main customers being teenagers, they are obviously going to try to market mainly to them.

Best to learn young.

What I mean by this is that they are mostly in it for the money… they are businessmen, and do not care about our art. If they truly cared about the future of this great art, they would still advertise to the new magicians, yet, but they should be marketing the products where true magic is… books.

Are you implying that magic on DVD doesn't count as actual magic?

Your elitism is spiralling out of control at this point. You're arguing against the days of jealous secrecy, backstabbing, and political rivalry, but at the same time telling us to go back to the conditions that bred that environment in the first place.

Anyway, you also seem to be falling into the trap of thinking that only starving artists are true artists. Apparently, making money is evil and not artistic.

Sep 1, 2007
This would tell me that the website is not only marketing to more mature people that are willing to put a lot of time into magic by learning from books, but also that they really, really care about the art, not just money.

In other words, none of those young whippersnappers and newbies cluttering up the place.

So new magicians… buy a lot of books and you’ll be set for life!

Learning exclusively from books is just as foolish as learning exclusively from DVDs. Just ask Eugene Burger and Jeff McBride. See, I can namedrop, too.

So you tell me… is more material a good thing?

In moderation, yes. Compare Jay Sankey's earlier material with the period where he was cranking about a dozen new DVDs out every year. He's cut back on that, and quality is coming back. Hundred Dollar Miracles is a great DVD because it contains a lot of material Jay has spent years working with.

Of course, as soon as you got them, you quickly scanned through the pages, found a few tricks that you liked, practiced for 15 minutes, and hit the streets!

I did?

Anybody besides me think it’s time for more quotes?

No.

I feel practice, obviously apart from the actual performance, is the single most important aspect of our art. Without our practice… we are nothing.

This is true.

And the sad truth is, most magicians neglect practice more than they would like to admit. And they are disappointed when their performances bomb. Please guys, if you truly want to be the great magician we all know you are striving be… you must practice!

This also is true. Eugene Burger goes to great lengths to emphasize the importance of rehearsing scripts and fine-tuning the choreography of a routine. De'Vo doesn't even call it practicing. He calls it training.

Respecting your audience is something I consider to be common sense, and I feel that I may even be insulting your intelligence by telling you this.

Not really. I find magicians in general to be egotists and show offs.

So a piece of advice to you teenagers out there… if you want to increase your reactions, meet new people first as a person, then as a magician.

At its heart, what these kids are doing is trying to barter for social status. That's also why they expose.

I'm 23, and my teenage years sucked enough that they're still a fresh memory in my mind. I consider it a blessing in disguise as I can still remember that motivations and emotions going through my head in those years, but now I'm able to better understand them.

Most people, teenagers in particular, are not comfortable in their own skin, and who can blame them? They're having massive choices and responsibilities foisted on them in a time when they're ill-equipped to deal with them, while also facing social pressures and a bitterness toward a system that they're beginning to realize has been lying to them for years.

Magic, music, filmmaking... the arts become an outlet for some, and a chance to bargain for better social status for others. The problem being that they don't understand how it works.

Now that we have criticized our spectator for not respecting magic as an art, maybe it’s time to turn the Mirror of Respect inwards… towards ourselves. We’re always blaming other people… even other magicians, but what are we ourselves doing about the lack of respect of magic?

Is it as much our faults as laymen’s?

Durr-hey.

The definition of an artist is somebody who creates, evolves, and betters themselves. For the most part, I think most of us are doing two of these things: evolving and bettering ourselves. And if you ask me, we’re doing a great job of it.

You give them more credit than I do.

Adjones:

Very nicely put, and I agree, for the most part. I actually have had people say they know how I did something because they saw it on Youtube, and have had others go home and search for it, find me the next day, and explain to me how I did an effect. These occasions are rare, nonetheless they still exist and have ruined certain effects for said people. Another thing that I believe should be clarified is DVD vs Ripoffs...Single effect DVDs to a beginner are ripoffs (if you have been into the art for a while they are not however as you [generally] know what you are getting yourself into), however you cannot say that DVDs such as Johnny Thompson's Commercial Classics, and Dai Vernon's Revelation tapes are bad and hurting the art. Those are my only two real issues with your post, otherwise great job.

Another thing I would just like to add however is "...Magic Shops are going to kill magic!"........."Audio Tapes are going to kill magic!"....."VHS is going to kill magic!"...These are all things we have heard before and magic has still survived. Although I do believe there are many things wrong with magic as an art, I do not think it will ever die. Just because people know how things are done, does not mean that that person is not going to hire a magician to their next party. Think about it this way with the following 2 examples.

A layperson is having a birthday, like magic, and knows how it is "all" done and wants to have magic at their party. Are they (a) going to perform at their own birthday, or (b) hire someone else to perform who can (or should) be able to blow the birthday boy/girl away with at least one effect?

A professional magician who does 300 shows a year hears about Copperfield performing...Chances are they're going to cough up the 100 bucks and go to see him- not to be amazed, but to see what he is doing and to see if they can learn anything not only from the performance itself, but maybe even get some pointers from the man himself after the show.

...Just my 2 cents.

~David Rysin

P.S. Common Sense stopped being common about a decade ago...

Sep 1, 2007
I disagree with how you say "dvds are bad for learning magic." I learned most of my magic from DVDs, I'm not gonna lie, but I also learn things from my magic books. DVDs allow you to learn faster, and also you can be more sure that you are doing a certain method correctly with it. In my opinion, DVDs as a whole have better material than books, because they are easier to sell if the performance can be seen, so creators put their best effects in DVDs for money. I consider myself a great card handler, and I have compiled a list of all the effects that I would actually use, and have been adding on new tricks I consider worthy of performing.
Out of all of them, only 3 have come from books I have read. The disadvantage of books that I don't like is that you cannot see the effect being performed, so you may be wasting your time reading the method, only to realize that you would never use it. I agree that the teaching in books is very good and descriptive, but the learning is clearly slower. I have 4 card magic books, and I don't really use that many effects from them, but rather some of the great sleights in them. As for coin magic, I have Bobo's, and I must say, that it is a great book. I have learned 75 percent of what I know of coin magic from that book, it was easier to pick what to learn as there are great performances of the sleights on MVD, thus I can save my time and learn what seems to be good.

Also, E is not an evil, bastardly company as many of you see it as. I, personally dislike them for their rip-off prices and crappy effects, but you gotta admit, they are a VERY successful business. They target teenagers and kids who want to be "cool," and these kids buy their products. They are the same as any good company in the world, selling products and targeting specific consumers.

Aug 31, 2007
California
Alrighty =)

I will say this once, and one time only.

Exposure is not the reason magic isn't seen as an art these days.

The problem is the magicians and how the magic is being performed. STOP blameing exposure and other magic sites and such, and start going to the source of where it is coming from. The "magicians". Look at the whole majority of what "Youtube" viewers and tv viewers see. They see Criss, Phenomon, and such.
I am not saying what Criss is doing is bad, I'm just saying it isn't the best thing, but that is up to him. Phenomon... Just seemed to be a joke. From cheezy, terrible performances, to cheezy, terrible fights.

But still, look at the majority of "magicians" out there in this era. The majority of them are "teens" that, honestly, don't know what they are doing. Some of you may look at me and say... well, arn't you one of them? I could answer that question with a yes, in the way that I am 15. But I would say no to the the part about not knowing what I am doing. I know How much I have to learn. But I am the path. I know what I need to learn and how. Do you?

Most of the users here, and E, and such are around the 14-16 age or are just starting in this beautiful art we call magic. They are starting at E or here. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. These are great places to start. But most stay at these places, never to move on. THAT is the problem. They arn't expanding to other things. Books, other "websites", CONVENTIONS, LECTURES, talking to more experienced magicians. Not doing the above, is just keeping you from becoming all that you can become.

Most use the excuse that they do not have the money to... buy a book? go to a convention, lecture, etc. Well... I would say you are just being lazy. Save money. Go to your local magic shop often... Just visiting your shop, you are learning. Stop saying you can't. And say you will. If you are near Vegas, or would make the trip there, check into LVMI (Las Vegas Magic Invitational) this year in June. It is cheaper than most conventions and is smaller. Great Learning exerience.

To sum everything up. Stop being lazy. Stop performing bad magic. WORK. If you believe magic CAN be an art, than make yours an art. Pick up Strong Magic, Absolute Magic, Designing Miracles and such and read them a few times. Adjust it to your magic. It will change you, for the good.

Keenan

P.S.: If you don't like Ellusionist for releasing over priced effects, than stop buying every effect that gets released by these websites and think about if you can actually use the effect in your act, or if it even fits you. Then, you won't have to worry about the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
P.S.: If you don't like Ellusionist for releasing over priced effects, than stop buying every effect that gets released by these websites and think about if you can actually use the effect in your act, or if it even fits you. Than, you won't have to worry about the price.

About time somebody else said it. In my experience, those who complain about marketing are the ones who ignorantly got burned by it but aren't mature enough to learn from the experience.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Well I don't have a clue about how the magic community is. But if kids are the future of magic, I'm a bit worried how that will turn out.

I mean have you ever read Youtube comments? You have definitely seen A LOT of horrible performed tricks. Ok these are all teenage kids exploiting the internets, but really when i was 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 etc. Even I wasn't as stupid as all these people who posts on Youtube.

Someone on these forums has a great quote by George Carlin about stupidity.

Anyways in an art that has to keep secrets which needs to be perfected to look good and natural will have exposure problems and people doing things really poorly. Impatient **** kids will go out and perform them horribly and even reveal just to be cool in their stupid kid mind.

Man so much nonsense ranting :D

I hope people gets offended :)

Aug 31, 2007
California
About time somebody else said it. In my experience, those who complain about marketing are the ones who ignorantly got burned by it but aren't mature enough to learn from the experience.

I agree.

I'm sick of people making excuses. STOP making excuses and work.

It is going to take time and hard work to get to where you want to be. So do it.

Keenan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results